Using 32GI with GU?

Chain-L

Hi

Tried 32Gi on the Nissan Down and Dirty but from what I have read here I may have scored a bit of an own goal.

Had a bowl of Muesli for breakfast with 'Milk' (prob1).

Then went on to the race there I had one bottle 500ml of 32Gi and one with water, also had (and this I think is the mistake) two Muscle Science Staminade Endure Sports Fuel Bar, cut into blocks and one block consumed every 20min through the race.(prob2)

I did not hit the wall, crash, bonk or suffer any other form of burn out but I was also not chomping at the bit at the end there.

Look forward to read more.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right place to ask a similar question, I presume...

How about having some coffee with sugar before a ride with 32GI? Or is that sugar negligible?

Right place to ask a similar question, I presume...

How about having some coffee with sugar before a ride with 32GI? Or is that sugar negligible?

Seabee, sorry to say but coffee with sugar is not good, it gives you a little kick,a quick fix an adrenalin rush. You so spike contrary to what people think, the caffeine so near to an event is not good either. Advice: tank it for a herbal tea ;-).

Heck no, not "an event" - won't even think about coffee before a race/funride! Just talking about waking up on a Sat morning and having a coffee before heading out on a training ride!

And I do take a coffee in the morning, rest of the day rooibos, btw... :)

Hi

Here is a question.

Muesli with dried fruit in would this still be low GI or does the dried fruit change the status to a high GI?

Also what should you use to replace sugar?

Will it be ok to replace with say something like NutraSweet or something in that line or is that just as bad?

Snacking on dried fruit and nut mix during the race - bad idea or not?

Would love to hear some opinions.

hi there before I respond can you let me know which muesli and what dried fruit and nuts so i can give you a thorough answer all the best Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply.

Meusli - Jungle Energy Chrunch, I then add in an extra packet of SAD mixed dried fruit.(Will have a look at what it is called when next at the shop).

Thanks

Hi

Here is a question.

Muesli with dried fruit in would this still be low GI or does the dried fruit change the status to a high GI?

Also what should you use to replace sugar?

Will it be ok to replace with say something like NutraSweet or something in that line or is that just as bad?

Snacking on dried fruit and nut mix during the race - bad idea or not?

Would love to hear some opinions.

Hi Allobar

OK first off down to basic, anything and everything you take in should be in line with the following:

1. Easily digestible

2. No sugar spiking

3. No quick fixes ie: caffeine

If you are looking to replace sugar, would look at fructose or xylotol, however some people are susceptible to stomach irritation from too much xylitol so rather try it during the week to see how you go, I use raw honey or diabetic jam in my cereal as a sweetner. The chemical sweetners or modified sweetness such as nutra sweet, splenda, canderel etc, from a weight point of view no issues from a poison point of view, i have my issues there, its not natural and I cant see it being very good long term.

Fruits:

Some are ok som are not ok, lets look at them in two parts.

First from a sugar point of view, an apple, apricot, pear etc is low GI, so no spiking, some fruits such as a banana, berries etc are medium to higher GI, but then melons, grapes ie: raisins are high GI.

So if I were to eat a pre-training meal I would usually stick to low to medium nothing more. However there are ways of loading food in other words mixing the right combination to bring down the glycemic load of the meal as an example eating a banana on its own could possible spike you a little if it is very ripe, but slice it in a bowl of oats and it wont spike you as the combo will bring down the glycemic load of the meal. So sliced banana on a piece of low GI bread as an example is some way people get away with that.

OK, so mueslie, mmmm I hate to break it to you, but firstly its quite processed meaning the base grain is actually fairly packed with sugar, and then the main fruit is dried grapes(raisins), meaning more sugar. The other issue I have with the dried fruit part is that they often glaze it in sugar, ensure the fruit is totally natural when dried.

Now here is the other issues, lets say you eat 4-5 fruit a day, raw wholesome fruit, now you go and buy a packet of dried fruit, you can actually land up eating 3-4 times the amount of fruit in a day, as 5 dried apricots is a lot of fruit, and yes it might not fill you up like a single raw apricot, but it packs a hell of a lot of sugar. I always recommend to my clients if you have a glass of fruit juice even, rather 1/3 fruit juice and 2/3 water, as dont be fooled the juice is healthy, but a single glass of orange juice is like eating 4-5 oranges.

So with all this in mind, stick to easily digestible, no sugar additives etc, and you will see that you will reap the benefits of these kinds of meals long term.

all the best

Mark

So now eating dried fruit, before or during a training event. The answer is, you are taking in a lot of sugar, its not easy on the digestive system, and its not your best fuel for exercise at all.

Nuts are also not easily digestible, as a snack some almonds are great they packs some excellent nutrients, but I limit people to 5-10 almonds a day depending what they eat it with and at what times.

Hi Mark

Thanks,lots of useful info and food for though and training of course.

Will give that a try at the next race and send in a report.

One last 2 stupid questions - do you cook the oats or eat it out the box as is with a banana sliced in?

And I am presuming the normal box of Jungle Oats is good enough or is there another brand that works better?

