Excuse the ignorance (it must be all the swiss cheese) but Whats a chain drop

Something great comming soon.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something great comming soon.

Dunno..the term Chain drop does not conjur up good thoughts.

So what is it??? Some sort of fang thing to stop the chain dropping off the chain ring and damaging the frame?

Its only on the 240 Hub as far as I know....

the other hubs use pawls.....

Doug from DT Swiss also gets his own tool made from a shop.... he sells these to the mechanics that buy from him.

Dont know where JB got his from but I assume, that if it was directly from the distributer then he would have gotten the more durable one.

JB Im only assuming so please don't rip my head off if im wrong.....

Come here, let me rip your head off. You are wrong!

My original tool was the one made by DT Swiss. The second and third ones too, hence the DIY route. The original one has several flaws as I pointed out.

I had this one made up by a machine shop to my own design.

I hope this clarifies the history of this tool. Now put your head back on and stop bleeding.

wow! nice. Does the process use some sort of a follower that patterns off the ring? or did they CAD it up first?

Brussel, I don't know. I'll ask. However, judging by the cost of the tool, I think I bought a large follower.

I just chucked this job in with a batch of other things this machine shop does for me, such as the manufacture of some Marzocchi bits and pieces, and I got this sterling job back.

Next time I go I'll enquire as to how the spline cut was guided.

I lay claim to only two innovations on the tool - its solid body and the bearing guide that keeps it sturdy, the rest is clever can-do machining.

Here are some pics of my R20 tool!

Very neat.

But how do you turn it when you get those really difficult wheels? I find it precarious when the tool is not secured in the ring.

It's a rhetoric question really...it all depends how tight the ring is. Nice solution.

techguy why so aggro?

How do you read aggro in to tech guys post, he is right, some peeps have "been there and done that"

This one has done mucho work.

post-4100-095073700 1282222134_thumb.jpg

i sell a Loctite product called "Loctite 8040 freeze and release". its a light release lubricant, that is ice cold. you spray it on the inner metal section, which contracts, and makes releasing a bit easier. Perhaps it would help Johans tool with seriously tight threads in there?

what industry you in???

That socket tool you use on a pneumatic impact wrench, pops the insert out like dream without stressing spokes and hub. Without impact you will be putting massive stress on those parts.

That socket tool you use on a pneumatic impact wrench, pops the insert out like dream without stressing spokes and hub. Without impact you will be putting massive stress on those parts.

I don't understand. Whatever you turn it with has to transfer the torque into the hub and somehow you have to hold the hub - usually by the rim via the spokes. The only way not to involve the spokes is to somehow hold the hub.

Anyway, don't stress too much about stressing the spokes. They take more strain from you pedalling in low gear than they take from unscrewing an old-fashioned freewheel or DT Whassisname.

The stress is evenly distributed amongst the spokes, with every second one gaining tension and the others all losing tension.

In the old days we had to unscrew freehubs from wheels. These had a very fine thread and involved steel on aluminium, a lethal combination for release. I never saw a wheel destroyed by a tight freewheel and some of these things were very tight.

I tried to use a DT swiss tool once before wherby you clamp the tool in the vice, seat the wheel and hub on the tool spline and turn the wheel as if it were a giant steering wheel. I eventually felt I had to stop because it feel as though the wheel was about to collapse! Maybe it wouldnt have but but is was bending all over the place and it sure felt like it was about to fold!

• 5 years later...

Reviving a very old thread... here is my homemade DT Swiss lockring removal tool.  Ready to be mounted in a bench vice...

post-4529-0-18327700-1461325316_thumb.jpg