Milnerton to Cape Town - best route?

ridesleeprepeat

Need some help regarding the best route into Cape Town from Milnerton/Tableview. Recently got hold of a road bike and keen to ride the penincular as part of my training.

I know a lot of guys ride Marine Drive - N1 - Lower Church, but not keen to ride the N1 (not always feesable either at the times I need to ride).

Can you duck through the harbour? Any other ideas? IRT bus lane?

Thanks.

I ride the N1 steach at 5:40 or so and its fine , not sure on later. The BRT lane should be finished soon and that will have a cycle path all the way into town through Parden Island. U can use the harbour for the time being but i have never used it. i belive there are some dodgy railway lines to watch out for

Use the N1, such a short stretch. Would use the harbour - tracks aren't nice, and cars/trucks worse on that road.

I'm also keen on riding from Parklands to the Waterfront 2 - 3 times a week but not keen on the N1 stretch

• 4 years later...

Seems that there is a bike route / lane all along the red bus roads into Cape town (Looks like you end up between Woodstock and the highway)

Checked google street view - seems legit, will try it later today - If i remember i will come back here and let you know!

Do not use the BRT/cycle lane... I was mugged and held at knife point on this road!!! Avoid this place at all costs!!

Need some help regarding the best route into Cape Town from Milnerton/Tableview. Recently got hold of a road bike and keen to ride the penincular as part of my training.

I know a lot of guys ride Marine Drive - N1 - Lower Church, but not keen to ride the N1 (not always feesable either at the times I need to ride).

Can you duck through the harbour? Any other ideas? IRT bus lane?

Thanks.

Read my story!!! https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/187-s-works-tarmac-sl3-2011/

I've ridden from Milnerton to town (and back) pretty much every single work day for the last 3 years. There is a cycle track the whole way to town, just follow the bus route. The only dodgy part is the tunnel going under the N1, by Paarden Eiland. There have been muggings (usually around 5pm) but I wouldn't discourage people from cycling that route. Just be observant and if something doesnt look right then turn around or wait for another cyclist for saftey in numbers. I find drafting the buses through the tunnel the safest :)

........ I find drafting the buses through the tunnel the safest :)

My" like" above applies to all but this bit ;-)

Crazy man! Sorry that happened to you!

I did the route this afternoon and i did not feel very safe - The route is perfect though, such a pity....there are times where you dont see a sole for 10 -15 minutes (reminded me of American style alleys.) 

Ok, so group ride it could work, really good route other than the safety aspect!

Keep safe out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear fellow cyclists,

I was attacked by two pedestrians on Monday 14 September, and robbed of all my belongings, except my bicycles and clothes. I just came from Paardeneiland and went uphill towards Woodstock Myciti station on the cycle lane..

Two pedestrians were walking behind each other on the cycle path towards me. As I past the first, he said something to the second. This one lashed out and hooked my right arm, causing my handle bar to twist and me to fall hard instantly. I tried to get up, but they ran to me and threatened me with some sort of plastic or iron rod. They tried to get my backpack off, but as I was wearing a helmet, this was not easy. They yanked and pulled hard, until my helmet came off. They ran off with bag and wallet into the field between Myciti route and N1.

Please share this story with more cyclists riding alone, as this clearly is not safe any longer.

Ard.

There is a group leaving from Bayside (Tableview) every morning into town, and back again in the evenings. Don't ride alone.