Using 32GI with GU?

Chain-L

Cycling Golden Rule Nr 15:

"Use the same during racing what works best during your training rides - pre, during and post-nutrition..."

Like you said, stick to what works when you train, Aapskommel.

B)

Your experience sounds hectic, man. :blink:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MDW thanx that was informative. Im using 32GI for the first time in a race this coming weekend. My normal pre race meal is 40g of oats with 15g wey protein and then sipping a mixed simple/complex carb drink in my way to the race. I try and eat the meal at leats 2hrs before the race.

This wknd i am/was planning to stick to the pre race regime and use 1 bottle of 32gi (1serving) during the race with my whasp gels. I now see that this might not be good idea. Race would take me about 2.5hrs.

Should i change the regime to the following: the same oats and whey; sipping on 1/2 serving 32gi to the race (or would 1 serving 1.5hrs before race be sufficient as pre race meal and then leave oats and whey totally); using 1 bottle(1 serving) 32gi during race with my whasp gels only 3/4 into the race. Scared not using it as i dont want to hit wall with 10km to go. Your input will be much apreciated :unsure:

Hi Jaco

Breakfast is pefect no issues at all, you can sip on 32Gi as your drink to the race, its good to get some into the system so it starts to work immediately. Then for a 2.5 hour race 1 bottle of 32Gi is fine, because it will give you a minimum of 2 hours even more, and then you can use your gel for the kick to the finish, 40 minutes or so before the finish. For a race of this distance, you wont hit the wall, because even on water with that pre-race meal you will be fine, give it horns Jaco you can easily do it with that nutrition. I think you are spot on for the race, let me know how it goes.

all the best

Mark

Does anyone have a list of stockists for 32GI ?

Go to the stockists list on www.32gi.com there is a long list there you can see which is nearest

all the best

Mark

Luke what do you have as a pre race meal? Do you drink a bottle of 32gi beforehand as well?

Jaco, you should always have a pre-race meal, give yourself the fuel your body needs for the race, the slower the release the more sustaining and the better you will perform. Your pre-race was excellent, I usually eat the same, but for triathlons, I switch as oats sits slightly heavier and I dont like the feel of it during the swim, so I then go to a low GI bread toast it with diabetic apricot jam and I love it. Sometimes I mix peanut butter with it.

Later

M

Something I wanted to mention which I did no mention earlier I forgot to mention in my long response, and this has been scientifically proven.

With a high GI energy drink, your body WILL not oxidize the fat stores like with 32Gi, we have had this tested and there is a large difference between the two. When you put a high GI substance into your body it is free and ready to use the muscles will take up that glucose immediately, its short lived but it wont tap the fat. With 32Gi you will oxidize a lot more fat and utilize it as a source of energy, of course this is much longer lasting source of energy.

Just a tip, dont go on a training ride of 2-2.5 hours with your high sugar drink if intensity is not very high,because and this is a fact: You will eat a hearty meal afterwards, you wont take up all the glucose and you will actually land up putting on more than losing. Rather take a low GI drink, or meal with water for those training rides. This is where 32Gi is very useful in that it allows you to still train for really long periods of time, burning fat and preventing the weight gain. Due to energy level stabilization you will feel less hungry after a session than with only water or a high GI drink, so you will have a appetite but not for an excessive meal and in some cases some of our users have not really felt like eating. But if you do feel like this, please eat, you should always take in a recovery meal.

32Gi is not a recovery drink.

For recovery, I would go with a really excellent whey isolate or soya isolate whey is much more quickly absorbed than soya, but if the whey quality is not good well then it can just cause flatulence and other less desirable consequences, there r really good whey products out there, otherwise go soya its easier on the digestive system. A little trick for you all, but keep it to yourselves, if you combine a complex carb such as oats with a nice shot of caffeine, say a strong cup of black coffee after a hard session, it can increase the rate at which glycogen replenishment takes place by between 50-60% worth it, you bet especially if you are doing some serious back to back sessions. Caffeine does have its use ;-)

later

Me

Cycling Golden Rule Nr 15:

"Use the same during racing what works best during your training rides - pre, during and post-nutrition..."

Like you said, stick to what works when you train, Aapskommel.

B)

Your experience sounds hectic, man. :blink:

G Man spot on , racing is like the final exam paper, you need to prep for it, thats not just training but you need to know your nutrition dont experiment on race day, stick with what you know, keep the learning experiences to training sessions, you worked hard to get here, dont try something new just because you think its going to shave off a little here or there.

Interesting what you say about Wheatbix Mark. I eat a ton of that stuff, and lately only the Branbix one which has over 20grams of fibre per 100.. I thought that had to be a low GI food? How do I detect from the packaging that something is high GI if it does not specify? What is the high GI component of Wheatbix? Is the wheat high in starch or gluten or something? And does the fibre content only offset this to a certain degree, even in the Branbix version?

