South Africa needs its own TDF

Cyclejourno

The Tour de Eden was the last of the bigger road stage races and that was cancelled at the last minute a few years ago due to lack of sponsorship - they were short R250K or something like that.

The Giro del Capo has also gone from a UCI ranked stage race event to an almost cancelled multi day race. A bit sad!

Perhaps with the success of the Road, BMX and MtB events in PMB (past and present), and with LA being out here recently and loving it, people can start stringing these successes together and pull something out of it.

The Tour Down Under started small and only became a UCI/Pro Tour event later. I imagine it was the same with the Tour of California/Georgia/Missouri etc.

Yes the idea is to give it a high UCI ranking. I like the idea of calling it Toer van Suid Afrika to give it an original South African feel.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be 9 days, and on a par with the Tour Down Under.

Start in Durbs, go inland up to Underberg and Himeville then down the Wildcoast and finish in Capetown.

As said, the Table mountain in background would be a nice finish.

Fantastic idea and instead of the odd traffic circle or roundabout as the french call it as obstacles, we can through in the odd pothole or two. :lol:

The Tour de Eden was the last of the bigger road stage races and that was cancelled at the last minute a few years ago due to lack of sponsorship - they were short R250K or something like that.

The Giro del Capo has also gone from a UCI ranked stage race event to an almost cancelled multi day race. A bit sad!

Perhaps with the success of the Road, BMX and MtB events in PMB (past and present), and with LA being out here recently and loving it, people can start stringing these successes together and pull something out of it.

The Tour Down Under started small and only became a UCI/Pro Tour event later. I imagine it was the same with the Tour of California/Georgia/Missouri etc.

I think cash [a big sponsor] has been part of the problem. And infighting at CSA. The new CSA [a bit like the new SA?] says they will be more rider centric from now on. Does that mean they'll try to put the riders first and their interests ahead of their own?

I think cash [a big sponsor] has been part of the problem. And infighting at CSA. The new CSA [a bit like the new SA?] says they will be more rider centric from now on. Does that mean they'll try to put the riders first and their interests ahead of their own?

Definitely. I believe it's outlined in their 2020 Vision. Right after the scheduled return of Elvis in a UFO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Tour of SA has been confirmed with the UCI and was awarded 2.2 status and will be a 7day stage race in early February 2011

Woah! tell us more! What does 2.2 status mean and what calibre of team / rider can we expect?

First "2" means multi-day event.

Second "2" means second level.

"." means bit that goes in the middle.

So a UCI 2.2 event is a UCI second level multi day event. By contrast, that major event, the Tour of Britain is rated 2.1.

Ok. Tour of Britain is not that major. What would Tour Down Under and Tour of Qatar be? Wonder who is organising and promoting the event?

Ok. Tour of Britain is not that major. What would Tour Down Under and Tour of Qatar be? Wonder who is organising and promoting the event?

CSA is organising the event through Barry Mocke. I've written an article on it, which should be available in an upcoming Bicycling. It's not quite on par with the Tour Down Under 2.HC and Tour of California 2.HC. But maybe soon we'll get there.

I been reading some of the proposed hubbers routes and opinions... interesting but as a 2.2 race the organizers are restricted by the following uci regulations so lets start thinking inline with these regulations.

Max ave daily distance 180km

Max dist per stage 240km

max distance itt 60km

max dist ttt 60km

so trying to take the race through all 9 provinces will never happen... (transfers are tedious and costly!)

The teams allowed to compete will be

-UCI professional continental teams

- UCI continental teams

- National teams

- Regional and club teams

- African mixed teams

so no pro tour team will take part in the ToSA 2011

we need to consider the route needs to be spectator friendly (take it through towns, large towns), rider challenging (mixture of flat,hilly,mountainous stages), tourist attracting (take in SA's finest areas) and logistically viable (quality roads, sufficient accommodation).

ill been thinking of a route for ages now... when i finally figure it out ill post it here :)