Later

Hi Mark

Thanks,lots of useful info and food for though and training of course.

Will give that a try at the next race and send in a report.

One last 2 stupid questions - do you cook the oats or eat it out the box as is with a banana sliced in?

And I am presuming the normal box of Jungle Oats is good enough or is there another brand that works better?

Later

Hi there, great question, ok Oats I can honestly say I am an expert on, there are so many varieties, but firstly I never eat oats uncoooked, it digests far better when cooked, ok so lets look at the 3 main types:

1. Instant Oats (Jungle or Bokomo)

2. Cooking Oats (Jungle/Bokomo)

3 Raw / Rolled Oats (Natures Choice, Organix, and some others)

1. Instant Oats

Ok unfortunately there are processes, which of course makes it easy to make just add boiling water and walla. Problem is it has a higher content of sugar and just is not really that healthy, but if you are in a serious rush then maybe an ok choice, Bokomo is lower in sugar, in the box, however i noticed the sachets are lower in sugar for Jungle than Bokomo, go figure, seen label changes happen a few times lol

2. Cooking Oats

Far better than instant oats, but yes hot water, and cook for 10 minutes on a stove, and yes a far better choice than the instant oats, more bland but you can add to sweeten

3. Rolled Oats

The best choice, totally natural, go organic, cook for 10 minutes or so on the stove and you can really taste the difference, no sugar at all, and really great source of energy.

Now this is what I eat for breakfast everyday, if I train really early I use it as a recovery meal with some protein.

Marks Oats Recipe of Choice

- Rolled Organic Oats - Cooked

- Half Sliced Banana

- Chopped Strawberry

- Half a hand of Blueberries

- Half hand of Gojiberries

- Sprinkle of Miracle Seeds (Flax, Pumpkin, Sunflower)

- Dash of raw slithered Almonds

- 1 TableSpoon of Low Fat Yoghurt

- Dash of raw organic honey

I eat this every single day, I vary sometimes, by slicing a half an apple into it, in otherwords just changing the fruit slightly, so might leave out the gojis and go with half an apple or rotate with the others. Sound like a lot, not a chance, really 2 minutes to prepare once the oats is cooked, I dont stand in front of the stove, i put boiling water in a pot with the oats leave it on a low temp and then get ready and comeback 20 minutes later to ready oats.

To fulling, not a chance, this is the best fuel for the day, it sets the tone, and is a great immune booster.

Pre-Race Oats

- Raw cooked

- Half Banana

- Vanilla Soya Isolate

- Rice Milk

I prefer oats bread or low GI seed loaf with Jam for pre-race and training.

As for vitamins dont take them before a training session take them with a meal after exercise.

hope this helps

all the best

Mark

A big congratulations to the following 32Gi athletes

- Travis Johnston - 6th World Triathlon Championships in Budapest, time 1H49

- Kerry Koen: Won the ladies race at Mont aux Sources 50km trail run in a time of 5H27, which is a NEW RECORD, and finished in 7th position overall

- Bongmusa Mthembu: Duke of York 16km Road Race - 2nd

- Sandile Makhaye: Duke of York 16km Road Race - 4th

- Petros Sosibo: Duke of York 16km Road Race - 5th

- Munyaradza Jari: Dolphin Coast 21.1km, 1st, time 69 mins

- Sipho Ngxongo: Dolphin Coast 10km, 1st, time 32 mins

Fuelled by 32Gi

For the Silverstar MTB race this weekend I only had 3x Weetbix bricks with honey and low-fat milk and 350ml 32GI for breakfast. Felt good the whole way and felt even better later in the race. Okay the race was only 1h55m for me and that is why I did not take any energy drink with me on the route. I believe you've got enough in you to power you for 2 hours. the scary part is that I only drank 120ml water during the whole race. I know this is wrong but I never feel thirsty with 32GI.

Mampara thanks for info, how long before the race did u have your breakfast. 32Gi can carry you far, I mentioned to someone yesterday in actual fact that 25grams is the minimum amount required to promote fat store tapping, which can sustain you for a long time. As for the not drinking, dont stress, if you were dehydrated u would have suffered, but better to finish slightly dehydrated than over hydrated. I have had similar experiences did a 28km run, on a piece of oat breat, diabetic jam and 1/2 serving of 32Gi, took no water bottle at all for the run and was fine throughout. Its funny you mention that, as I was chatting to an elite athlete ultra distance runner guy who does 160km runs, and is a running coach, he mentioned to me that when he was training overseas their coaches used to make them run for hours and hours on only half a bottle of water, in order to train the body to become more efficient. It sounds harsh, but if you look at these ethiopian and kenyan runners they go forever on dry land, makes us wonder if we are a little overly worried, I guess the body can handle a lot, and we just need to identify what their limits are. later m

MDW just ruined my day. I only ride 12 hours a week so that I can eat all the chocolate I want without getting fat.

90% of people out there use exercise as an excuse to over indulge ;-), afraid to put more of a damper on your day, BUT its does not work that way, it will negatively impact you. Choose 1 day a week to treat yourself to a little slab of chocolate....... :rolleyes: