You don't own the road

Lipton

I almost hit a cyclist on Beyers past the Krugersdorp highway going towards Muldersdrift. There is a part of that road where recently road works have taken place, and the road is exceptionally narrow, yet they choose to ride 3, sometimes 4 abreast. Last weekend I was driving past them, and being a cyclist myself I gave plenty of room, yet one of them (female I think) swerved out and had I not been giving such a large berth, she would have hit me at such a pace that we both could have landed up dead.

I choose to not ride on the roads due to the traffic, but the attitude of road cyclists does the community no favours. Had she hit my car I would have been at fault? I think not.

Welcome to the hub.

mmmmmmmmmm Lady drivers/riders - another subject altogether :)

And yes I am new to the forum and was alerted to this thread by a friend.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the single STUPIDITY of all motorist that pisses me off to no end.

Roads are NOT for motorist only. The law states it is there for Road USERS.....please EDUCATE yourself before posting stupid comments!!!!!!

Not hard to understand yes.....food chain.....no armor....wait wait wait....GIVE WAY? WHAT? SAY WHAAAAT?????????????

Nope my uneducated Hubber....the law CLEARLY STATES the MOTORIST have to GIVE way....1.5m away to be precise.

The laws of survival dictates in this matter, giving one a sense of FEAR for motorists and thus fearing for your life you as a cyclist gives way......as for the law.....FAR FROM IT.

So in theory......for my....personally....I ride attacking on the road rather than defensive. Works thus far...... B)

And I am NOT giving way to motorist unless I see that there is a clear and present danger to my life in any certain cenario.

If no danger.....you....motorist......can take that 5 minutes you now have extra waiting to pass my sexy ass on my bike and go SCREW YOURSELF! :angry:

What do you class as `road-users`. We talking about national roads and main roads, not residential roads (neighborhood roads)

I dont rush/race around on the roads! I ALWAYS give way to cyclists where I CAN!

If they riding 2-3 a breast and dont fall back into single file by the time I am about 10metres away, then I will give a short `toot` and if they still dont fall back then I`m not going to give way because this will make me drive onto the wrong side of the road to pass them, endangering my life!

Cycling = inhaling CO2, dealing with i-rate Motorists????????? :blink:

MTB = inhaling fresh O2, and NOT dealing with anything! So relaxing right now! :P

I think what the Spinnekop oke is driving at, is that ALL the road users need to catch a wake up in general and be more considerate/tolerant.

No specific group is really at a larger or lesser fault than the collective. No matter what thumb suck perceptions are.

There was a stupid remark that was punted about roads being for motorists only and then categorising road users into a food chain.

That seems to sum up the general knuckle dragging tone of your average Saffer road user.

Be it man, woman, cyclist, runner, motorist, motorcyclist etc etc

That is the single STUPIDITY of all motorist that pisses me off to no end.

Roads are NOT for motorist only. The law states it is there for Road USERS.....please EDUCATE yourself before posting stupid comments!!!!!!

Not hard to understand yes.....food chain.....no armor....wait wait wait....GIVE WAY? WHAT? SAY WHAAAAT?????????????

Nope my uneducated Hubber....the law CLEARLY STATES the MOTORIST have to GIVE way....1.5m away to be precise.

The laws of survival dictates in this matter, giving one a sense of FEAR for motorists and thus fearing for your life you as a cyclist gives way......as for the law.....FAR FROM IT.

So in theory......for my....personally....I ride attacking on the road rather than defensive. Works thus far...... B)

And I am NOT giving way to motorist unless I see that there is a clear and present danger to my life in any certain cenario.

If no danger.....you....motorist......can take that 5 minutes you now have extra waiting to pass my sexy ass on my bike and go SCREW YOURSELF! :angry:

WTF?

Better educate yourself first, Spinnekop. The law does not state this at all. Check out the National Road

Traffic Act No 93 of 1996 (as amended).

What you are talking about is proposed legislation that is sitting in Parliament which may or may not get through the legislation. Similar to the banning of lane cutting by motorbikes that was proposed, but never made the 2003 amendment...

;)

Better educate yourself first, Spinnekop. The law does not state this at all. Check out the National Road

Traffic Act No 93 of 1996 (as amended).

What you are talking about is proposed legislation that is sitting in Parliament which may or may not get through the legislation. Similar to the banning of lane cutting by motorbikes that was proposed, but never made the 2003 amendment...

;)

Does it matter?

Does it matter?

Yes - proposed legislation is not a law (or regulation) and cannot be enforced. It is merely under discussion. The amendment needs to be gazetted before it becomes law (and thus enforceable). So a motorist can drive as closely to you as he frikkin' well likes. Obviously if he gets too close and hits you, that's another matter...

This legislation has been passed overseas in several countries as they can actually enforce the law, but I think this one will go the same way as the motorbike lane cutting. Locally it will be seen as unenforceable, 'cos our local cops ain't too good at law enforcement...

I would like to see it come in, though. As well as a law regarding culpability in the case of a car hitting a cyclist like they have in Belgium.

Only page 5, this could go on with no change to either sides debate for another 10 pages!

Basically when you ride on the road, you take your life into your own hands, the drivers have little or no respect for riders( due in large to the arrogance of riders) and the riders have little respect for drivers( due in large to above).

We have to accept in SA that riding on the road is like going for a walk in downtown Jhb after dark with a camera hanging around your neck, long socks with sandles and dripping in bling...at some stage you are going to come across someone who wants to take you out! Dont look for it.

For me aggressive riding is not the answer, the answer is riding single file on quieter roads and obeying the laws.

Stay safe.

Only page 5, this could go on with no change to either sides debate for another 10 pages!

Basically when you ride on the road, you take your life into your own hands, the drivers have little or no respect for riders( due in large to the arrogance of riders) and the riders have little respect for drivers( due in large to above).

We have to accept in SA that riding on the road is like going for a walk in downtown Jhb after dark with a camera hanging around your neck, long socks with sandles and dripping in bling...at some stage you are going to come across someone who wants to take you out! Dont look for it.

For me aggressive riding is not the answer, the answer is riding single file on quieter roads and obeying the laws.

Stay safe.

Very well said and summed up, I LIKE! :D

As a 65 year old man that was almost involved in fisticuffs with some of your cyclists before in our street I will gladly stand up for my rights and not be bullied by anyone.The pics are on their way to Roodepoort Record hopefully this will be published soon.

Remember the three cars trying to gain access into the yard yesterday when 7 to 10 of you came around the corner without any care for us turning into our yard and one had the gaul to swear at us. What happened to respect for your neighbours, today's youngsters are something else.

As a 65 year old man that was almost involved in fisticuffs with some of your cyclists before in our street I will gladly stand up for my rights and not be bullied by anyone.The pics are on their way to Roodepoort Record hopefully this will be published soon.

Remember the three cars trying to gain access into the yard yesterday when 7 to 10 of you came around the corner without any care for us turning into our yard and one had the gaul to swear at us. What happened to respect for your neighbours, today's youngsters are something else.

Some cyclists are complete tjops (as are some pedestrians and motorists). Name 'n' shame..