Sram Force or Ultegra

Guest coenie

I am hoping to face a similar dilemma later this year.

A mate of mine had Dura Ace 7800 and preferred that to his (OLD!) Campy. When he got a new bike, he changed to Force and has taken a while to settle down and still misses the Dura Ace. He says its a lot quieter and smoother.

It clearly comes down to personal choice.

The weight advantage of the Force does add to it's attractiveness...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultega. That crank is sexier than Uma Thurman.

Now Johan, that is the part that will drive me to go Sram. But I can't change as I have Shimano on the MTB and it will cost a fortune to change over both bikes.

Ultegra for me anytime, and I must agree with Johan B, have you ever seen a sexier crank than the new Ultegra/Dura? As soon as my budget can allow it, it is Di2 for me! Tried Sram on test bikes, just would't work for me! I guess it boils down to personal choice at the end, cause they are both great groups. Next question : blonds or brunettes? ;)

Ultega. That crank is sexier than Uma Thurman.

I think I'll disagree there. They're not ugly, but something just doesn't look right.

The Shimano cranks of late all rather remind me of an elephant's face.

If you look past the looks you will see that the Ultegra cranks use proprietary rings. So to replace them will cost not far off a new set. With Sram you can fit any other brand and it will still fit and not look like you've run out of money.

Moved from Shimano to SRAM and find the shifting instantaneous with SRAM. SRAM is louder on shifts, but I like it because you know you've shifted. The hoods on SRAM are like making love to your hands.

I think I'll disagree there. They're not ugly, but something just doesn't look right.

The Shimano cranks of late all rather remind me of an elephant's face.

You sound just like my wife. She also has nasty things to say about Uma.

SRAM hoods are the most comfy I have ridden. Could some please explain the devotion to campy. Hate the shifters, remind me of sora. And campy is stupidly expensive!!!!!!!

An you know how this feels how?

Cossie must have been spending some time with Mrs Palmer and her 5 daughters to like the hoods to that feeling... :P

SRAM hoods are the most comfy I have ridden. Could some please explain the devotion to campy. Hate the shifters, remind me of sora. And campy is stupidly expensive!!!!!!!

It's only expensive if you buy it through the local importers - online shops really make sense here.

I find the shifters (pre-11sp) are much more comfortable and look a whole lot less chunky than Shimano or SRAM.

The shifters are fully serviceable: a part breaks and you replace just that part. A Shimano one breaks and you replace the whole thing.

The hidden cable routing makes the front end look much neater.

For a long time they were the only groupsets with carbon cranks (for the looks). Shimano still doesn't have carbon cranks.

If you ride an Italian frame it's unstylish to put anything but an Italian groupset on it.

I can not decide between the Ultegra and Sram force groupset...any ideas?

I managed to get a set of Ultegra for R6500 brand new couldn't find Force anywhere close that and I'm not looking back comfortable in the hoods changing smooth and precise I thinks its alot to do with proper installation and I hear internal cabling can affect any groupset, I'm on a Raleigh RC LTD and it looks great