Boring old topic - trying to loose a couple of kilo's

when you get back from your ride don't over eat i know i tend to do it always, but i'm not planning on loosing anymore,

As tarmac mentioned eat less, just keep training and training(cycling), keep your heart rate round about the 165mark, the kilo's can't stay there, what kind of distances are you doing?

the longer your ride the less you eat, you body will start eating at reserves(body fat) for energy...

You can't cycle and not loose.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please girls just eat enough of what ever you decide to eat - nothing as volatile as a hungry woman (not even lithium)

Hey, everyone has pretty much said everything already but just a tip, try not eating within at least two hours before you exercise. Basically you burn what you eat first, so if you give it time to digest then you body will cross over to burning fats alot longer. Also if you are as fit you say you are then the cross over point will be faster too, fats are a better source of fuel for endurance. That said, dont be shy to do longer session that are less intense. So for instance, instead of going for a hour cycle at 80% of max HR, go for 1,5 hours, or 2hours at 60% max HR.. Goodluck.

I've been getting up early 5 days a week for the past 7 months, doing various cardio exercise at various intensity levels (i.e. interval training, long distance running, long distance cycling, etc). By this I mean I've been working really, really, really hard at getting fitter and faster and more in shape. Try to eat healthy, stay away from take-aways, and most food that come in packages. The thing is that I seem to be unable to loose the 4kg I've set out to loose earlier this year ....

Yes, I am fitter and faster but did not loose even 1kg of weight and still wear the same size of clothes and my shape has not changed much...

Whatever I've been doing does not seems to work and I am open for any suggestions ;)

what is your BMI ? ( i know it is only a guide)

Hi,

It's been the same for me since january...so i've started to wonder and did some research on the internet.

The answer to your question maybe harsh but simple: you may eat too much, I'm talking about calories, not volume...

Here's a website which could help you:

http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/

You can calculate the calorie intake you need to maintain your weight, and the recommended calorie intake for weight loss.

You should also do some research about calories in your usual food....it's surprising sometimes. for example, a woolworth pasta salad contains as many calories as 2 slices of bread + 1 orange juice + 1 yoghurt + 1 tbl spoon of almond butter (healthy version of peanut butter)...and as many as a large portion of french fries...

Here's what I've done to start losing weight:

- go on a healthy diet and count calories (you can find the average calories in most common foods on the internet).

- try to keep your food as "low GI" as possible and replace most high GI food (sugars, biscuits, snacks, crisps, potatoes, rice, white bread) by their "Low GI" equivalent (xylitol=natural sweetener, agave syrup= natural sweetenr, sweet potatoes, basmati rice, low gi bread: see woolworth or sasko bread, etc...). That way, you don't spike you blood sugar and your food provides sustained energy for longer, it's healthier and makes the diet much easier...you can find lists of low GI food on the internet.

- buy a heart rate monitor to calculate the calories burnt during my work outs and therfore check my calories intake. My example: i should take 2000 Calories to maintain my weight. A deficit a 500 Calories should allow me to loose 0.5kg of body fat per week: so I try to take 1500 Cal on rest days and 2000 Cal if i burn 500 calories in training. This may not be easy to do every day so you can average it on one week. And if you burn 3000 cal during a race, well, that's bonus!

Then you must train your body to burn fat during exercise and for me, a low GI diet is the way to go. If during races or training you have High GI energy drinks, bars, gels, you spike your blood sugar and use it as a primary source of energy. if you're on a low gi diet, you provide sustained energy to your body and burn more fat. There are new "low GI" bars, snacks and energy drinks available in the market.

I can tell you, i've not changed my training routine since january but i've never felt so good and energetic on a bike 9sustained energy=>no need for snacks, gels etc) since i've started the low gi diet, and i start loosing weight!

I hope this helps, good luck!

Started cycling about 5 months ago.

Managed to loose about 15kg.

Key changes to Lifestyle:

- No Sugar

- No Snacking after 8pm

- Reduced Alcohol consumption. (Especially the Hotstuff)

- Using the stairs instead of the lift at work

- I do about 100km road a week when time allows

- More regular but smaller meals during the day (Ideally Low GI)

- At least 2 to 3 servings of fruit

- Increased water intake. (Hardly drank water previously)

And thats about it.Still losing about 1kg a week. Should reach my target weight of 85kg soon.

I started eating better.

Weekday schedule.

1.5 to 2 wheetbix with 2% milk as breakfast.

9:30 to 10:00 AM a fruit.

11:00 fruit or big carrot.

12:30 a apple.

14:30 fruit.

16:00 training ride for about 60minutes. Recovery drink after ride. Will go to mornings in summer.

18:30 small dinner with some meat and steamed veggies. Very little carbs but

generally nothing.

No sugar during the day but do drink about 3 cup coffee.

On weekend it's a bit les regulated but some beer is on the list too but busy reducing the to almost nothing.

Currently loosing about 1Kg per week.

I started eating better.

Weekday schedule.

1.5 to 2 wheetbix with 2% milk as breakfast.

9:30 to 10:00 AM a fruit.

11:00 fruit or big carrot.

12:30 a apple.

14:30 fruit.

16:00 training ride for about 60minutes. Recovery drink after ride. Will go to mornings in summer.

18:30 small dinner with some meat and steamed veggies. Very little carbs but

generally nothing.

No sugar during the day but do drink about 3 cup coffee.

On weekend it's a bit les regulated but some beer is on the list too but busy reducing the to almost nothing.

Currently loosing about 1Kg per week.

There is no way that you getting enough protein from that.

You need protein to feed your muscles.

You definitely need more protein in that diet. A can of tuna at lunch won't hurt you, or even a whey protein shake. They're about 400kj per serving and can easily give 20-25g of protein.

Also, veggies and fruits are pure carbs. Just different style of carb.

Protein are lower in kj than carbs and fats, but takes more energy to burn off.

SOme more tips:

Eat spicy and hot food - They raise your core's temperature and you burn kj's trying to cool down again.

Read labels: We have two low fat yogurts in the fridge right now. One has 420kj per 100g and the other 240kj per 100g

Golden rule - You are what you eat!!

Read the labels

Drink water

Eat 5 small meals per day

Check your fat and dairy intake.

Good luck

I started cycling to lose wait and lost 13kg last year, acutely lost 3kg the first month and I only commute. This year I've lost nothing and have learn't the following:

~ You never know when you are going to plateau.

~ Muscle weighs more - the scale still screams one at a time but my wife and friends comment on how much better I look.

~ Live your life like a Gremlin and set your timezone to Tawain, so do not eat after sunset.

~ You need motivation when your not losing it, so get a buddy or a HRM. Without motivation your going to give up.

~ Always remember somewhere in this world is someone fatter than you :)

You definitely need more protein in that diet. A can of tuna at lunch won't hurt you, or even a whey protein shake. They're about 400kj per serving and can easily give 20-25g of protein.

Also, veggies and fruits are pure carbs. Just different style of carb.

Protein are lower in kj than carbs and fats, but takes more energy to burn off.

SOme more tips:

Eat spicy and hot food - They raise your core's temperature and you burn kj's trying to cool down again.

Read labels: We have two low fat yogurts in the fridge right now. One has 420kj per 100g and the other 240kj per 100g

I do drench my dinner in chillie sauce.

About twice a week I also eat a youghurt with breakfast. (Woolies Belgium)

With carbs I meant nothing at dinner.

Will do the tinned thing and see how my weight goes.