South Africa needs its own TDF

Cyclejourno

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the one with Willie in the top spot.

Which one was the one where willies bottle was "spiked"?

Just keep the name south african. No tour de ..... or giro de ..... ****. Name it toer van suid afrika or something more local.

The Tour de Eden was the last of the bigger road stage races and that was cancelled at the last minute a few years ago due to lack of sponsorship - they were short R250K or something like that.

The Giro del Capo has also gone from a UCI ranked stage race event to an almost cancelled multi day race. A bit sad!

Perhaps with the success of the Road, BMX and MtB events in PMB (past and present), and with LA being out here recently and loving it, people can start stringing these successes together and pull something out of it.

The Tour Down Under started small and only became a UCI/Pro Tour event later. I imagine it was the same with the Tour of California/Georgia/Missouri etc.

Guest Big H

Krugersdorp and then the winner can propose to his future wife on the podium ;)

Man those were the days, the heydays of great S.A. cycling.

Wanneer was jy laas in Krugersdorp..... hartseer plek daai. Ek was een oggend daar in 'n slaghuis. Hartverskeurend om te sien hoe mamma pleit vir krediet vir kos terwyl dronk pappa net droewors wil koop. Ja in daai plek kry hulle tieties voor hulle tanne kry!!!!!!!!

'n Seuntjie was polony kom koop vir R10-00 dan die pakkie skelm oopmaak buite die winkel, een velletjie afsteel and hardloop huistoe met middagete.

Mens met ;n vol maag en werk spot nie oor sulke dinge nie.

I was in High school when they came through Kroonstad, we ran to the fence and when they passed us the wind generated by the bunch was frightning, I will never forget that day, Lekker ou Raport toer. Later one of my friends working with me rode for the B team, P. Veldman.

I think best would be to start and finish in the Western Cape. You dont want a situation where you hit the Lesotho mountains after 3 days and then the leaderboard is for all practical reasons over and done with.

Maybe throw in a TT or Team TT for good measure.

Imagine a Prologue somewhere between Chapmans / Greenpoint or in Knysna. Will make for great publicity for tourism as well.

I'm getting excited now.(and i'm also a Mtbiker, not a very successful one I might add)

Wanneer was jy laas in Krugersdorp..... hartseer plek daai. Ek was een oggend daar in 'n slaghuis. Hartverskeurend om te sien hoe mamma pleit vir krediet vir kos terwyl dronk pappa net droewors wil koop. Ja in daai plek kry hulle tieties voor hulle tanne kry!!!!!!!!

'n Seuntjie was polony kom koop vir R10-00 dan die pakkie skelm oopmaak buite die winkel, een velletjie afsteel and hardloop huistoe met middagete.

Mens met ;n vol maag en werk spot nie oor sulke dinge nie.

I cycled through there the other day (great area for roadbiking), those stories you tell are sad, I saw with my own eyes how that area has changed over the past years, it's even sadder to see that what was once a middle classed individual is now virtually a beggar with a roof over his head.

That is a discussion for another day as I am sure we will fill many pages wondering where it all went wrong.

Very sad to see but very true what you described.

Your last sentence.

That was not a "spottery", someone mentioned regarding this type of tour finishing in Parys (well they could have the winner do the Leeuloop)

I mentioned that it finished in Krugersdorp once, so there is no limitation as to where such a finish could be.

I think best would be to start and finish in the Western Cape.

Cute. You can't really call it a tour of Souf Efrika then, can you?

PS, you already have the giro del crapo, don't you? What do you want another one for?

Cute. You can't really call it a tour of Souf Efrika then, can you?

PS, you already have the giro del crapo, don't you? What do you want another one for?

I think the Western Cape has possibilities - they can ride up and down and up and down and up and down the "mowntin" like shoowa! It will be awesome!

If more cyclists enter one day races, maybe they attract more sponsors to the sport again. A South African tour would be GREAT! Start in the north Like Limpopo or Mpumalanga, ride down to KZN, back up to Free State and then down to Cape Town via PE or something.

Guest Big H

I cycled through there the other day (great area for roadbiking), those stories you tell are sad, I saw with my own eyes how that area has changed over the past years, it's even sadder to see that what was once a middle classed individual is now virtually a beggar with a roof over his head.

That is a discussion for another day as I am sure we will fill many pages wondering where it all went wrong.

Very sad to see but very true what you described.

Your last sentence.

That was not a "spottery", someone mentioned regarding this type of tour finishing in Parys (well they could have the winner do the Leeuloop)

I mentioned that it finished in Krugersdorp once, so there is no limitation as to where such a finish could be.

I just tagged on to it as I know the mentality that takes posts "south"...... or should it be "west" in this case!!!!!!

I think the Western Cape has possibilities - they can ride up and down and up and down and up and down the "mowntin" like shoowa! It will be awesome!

My dear Bloubul friends. I never said the race should be held entirely in the Western Cape. What i meant was for instance a start on the garden route, ride up the east coast, work your way over Lesotho. Spend some time in Northern part of the country, then Freestate, road transfer through karoo or northern cape and then finish in Cape Town. I think a finish under Table mountain would be very marketable.

If you take 12 stages at 200km a stage you are looking at about 2400 km that we will have at our disposal. If you a a few road transfers in there we should be able to fit almost all the provinces in.

If you take 12 stages at 200km a stage

And there's your problem... Apparently a lot of local "pro's" need to dope to ride 90km funrides once or twice a week... Until the local standard improves, shelve the national tour idea...