MTB: Tyre Liners or Sealant

ivan888

In the pre-tubeless days, we tried all the options.

The Sun City race ,as well as those first Mabalingwe's were notorious as puncture prone events.

The worst times I ever had was when I decided to double up my protection and go with liners and fluid filled tubes.

I noticed that the thorn would penetrate the liner and not get all the way through to the tube, this would then repeatedly pierce holes in the tube causing me to have endless punctures, even with the fluid in the tubes.

This was just from personal experience so it's not gospel, as a newbie to the sport my advice would be.

A good fluid filled tube (the sealant that you find works for you)

First prize is to convert to tubeless as already mentioned a good few times in this thread.

This has been my experience too.

The liners retain a portion of the thorn and prevent the sealant from doing its job necessitating a tire removal in any case and negating the benefits of having sealant in the first place.

Those that scoff at weight saving of tubeless must consider the weight of two liners and the weight of three tubes (one spare) against the weight of the heavier UST tire. The tubeless setup wins by quite a margin.

Since we moved to a proper tubeless setup punctures have been few and easily repaired.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which, if they're using Slime in their pre-filled tubes could very likely come from the same source?

Are you actually reading what I typed ?

To make it simple, the Raleigh bottle sealant is not Slime.

Here is a bad cellphone picture.

post-4100-010991900 1280736230.jpg

Are you actually reading what I typed ?

To make it simple, the Raleigh bottle sealant is not Slime.

Here is a bad cellphone picture.

I actually did read what you typed. My original post to which you replied refered to adding a "like OKO" sealant instead of using some "pre-slimed" tubes. You mentioned some other brands, and I pointed that Raleigh have used Slime in their off-the-shelf-sealant tubes - useless factoid - and later posed a simple question about whether the stuff they sell in their bottles comes from the same source. Not inconceivable, is it?

Chill.

OKO rocks but it tends to even block up the valve. I always need to carry around a valve core remover just in case. But I've never had a puncture after > 2000km mostly on puncture valley tar

I have greatly reduced valve blocks just by making sure that the valve is at the top of the wheel before opening to pump.

I have greatly reduced valve blocks just by making sure that the valve is at the top of the wheel before opening to pump.

Thats a good idea. Memory muscle always makes me do it at the bottom of the wheel.

I have XT tubeless rims with Stans and Maxxis Crossmark LUST tyres....more than a year no issues...no flats....ride through thorns and rough terain....no problem...top up the STANS sealant every 2/3 months....I do not use CO2 bombs, that causes sealant to harden and tyres do delaminate...my thoughts...I am not a racer, but I do NISSAN marathons! :)

I remove block valve, clean and spray with WD40. no problem

I have XT tubeless rims with Stans and Maxxis Crossmark LUST tyres....more than a year no issues...no flats....ride through thorns and rough terain....no problem...top up the STANS sealant every 2/3 months....I do not use CO2 bombs, that causes sealant to harden and tyres do delaminate...my thoughts...I am not a racer, but I do NISSAN marathons! :)

Question on the top up. I opened my tyres before the Burger. The stans formed a "hard" bal inside the tyres Been in there for abour 4 months. I believe the "hard" bal (when in solution)is the stuff that actually seals the hole. Therefore the stans left behind is ineffective and will not seal a "big" hole. Is it not better when you top up, to first get rid of the "diluted" stans and only use "new" stans

I pointed that Raleigh have used Slime in their off-the-shelf-sealant tubes

Chill.

Not true ?

Why should I chill ?

Not true ?

Why should I chill ?

Raleigh Bicycle tyre - These tubes have been filled with Slime No 1 tube sealant in the World Seals punctures up to 2mm High Tech environmentally responsible formula keeps working where thorn...These tubes have been filled with Slime No 1 tube sealant in the World Seals punctures up to 2mm High Tech environmentally responsible formula keeps working where thorn resistant tubes stop.

Raleigh Bicycle tyre - These tubes have been filled with Slime No 1 tube sealant in the World Seals punctures up to 2mm High Tech environmentally responsible formula keeps working where thorn...These tubes have been filled with Slime No 1 tube sealant in the World Seals punctures up to 2mm High Tech environmentally responsible formula keeps working where thorn resistant tubes stop.

I think you've lost the plot.

Veteraan :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

That's UK dude, this Raleigh stuff is the Local Raleigh branded stuff.

Kevirn Evans on the label.

Too much googling and too little hands on ;)

Still doesn't make the point I made about Raleigh having used Slime invalid. :lol:

Is there a Evans Volcan sealant one on the market these day? :)

Using tyre liners with sealant is like wearing a condom when you're abstaining from sex, pointless.