Need Help buying Bike

deriknell

Groupset:

At your price range keep with Shimano. Not knocking SRAM (I ride X0), the lower-middle end of the market is dominated by Shimano - see if you can get SLX

with Hydraulic, you dont have to apply much force to the lever, especially when wet. mechanical(cable) you will have a problem in the wet, in which case you might as well just have got a very good V-Brake..

Yip pretty much on the money, dont even consider mechanical discs. GT avalanche3 not a bad bike very low spec unfortuanitly, and not sure how good the tektro brakes are. Maybe someone with experiance between shimano and tektro can let you know. I went with a silverback phoenix and absolutly love it.

The question you want to ask yourself if you are considering the silverback saturn vs GT avalance 3, is simply which one has the lightest frame (sorry dont know the answer) but besides the frame they measure up almost exactly. (think the SB has better hydrolics and slightly better drivetrain)

But you are going to want to upgrade the shocks, the rear derailures, the cranks and possibly the brakes so you have to ask yourself which "frame" is the lightest and or most confortable and would be worth upgrading in the long run.

The alternative is buy anyone of the two have blast driving it to peaces, and then upgrade to whole new level of bike once you gain more skill and knowledge.

Be assured you will love Mtb'ing. Buy yourself a decent bike from the beginning and you'll enjoy every bit of it. Buying and selling a cheaper bike initially will workout much more than buying a lighter weight bike with better specs from the outset.

I disagree with that buy a 4k bike ride it like hell learn your craft and sell it a year later for 3k.

Buy a 20k bike get a single sratch on it and sell it a month later for 10k.

Once youre good at biking and you know you have fallen in love with it then go spend the big bugs on the shiny bling.

with Hydraulic, you dont have to apply much force to the lever, especially when wet. mechanical(cable) you will have a problem in the wet, in which case you might as well just have got a very good V-Brake..

I doubt you'll get hydraulic disk brakes for R4k... Don't be too hung up about it, mechanical disk brakes work fine. No, it's not as good as hydraulics, but it works just fine.

Silverback Saturn does have shimano m486 hydrolics, and if he spends R600 more than he intends to he can get a phoenix with a better shock, hydrolics, and a deore drive train. Well well worth the extra couple of hundred.

And then finally - if you have a budget of R4k to R4.5k - you will always get a whole lot more for your cash if you have time and watch the deals that pop up on the HUB on used bikes.

Just take a mate along who knows his stuff to check it out and then start negotiating

:P :D :)

I also need help buying a bike...

...anyone willing to donate money so I can buy one of these PM me and I'll send you my bank details...

post-10758-000417200 1281529568.jpg

hahaha!

ok, but seriously... I would concur with Wrigs... look out on the Hub for bargains if you're ok with going the 2nd hand route.

i had a entry level fuji and just got a 2010 cannondale scalpel (lefty ;)) and it was SO worth the upgrade!