I have also been using 32GI for a few weeks now. It is working well for me - tried it racing at the Burger MTB for the first time (first mountain bike race for me as well) and then again on Sunday at the Drakenstein road race. I keep everything low GI until the last 40 minutes or so of the race and then hit the race bottle. So far so good.

From a book I've got : Eat Smart for Sport by Liesbet Delport and Paula Volschenk

Weetbix has a GI value of 70 (High GI)

Oats (Bokomo, P &P, Spar, Woolworths) has a GI value of 58 (intermediate GI) It can be lowered by eating it cooled.

Pronutro, Wholewheat, Original, Apple Bake, Bokomo has a GI value of 43 (low GI)

You can also check out this website : gifoundation

Hope this helps.

Michelle

Luke what do you have as a pre race meal? Do you drink a bottle of 32gi beforehand as well?

Same as you Jaco, Jungle Oats, usually with a bit of IGF-1 protein mixed in. Then I have a few sips of 32 GI on the way to the event.

From a book I've got : Eat Smart for Sport by Liesbet Delport and Paula Volschenk

Weetbix has a GI value of 70 (High GI)

Oats (Bokomo, P &P, Spar, Woolworths) has a GI value of 58 (intermediate GI) It can be lowered by eating it cooled.

Pronutro, Wholewheat, Original, Apple Bake, Bokomo has a GI value of 43 (low GI)

You can also check out this website : gifoundation

Hope this helps.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle. On closer inspection of my Branbix box, besides the bran the ingredients are mostly high GI: malt, white bread flour, honey etc. There's nothing on the packaging to tell you the glycemic index though. That would be helpful.

best is rolled raw oats it sits in the low Gi range but as Michelle mentioned there are always clever ways with food mixing to bring down the load adding protein which you do is one of them assuming its pure and no maltodextrin corn flour or starch thrown in there

Interesting thread.

I was one of the first to try 32GI when it came out earlier this year and have been using it ever since, I ride road and MTB in the licenced Vets (50-59) category. My experience is that it is perfect for long sustained rides at a moderate intensity but I find that when racing at high intensity it sometimes does not give me enough of a kick to respond to attacks and sudden increases in pace.

I also use Whasp Kiwi gel during a race, 1 serving after 1 hour and 1 with about 20km to go for the finish. I also started experimenting recently with a combination of 32GI before (including carboloading the previous day) and for the first half of a race and then switching to another product for the second half where the pace inevitably increases. This combination seems to work well for me.

There is no doubt that for long endurance events at a moderate intensity 32GI would be perfect I just find that at race intensity you need a bit more of a kick.

This hase been the host helpful and useful thread I have read for ages. The stuff is sound and what is being said I have not seen put so simply before. I have some backround as a Paramedic and also focus on low GI alot - this is very simple and true - once you spike with High GI - you need to keep doing it - so I never mix low GI and hi GI every - low GI all teh way.

Mark Hi. Thanks for all the info. My pre-race meal/training is and has always been a cup of coffee with 2 slices of wholewheat toast with peanut butter (not sugar free). I am not about to change this. Should I stop wasting my time with 32GI, and just go back to gels?

P.S: The 32gi has been working well for me (with this meal) but I have not done more than a 3.5 hour ride on it yet.

P.P.S : I am just a weekend warrior, and am not competitive or anything and just do this for fun and exercise - but I still wanna try and finish within the best time that my age and limited ability allow.

Agreed very good info. I have stayed away from mixing energy gels with 32GI, but seems that for the last bit of a race it may be worth it for a kick. The other thing I have to work on is my pre race meal!

Mark Hi. Thanks for all the info. My pre-race meal/training is and has always been a cup of coffee with 2 slices of wholewheat toast with peanut butter (not sugar free). I am not about to change this. Should I stop wasting my time with 32GI, and just go back to gels?

P.S: The 32gi has been working well for me (with this meal) but I have not done more than a 3.5 hour ride on it yet.

P.P.S : I am just a weekend warrior, and am not competitive or anything and just do this for fun and exercise - but I still wanna try and finish within the best time that my age and limited ability allow.

hi Harryn your pre race meal is fine i talk in extremes but i think the important factor is not flooding yourself with sugar prior to the event and your meal is not doing this as for 32Gi it will still work very well and if you are happy stick to it. And as for high intensity sessions it actually does perform and very very well in a race a lot of factors play a role including muscle preparation and hydration i have performed in a race where i placed and 32Gi saw me through the first 4 hours at max it was extremely tough conditions i was overseas and the hotel only had wholewheat bread And strawberry jam that was my pre race meal and then sipped on 32Gi beforehand one of the best and toughest race i have ever done :-) 32Gi was my fuel