Using 32GI with GU?

Chain-L

MDW, what about using something like Two Minute Noodles with a spoonful of Mincemeat (cooked, off course) as a pre-race / training meal?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MDW, what about using something like Two Minute Noodles with a spoonful of Mincemeat (cooked, off course) as a pre-race / training meal?

you seriously eat that pre-race???, ok wait to be honest I have to be honest here, the meat is out for me, I cant manage that, yes the meat is low GI it brings down the glycemic load of the meal, but from a digestibility point of view it would just sit in my stomach. If you successfully train and race on that, and you feel great well then it works for you, but I would experiment with more complex carbs and easily digestible proteins, you might find something better.

As for minute noodles, mmm, I cannot by heart give you the GI will need to look into it, chances are its the upper end as its pre-cooked and most likely corn starched to the hilt.

Will get back to you, all the best

M

Mark, I am sipping on my first bottle of 32GI.

Bought it at Ronelle's earlier, peach flavor, tastes great.

Going racing at killarney just now (super hard, short session) so I will feedback tomorrow how I feel.

You have said that guys in short sessions have felt a benefit, so I am going to give it a bash for myself.

I will put it to the endurance test this weekend on a nice long training ride.

The week after that will be my first league race, so that will be an inter

In one of my earlier posts to you I mentioned that I was going to shift my diet to low gi and I have been really good for the past 3 weeks. So hopefully my lifestyle will be ready to use this fuel now.

I will send feedback tomorrow! B)

They are Intermediate to High GI - value of 70 (1/4 packet is equal to 1 carb unit)

Michelle

Mark, I am sipping on my first bottle of 32GI.

Bought it at Ronelle's earlier, peach flavor, tastes great.

Going racing at killarney just now (super hard, short session) so I will feedback tomorrow how I feel.

You have said that guys in short sessions have felt a benefit, so I am going to give it a bash for myself.

I will put it to the endurance test this weekend on a nice long training ride.

The week after that will be my first league race, so that will be an inter

In one of my earlier posts to you I mentioned that I was going to shift my diet to low gi and I have been really good for the past 3 weeks. So hopefully my lifestyle will be ready to use this fuel now.

I will send feedback tomorrow! B)

Couldnt wait till tomorrow to spill the beans.

What a super product.

Right now I feel on top of the world and great.

Every other energy drink that I have every used has left my stomach feeling like it is almost upset by the end of the event.

Not really upset but my intestines or whatever would complain for the rest of the day.

Right now I am parking in bed feeling super duper, I have had an super hard racing session of about 40 min with the elites around the race track and I feel no different to what I did before the session.

I started drinking the mixture at about 3 today, tasted so great that I finished one 750ml (two scoops) bottle before the event. Mixed up another half a bottle for the race which I finished by the time I got home.

Got home, wasnt hungry like I normally am, but I still enjoyed my supper.

Last week I raced on water (at race track as well) and I must say that I felt a bit stronger today with the 32GI. Maybe mental? I dont know? But it is very hard to lie to your body under that kind of stress.

Maybe me drinking it from a bit earlier topped up my stores which gave me a bit of extra fuel when I needed it.

I have to admit though that I did also take some caffeine at 3 today (event was at 6, so enough time to help a little) but I cant give caffeine all that credit. (if it was that good it would be illegal) :P I could feel that I was a bit mentally sharper though (well that was after the headache that it first gave me).

By the way I have been on a very low caffeine diet lately because I have been dying to try out the "caffeine effect"

So Mark, I am sold. You can post me a bottle every month now. :D

I cant wait to try this on the weekend now for a endurance ride.

Should I hit the road with 2 bottles of the stuff? Or should I go for 1 and 1 water?

I dont want to take in any other form of snacks etc.

I am planning on spending about 4 hours on the road at maybe 80-85% or so.

What do you think?

You can also check out this website : gifoundation

Hope this helps.

Michelle

Thank you so much for this link Michelle!

I have been wondering about something and have been meaning to ask Mark about it.

From the Gifoundation website:

"There is no such thing as a good or bad carbohydrate food. All carbohydrate foods can fit into a healthy diet”) – it all depends on when you eat it, how much you eat and with what you combine it. For example, although low GI food is usually the preferred choice, a high GI sports drink is perfect during and after running a marathon, as a low GI drink during or after intense exercise could, in fact, can result in hypoglycemia and insufficient replenishment of carbohydrate in the muscle and liver."

