Squirt OR White Lightning Lube for MTB ????

limosine

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron - how often do you do this // alternatively, do you experience that the chain remains "lubed" for longer? Or is this still done every ride / few times a week?

Rodti , I have two bikes so this gets done everytime .bike gets preped on the monday after the weekend and then its ready for the next rided. and yes i find the lube last longer on the chain 70km mtb ride without stopping for a lube. for me its not so much what kind of lube is used but how well the chain is lube.

I've followed this debate for over a year and the conclusions I see are that up country in Transavaal, Squirt rules supreme. Down in the Coastal Cape, White Lightning gets more thumbs up.

I use Wit Blitz on my chain and happy with it but personally I've gone back to Finish Line Wet Lube as it suites my riding style.

Don't waste your money on overpriced commercial junk... I've used bot of the abovementioned products and to me they are rubbish. I don't want to apply lube every 60km (offroad) I want to apply lube every 2nd ride... or every 100+ km...

If you want a wax based lube, get Castrol Chain Wax for motorcycles... R65 at Midas for a 400ml aerosol... I do over 80km per application.

If you need a wet lube, get Castrol Lubricut 150 - it's a thick chainsaw lube, which if applied correctly, won't blacken your drivetrain, and lasts many km's.

Dirty drivetrain = too much lube applied...

The Lubricut 150 you have to buy per 5L as far as I'm aware.. but it will last you YEARS!

Don't waste your money on overpriced commercial junk... I've used bot of the abovementioned products and to me they are rubbish. I don't want to apply lube every 60km (offroad) I want to apply lube every 2nd ride... or every 100+ km...

If you want a wax based lube, get Castrol Chain Wax for motorcycles... R65 at Midas for a 400ml aerosol... I do over 80km per application.

If you need a wet lube, get Castrol Lubricut 150 - it's a thick chainsaw lube, which if applied correctly, won't blacken your drivetrain, and lasts many km's.

Dirty drivetrain = too much lube applied...

The Lubricut 150 you have to buy per 5L as far as I'm aware.. but it will last you YEARS!

There you have it!!! The expert has spoken...

I agree 100% BUT It is not COOL to use some common old oil??? What will the "others" say??? B)

Been using White Lightning Epic for year and a half and only recently started using Squirt. Seems Squirt just lasts that bit longer, rode 6hours at Magalies with it last weekend, and no issues!

I used to switch between Finish Line wet lube (in wet conditions) and White Lightning in dry ... then a few years back, it seemed the White Lightning formula was altered (I just perceived it to be thinner) and it would wash off more quickly than it used to (with the inevitable river crossing). So I tried Squirt (after seeing it advertised in a Trans Alp photo). I've found it definitely lasts longer ... don't need to re-lube on long MTB rides, unless there are multiple river crossings (but still less frequently than was the case with WL). The chain remains cleaner ... got over 20 000km on my last roadbike chain (and the matched cassette is still good for a second chain).

This is a question that will never be answered, make your choice and use anypone of the two as long as you use Squirt!!!!!

I found the squirt creates wax balls that fall off on your white carpet while on the indoor trainer and makes the wife shout.... so white lightning for me, its a cleaner story.

I prefer a wet lube (like finish line green??)

Wax lubes just don't seem t last as long. If you don't put on to much wet lube, your chain stays quite clean.

I lube mine, then let it soak in, and wipe off excess with a rag. This seems to work for me.

I once got 1952.4k's on one application........ ;)

I prefer a wet lube (like finish line green??)Wax lubes just don't seem t last as long. If you don't put on to much wet lube, your chain stays quite clean.I lube mine, then let it soak in, and wipe off excess with a rag. This seems to work for me.I once got 1952.4k's on one application........ ;)

Hope for ur chains sake it was Road and not MTB!