South Africa needs its own TDF

Cyclejourno

Lance has said SA is perfect for an off season tour, has the countryside etc.

Did he really say that (or maybe there is a tweet link)?

Apart from two rides he's done on the peninsula, one which got cancelled halfway, what does he really know about SA apart from whatever darryl impey has told him?

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but I doubt the uniballer really has seen enough to endorse the idea.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

surely our roads are just too far gone for any thing like this. If anyone has driven through lesotho (as mention has been made earlier) those are even worse. And dont get me started on the tarring of sani pass as that will end up one giant pothole in less than a year. As part of the organisation, they could conceivable temporarily "fix" the potholes, but with all the heavy traffic on the road i really dont think it would even last long enough for that??

previous CSA president, Greg Till, hinted at reviving the TOER... I think it would be brilliant to have such a toer around the good old 'ar es of ay'! I would actually go so far as even saying that I would assist in organising it, but think my bosses might have a slight problem with me taking time out.

Grumpyoldguy. Don't you need a plan first before you want to calculate the cost. So first decide how and where you want to do it. Then calculate the expected cost based on that.

You can't work out a financial plan if you don't know what you want to do.

As example: I want to extent on my house. I first need to decide what I want to do before I can get a builder for a quote, not true?

With you, but its a little differant, you will know your budget before you start building(hopefully :) ) here nobody knows what it would cost to run one day nevermind a week or three, what I am just saying is get a financial investor on the table first so you know your budget, eg we have an investor who will come to the party with a million bucks in principal, what can we do.?

I am not trying to dampen the spirit, believe me, just maybe put some reality checks in place. :)

There has been talk for ages about the possibility of tarring Sani Pass, although I am not pro the idea it would rival any climb in the TDF in terms of total ascent. Start the stage in PMB or the midlands and then finish with a mountain top finish at the top of Sani, a good 200km stage. The alpe d'huez of the Tour of SA.

The tarred section already happened.

It's only the first flat part about up to the hotel before that rough steep section starts.

previous CSA president, Greg Till, hinted at reviving the TOER... I think it would be brilliant to have such a toer around the good old 'ar es of ay'! I would actually go so far as even saying that I would assist in organising it, but think my bosses might have a slight problem with me taking time out.

well stand by for an announcement by CSA on Wednesday...about what exactly is anybody's guess. A new president or something else?

This is a great idea. And I would love to see something like this become reality. To make it happen will need serious sponsorship. A good marketing job will need to be done to win some sponsors.

This is a great idea. And I would love to see something like this become reality. To make it happen will need serious sponsorship. A good marketing job will need to be done to win some sponsors.

It *is* becoming a reality: http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/Cycling-SA-unveils-2020-vision-20100803

The route, distances, main sponsor and team will be announced in 4 weeks. Three cheers to Barry Mocke.

the FIFA world cup did good for marketing SA and it is well thought out of CSA (and sponsors) to anounce it now.

btw. SA dont need a TDF, the TDF need more saffas. wonder when more of your top mtb'ers/cyclist will start with structured doping programs and join some international pro teams. hehe (im flame proof)

the FIFA world cup did good for marketing SA and it is well thought out of CSA (and sponsors) to anounce it now.

btw. SA dont need a TDF, the TDF need more saffas. wonder when more of your top mtb'ers/cyclist will start with structured doping programs and join some international pro teams. hehe (im flame proof)

You're right, I think the FIFA World Cup added impetus to the idea, and made us realise what is possible with good organisation.

Idea for a long route.

Start in the Cape, past PE and East Londen up to Durbs.

Then turn inland.

This could be the start of the mountain stages up to JHB.

I recon the main problem would be to get decent mountain stages.

Long Tom pass, Robbers pass and thge likes comes to mind.

Maybe include some parts of Lesotho.

In at Fouriesburg up to Katse dam.

One serious climb up and then down the other side.

One could do it in reverse the next day or just after a rest day.

In that area there's no circle route. Maybe lower down.

Another route option.

Start in JHB, enter Lesotho at Fouriesburg up to Katse dam, turn around and down & out at Maseru.

Then do a bit of Free State, EC and finish in the Cape somewhere.

Could also include George if done from the Cape.

This would then include the pass going inland to Oudthoorn.

Some decent flat stages, undulating ones and nice mountains with good scenery all round.

Could well match the TDF or at least better the Tour Down Under.

It's going to be 9 days, and on a par with the Tour Down Under.

Keep the administrators out of it. Do it Cape Epic style with privateers running the show and when it grows in szie, let the administrators have a sniff on your terms.

What, you want another funriders Tour?! If you want UCI registered pro's to ride, you have to have administrators involved! Fact of life - even the Epic does it that way

Look, if you want the Euro pro's to ride it, then you have to have it BEFORE their season starts, but not so that it clashes with other tours like Qatar or TDU. Also make sure the heat doesn't kill them (like the World's View Challenge), so KZN might be a bit much in Feb to handle. Throw in lots of mountains and little transfers between points.

I would love to see a coastal ride from the North, through the Eastern Cape finishing in Cape Town. Believe me, you want it finishing with the mountain in the background. can't beat that for an image (just ask the soccer guys!)

Believe me, you want it finishing with the mountain in the background. can't beat that for an image (just ask the soccer guys!)

that was not a mountain, it was a mine dump. :lol:

well looks like south africa will be getting a tour de sa sometime next year...just announce by MR. Mocke on supersport blitz....looks like a 9 day tour....

Let's hope it doesn't die a silent death like the "Tour of South Africa" did. Big launch, noise on SuperSport and then.....nothing.