Painting a MTB Frame?

ChristopherJC

Hi all,

I'm busy upgrading from a HT to a dual..

I've bought the frame and am waiting for it to arrive. I'd like to do a custom pain job B)

Is there anyone in the CPT area that has done this, successfully? "Successfully" being the operative word here!!

Any help / tips would be appreciated from the JHB boys too.

Tx,

CJC

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try BMC Cycles (Next to Avrons Place) .... just remember now that you are running a Duallie you still need to put the slime into the tubes BEFORE you ride .... not sure BMC will have the hart to paint the frame black and Orange :)

So share ... what frame have you bought ... you will need to post before and after pictures!

H

Fayaz conversions in mitchells plein. Things are done different in the cape, and they can hook you up with lumo go fast stripes and a free flow bb if you pay upfront.

Hairy, the make is the reason I am painting it. Can you think of anything in particular I'd be ashamed of downgrading to from a SCOTT? :rolleyes:

There will be plenty pics! I'm keen to try and do it myself.. but umm, yes.

There will definately be some orange!! That's for sure haha..

Thanks Tristan, I will pop over there now and have a look! Do you know if they are based in CPT?

Shebeen, I'm not really a fan of freeflows - too noisy ;) But thanks haha

I resprayed my frame. You can take it along to a panelbeater if you are not happy to do it yourself or do not have the equipment.

The frame needs to be waterpapered down and decals removed, speak to a spraypainter, you can save money doing this yourself. Best to use a basecoat, waterpaper with a 2000 grit waterpaper and apply decals and then clear coat on top. If no decals spray clear straight onto base coat. Custom work needs masking and waterpapering and add colours in layers. Any spraypainter worth his salt will be able to do this.

I used a spraypainter in Jo'Burg, R380.00

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/war63423/Trance001.jpg

Plentipotential, that looks sick. I am going to give the DIY a try.

I am just a little concerned about the welds/joins? So you used 2000 grit, wet, the whole time? I've watched some videos etc..

I think that I'm going to sand it and then take it to a sprayer :)

Tarmac - shhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

To strip the paint you can use the new Plascon waterbased paint stripper. In corners and bends you can use a wire brush. Then just flat it with some 800-1200 grip water paper. Don't touch the bare metal with your hands as the oil from your body will affect the primer. Prime it with some thin coats. Give it a thin coat of base colour. Apply decals. Apply a few thin coats 2k clear coat. Let it dry. A few more coats especial over the decals. When dry, sand down edges of decals untill all is smooth. Give last coat of clear and let dry for 1 week.

Mampara, thank you boet. You have just got the idea into my head to try to do it all myself! Hell if I fail, I'll take it to the Pros.

I will do a little picture-diy-how-to on the Hub too for others to see / learn from my mistakes!

*off to the hardware store*

To strip the paint you can use the new Plascon waterbased paint stripper. In corners and bends you can use a wire brush. Then just flat it with some 800-1200 grip water paper. Don't touch the bare metal with your hands as the oil from your body will affect the primer. Prime it with some thin coats. Give it a thin coat of base colour. Apply decals. Apply a few thin coats 2k clear coat. Let it dry. A few more coats especial over the decals. When dry, sand down edges of decals untill all is smooth. Give last coat of clear and let dry for 1 week.

let dry for 1 week. ... is there no way to speed up the curing time?

let dry for 1 week. ... is there no way to speed up the curing time?

in an oven or under drying lamps yes.

When I had my fixie sprayed by a panelbeater I screwed old external BB cups in, bolts into all the places bolts could go and also put in some old headset cups. Even went so far as to put an old seatpost in to make sure that I would have no problems fitting everything back when I got it.

Just a thought use it don't use it .....

in an oven or under drying lamps yes.

in an oven ... not sure my wife will fall for that one. I assume the Panel shops then either "bake" their work or place it under lamps to be able to move more on the floor?