I wanted to know from Mark, that surely you can't overindulge in a low GI sports drink. Surely you need to determine your energy needs during a race/training and then fuel your body accordingly, either by moderate amounts of low GI energy sources in longer time frames or smaller amounts of high GI fuels in shorter time frames?

This would fit in with what is said in the above website as well as what IanJ has said in this thread.

I also would like to ask Mark if their product was independently tested according to the internationally accepted procedures and maybe have an GIFSA endorsement ?

Thank you so much for this link Michelle!

I have been wondering about something and have been meaning to ask Mark about it.

From the Gifoundation website:

"There is no such thing as a good or bad carbohydrate food. All carbohydrate foods can fit into a healthy diet”) – it all depends on when you eat it, how much you eat and with what you combine it. For example, although low GI food is usually the preferred choice, a high GI sports drink is perfect during and after running a marathon, as a low GI drink during or after intense exercise could, in fact, can result in hypoglycemia and insufficient replenishment of carbohydrate in the muscle and liver."

I wanted to know from Mark, that surely you can't overindulge in a low GI sports drink. Surely you need to determine your energy needs during a race/training and then fuel your body accordingly, either by moderate amounts of low GI energy sources in longer time frames or smaller amounts of high GI fuels in shorter time frames?

This would fit in with what is said in the above website as well as what IanJ has said in this thread.

I also would like to ask Mark if their product was independently tested according to the internationally accepted procedures and maybe have an GIFSA endorsement ?

Hi all, lots of interesting debate around the topic of low GI high GI etc. There is a wealth of information across the globe and a lot of research for and against either in certain areas under certain conditions.

My personal take is, there are such things as bad carbohydrates, I dont agree with GI saying that. I deal a lot with nutrition, especially in children and if you look at the globe in general, obesity is still on the climb, ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is growing rapidly, and we cannot but stand back and say this is genetic, the fact is that, todays foods contain a whopping load of nonsense and it directly impacts us and more importantly our children. On a health perspective, the refined carbohydrates dont provide any benefit at all, where the immune system is involved and this is something I have a lot of experience with but thats a totally different debate altogether.

So lets go back to the question of sport: Lets forget about 32Gi for now. Never over the past few decades has a low GI product been suitable for fueling an athlete. Lets face it, looking at the low GI foods, what is the common factor.

- The food digests way to slowly for the body to actually reap the benefits of the nutrients being released during exercise. It just sits in your stomach and if anything its really just a matter of discomfort. Imagine training on a real low GI food lets say a piece of meat, not chance. So the school of thought, across medical and sports nutrition circles has been, easily digesting, fast releasing for quick take up by the muscles.

Now lets face it, over the years nothing low GI has been able to sustain or provide an athlete, fructose just tapers off and leaves you with no energy, bananas are not low GI more intermediate and when ripened actually cross into the high GI barrier and fuel you, but its not the kind that really provides us with efficient fuel, its goes through a conversion process from digestion to fuel provision.

So when the world was flat and some people out there were trying to convince the world its actually round, well people looked at them and said you are totally mad, its not possible, and the same has happened over the past few years with low GI fueling in the sports community. Why is it that 32Gi is different, and why is it that its suitable for endurance sport.

A few factors:

1. It releases immediately but over time, because it digests very slowly

So the first problem of release is solved and the second problem of sustainability is resolved.

2. Secondly, why do we need fuel, I mean we have our glycogen stores which are diminished during a sporting event. First muscle glycogen then liver glycogen. This is used up considerably and once gone, only sugar = basically a glucose injection will get you out of that.

So what does this low GI fuel do, it promotes fat oxidization which is then metabolized and used as a source of energy, so whats happening is you are getting a duel effect, the first slow glucose release into the muscles, the second fat burn for energy.

The fact of the matter is that when this happens, your glycogen is actually spared, meaning harder for longer and maybe even faster recovery depending on the length of time of the event.

The minute you introduce a flood of sugar into the system, you will mitigate the fat store tapping and then only will you be able to rely on the glucose feeding assuming your muscle glycogen is well gone.

Ok, so independant testing, and the answer is yes we have had, we dont need to go through GIFSA, our product has been properly tested and the GI is 32 which is where it gets its name, this was tested in Germany and in the United States where we have CE and FDA approval. To be honest we can spend thousands and thousands of $$$ to have the product tested, for a logo here or a logo there or an endorsement here and there, but in the end it really does not provide more value or credibility to the product.

