Squirt OR White Lightning Lube for MTB ????

limosine

I've found white lightning is by far the most effective lubrication after a heavy crack binge.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/10/7/1254921575298/A-can-of-White-Lightning--009.jpg

Add a fat vodka top and you will feel the landing gear just pop right out beneath you.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White lightning is definitely better.

Why?

the lubricant goes deep into the very small spaces of the chain, therefore the whole chain is lubricated.

With Squirt it only lubricates the external surface of the chain causing internal friction (metal against metal).

I found the squirt creates wax balls that fall off on your white carpet while on the indoor trainer and makes the wife shout.... so white lightning for me, its a cleaner story.

dom...... baie dom....... OP 'N WIT MAT!!!!!!!!! ek hoop sy skree nie net nie maar klap jou se ore ook warrem!!!!!!!!!

I tried both. In normal conditions I prefer White Lightning because it is cleaner but it looks like Squirt performs better in wet conditions.

I must ad that I am no expert.

Hoekom vra jy? Oorweeg jy dit dalk om 'n MTB aan te skaf? :P

Laas jaar op die Magoebaskloof MTB Challenge het ek 'n tandem MTB gesien. Laat jou nogal dink.......

Squirt for dry and Chain-L for wet. Squirt is cleaner and less mess. Chain-L lasts longer but if i apply as per instructions, it blackens my chain but it lasts much longer.

I tried white lightning (green or blue bottle) and eventually switched to squirt.

Seems to last longer, especially when things get wet

Yep, I used Squirt for quite a while, and have been trying White Lightning. It's too thin and wears off really quickly, so I'm going to switch back.

In wet conditions, nothing beats Finish Line Cross Country wet lube. Awesome stuff.

Don't waste your money on overpriced commercial junk... I've used bot of the abovementioned products and to me they are rubbish. I don't want to apply lube every 60km (offroad) I want to apply lube every 2nd ride... or every 100+ km...

If you want a wax based lube, get Castrol Chain Wax for motorcycles... R65 at Midas for a 400ml aerosol... I do over 80km per application.

If you need a wet lube, get Castrol Lubricut 150 - it's a thick chainsaw lube, which if applied correctly, won't blacken your drivetrain, and lasts many km's.

Dirty drivetrain = too much lube applied...

The Lubricut 150 you have to buy per 5L as far as I'm aware.. but it will last you YEARS!

Excellent idea! will check it out ;) ;)

Neither hey

Wax build up, clogs up the chain inside. causing the chain not to work in the way that it should.

There is a reason why lubes like Rock n Roll and Purple extreme were developed..

• 1 month later...

Squirt for dry and Chain-L for wet. Squirt is cleaner and less mess. Chain-L lasts longer but if i apply as per instructions, it blackens my chain but it lasts much longer.

Hi CJVDM. Give this a try. After lubing the chain wipe it as clean as you can (I pressume you already do this). Go out for your ride. Before you go out for the next ride, give the chain another dry wipe to clean away all the excess lube. Dont be scared that you are cleaning all the lube as you can not wipe it enough. More than enough lube stays inside where it is required.

I have done more than 300 km on a single application in dusty sandy condition during the Lighthouse to Lighthouse with 30 of those km being on the beach! 200km was during the race and 100km thereafter on training rides.