Going Uphill and Resting

Clint Adams

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it ok to take a short rest after a steep uphill?

I find myself feeling a bit tired after going non stop until the top where it levels out!

What am I doing wrong

Dude!! It's an uphill...the laws of physics states that you will get tired...

BUT I found that walking up some hills give me plenty of rest...especially when i pass riders!!

Plus you have the advantage to p!ss off a WHOLE bunch of pseudo pro's...depending just where you push your bike. :D

I will check for a HRM now @ CWC!

One other thing i have checked is - on a Sunday afternoons when I take a ride after lunch i feel full of stamina going uphill. Is it because of the huge intake of carbs, starch & Sunday lunch food my wife makes?

After work in the afternoons I sometimes feel rundown when getting to the hills @ Stellenbosch mountains. Should I try and eat something before the ride or what.

Thanx for the other advice.

You don’t rest on an uphill, however getting out of the saddle every now and again helps as you are changing your muscle groups that you use to pedal. It’s important though to gear up a few notches when getting out of the saddle in order to slow down your cadence and not spike your heart rate.

It’s important though to gear up a few notches when getting out of the saddle in order to slow down your cadence and not spike your heart rate.

WTF? So Lance, Indurain, Contador, all wrong with their high cadence climbing? Oh well...

WTF? So Lance, Indurain, Contador, all wrong with their high cadence climbing? Oh well...

I've always wondered if the road climbing is the same as the MTB climbing.

isn't pedaling a bike, pedaling a bike?

MTB climbing is quite different, you still get sh!t tired, but more often then not you sit when climbing on a mtb. Off road the terrain (traction) is a big issue when climbing and you need the weight on the back wheel with a smooth pedal stroke. If your focus is on mtb, spend more time sitting when climbing to develop the muscles but standing gets important when doing long rides and improve stability.

its also suggested that if you are of the slightly bigger built members of the society (like me:(), its better to sit down as much as possible while climbing. Takes a while to teach yourself and yr muscles this, but its worth it. If you happen to weigh 50/60/70/80 kg's, you will more likely be loving the climbs and "dancing" on the pedals while standing up

MTB, just sit and pedal

Diet is extremely important before during and after a ride you can not run on empty (your car will not ride if there is no petrol)

I eat 6 times a day (small portions)and do not suffer from lack of energy,any dietician will tell you the same.

Yes, they were wrong... ;)

We were on resting/recovery, weren’t we? My point being that getting out of saddle enables you to use a different muscle group. Wrt the low cadence; there’s a difference between attacking on a climb and trying to survive to the top. I’m not saying this is the best way but it works for me. When you have almost no legs left this works as it becomes a matter of only shifting your weight. Without gearing to a higher gear I find myself going into a 3-second-long involuntary power sprint, spiking my heart rate and struggling to find the right gear even when I sit down.

I can agree that sitting when climbing on an MTB is better, specifically because it enables you to keep traction on your rear wheel, but personally I struggle with that. I blame it on spinning... I find myself getting out of the saddle for the smallest bump in the road.