MTB: Tyre Liners or Sealant

ivan888

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an extra, though, I would suggest using a sealant like OKO, etc, instead of "pre-slimed" tubes.

Why ?

Plenty good stuff on the market ;)

Yip, and all mostly better than the pre slimed tubes stuff...

Why ?

Sealants like OKO have like little particles in them which plug holes better that most straight slimes.

Sealants like OKO have like little particles in them which plug holes better that most straight slimes.

So does Slime and Specialized sealant as well as even the cheaper Raleigh sealant.

Just remember that the weight of your bike's rim/tube/tire (I don't mention hubs here because their diameter is so small that the type of weight difference one sees here will result in a very small difference in force required to turn a light/heavy hub. IMO differences here are mostly thanks to better bearing systems.) is the place where weight saving will make the biggest difference.

Personally I run only liners and only once did a thorn sneak through. I did manage to finish the race before the tire was to flat to ride on...

Most of us will notice 100g extra in our wheels.

If you guys running double protection don't believe me, test it. Take out your liner and heavy slime tube and go for a quick spin with just a normal tube... You'll see what you're dragging around with you very quickly... Then quickly put back your liners and slime before you puncture your spare tube! :P

My 2cents worth.

I have been running tubeless for 4 months now after going the joes no tubes route.Running Conti Mountain Kings Protection.

I am not a race winning rider.

For:

You can run lower pressure so it's a softer ride.

Handles better in the corners.

No punctures in 4 months.

Cons:

Tyres lose pressure very fast and have to pump them every 4 days.

It's a huge hassle taking tyres off or puting new ones on.

Sealant leaks out the sidewall every now and then.

I have been doing the stans tubeless conversion for 1 year now in the first 6 months I had the same problem having to pump up the tires every 4 days and Sealant leaking out of the sidewall every now and then.

One day I was inspecting the sidewall of my tire and saw that there was a line running on the tire about 5mm for the edge of the rim but in 2 places the line was less than 5mm form the rim almost going into the rim, I then realized that although it looked like it seated and the tire was keeping its pressure the tire had not seated properly.

I used a tire leaver to work a bit on the tire where it was not seating properly deflated it and inflating it again had to do this about 3 time until everything seated properly. Now no more sealant leaking out and tires keeps pressure for 2 weeks and then only lose max 0.5 bar.

My 2cents worth.I have been running tubeless for 4 months now after going the joes no tubes route.Running Conti Mountain Kings Protection.I am not a race winning rider.For:You can run lower pressure so it's a softer ride.Handles better in the corners.No punctures in 4 months.Cons:Tyres lose pressure very fast and have to pump them every 4 days.It's a huge hassle taking tyres off or puting new ones on.Sealant leaks out the sidewall every now and then.

You should be able to fix that leak somehow. My bike has been standing for 7 weeks and haven't lost any pressure. Running a race king protection and crossmark ust with stans

In the pre-tubeless days, we tried all the options.

The Sun City race ,as well as those first Mabalingwe's were notorious as puncture prone events.

The worst times I ever had was when I decided to double up my protection and go with liners and fluid filled tubes.

I noticed that the thorn would penetrate the liner and not get all the way through to the tube, this would then repeatedly pierce holes in the tube causing me to have endless punctures, even with the fluid in the tubes.

This was just from personal experience so it's not gospel, as a newbie to the sport my advice would be.

A good fluid filled tube (the sealant that you find works for you)

First prize is to convert to tubeless as already mentioned a good few times in this thread.

So does Slime and Specialized sealant as well as even the cheaper Raleigh sealant.

Raleigh uses Slime, I believe.

I've seen many off-the-shelf pre-slimed tubes preform terribly.

Raleigh uses Slime, I believe.

I've seen many off-the-shelf pre-slimed tubes preform terribly.

They have their own Raleigh branded BOTTLE of sealant, it's NOT Slime.

They have their own Raleigh branded BOTTLE of sealant, it's NOT Slime.

Which, if they're using Slime in their pre-filled tubes could very likely come from the same source?

OKO rocks but it tends to even block up the valve. I always need to carry around a valve core remover just in case. But I've never had a puncture after > 2000km mostly on puncture valley tar