Our product has been tested by the Freiburg Sports Medicine Institute in Germany, and tested under athletic conditions, providing good results. The fat oxidization factor has also been tested independently, by a number of organisations, but for reference Dr Daniel Konig at Freiburg University did some excellent testing compared to normal CHO drinks. The only testing we are still going to carry out as mentioned in one response is the measurement of glycogen sparing and where this is stored, and the glycemic response of our chews, which we have already selected 2 companies, one locally and one abroad as well as a high performance center, this will take time, but they and we are positive about the outcome of future testing.

As for local endorsements, dietitians, doctors, diabetics and really our athletes are our product endorsers. In South Africa alone we have over a 1000 users of 32Gi, and we have had close to 100% satisfaction from our users. We have had 4 ultra marathon records broken this year, 4 gold medals at Comrades, Ironman category winners locally and abroad, and just over the past 4 months we have had 8 marathon/ultra marathon wins, including a win in a 9 day stage race. The results and the feedback we have received from our users are the only endorsements we want, because what is an endorsed product if the person using it fails to benefit from it. All in all, we have had reports of no nausea, sustainable energy, healthier appetite, lowered body fat, longer mental focus, easier digestibility and many more and we have receive emails daily from our users telling us about their experiences or asking us for advice, either way we are here to help.

Agree with you 100%, a person needs to fuel his body to its needs and accordingly, but each product has its benefits and works in a specific way. One needs to understand his specific requirements play with his daily, training and racing nutrition and see what works best for him. I have been through this for 20 years and I know what works for me and my clients. You mentioned over fueling on low GI, I think the biggest problem in sport and this really out there, most people over fuel on high GI, and thats where the biggest problem lies. They over flood their systems with glucose they dont take it all up and they are left feeling terrible. We are not all professional athletes and in tune with everything, so when we perform at different intensities sometimes we tend to over do it on the intake. We should all be wary of how we fuel ourselves daily as thats more important than the actual race fuel, but then the 2 should compliment each other.

I eat for health and energy first, the rest follows.

I am not sure I answered all the questions here, but I am sure we all will have our own opinions, and its great chatting to you all about this, thanks for the input.

Any 32Gi users taking part in Nissan Down and Dirty MTB in Irene this Saturday, come and get some free fuel from us before the race.

Those wishing to chat to us or test it, feel free to come and get some as well, it does not go off so you can always take a bottle home after the event and try it out on your next training ride.

Any 32Gi users taking part in Nissan Down and Dirty MTB in Irene this Saturday, come and get some free fuel from us before the race.

Those wishing to chat to us or test it, feel free to come and get some as well, it does not go off so you can always take a bottle home after the event and try it out on your next training ride.

Hi All

I have received a lot of emails regarding the product and nutrition. I have attached a FAQ to this posting for all of you. I think the FAQ will answer most questions, but if not feel free to contact us.

The file is attached to this post,

all the best

Mark

32Gi FAQ Guide.doc

Collen Makaza won the Galway World 50km Trophy Final in Ireland in a time of 2H47:16. We congratulate Collen on his achievement - Fuelled by 32Gi™

So far I'm quite impressed with the results, and even more impressed with the trouble given to reply to all the questions.

Mixing it with GU obviously not a good idea at the start of a race, however, what about mixing it in a bottle of Power/Energade ? Will this also be counter productive? Many thanks for all the info once again.

So far I'm quite impressed with the results, and even more impressed with the trouble given to reply to all the questions.

Mixing it with GU obviously not a good idea at the start of a race, however, what about mixing it in a bottle of Power/Energade ? Will this also be counter productive? Many thanks for all the info once again.

Hi Abercrombie, yes you can mix but once you put in readily available glucose you will still get a slight taper, but you will immediately stop to tap your fat stores and rely on readily available glucose for energy. The 2 hour guarantee goes down, and you will be thrown into the more of a frequent feeding cycle.

Best is to train with 32Gi, see how long and far you can go at low and high intensities before taking on the sugar. I easily do 4-5 hour interval rides on 32Gi alone, no sugar no food, and those intervals are to be honest "bloody hard" especially because of level of riders I train with.

all the best

Mark