• Soft Bike bag
    • Hardcase bike box
    • Cardboard box from the LBS
  2. 2. I had no problems flying my bike with:

• Kulula
    • SAA
    • Mango
    • BA

M. I'd make 100% sure of that cos not all airlines are the same. Every airline I've dealt with stated very clearly on their websites that bikes are NOT part of your sporting allowance and that it forms part of your std baggage allowance. The key here of course is to make sure by looking at their websites. What airline are you talking about?

Emirates

Etihad

Qatar

BA

Swiss Air. (With them you pay 150 Euro each way irrespective)

I was talking local - SAA. I've only flown with skis internationally and not a bike.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From SAA website - NOTE excludes Argus!!

Special Baggage Charges - (for International and Domestic Journeys valid to both the Weight and Piece Concept)

Special Baggage Regulations are applicable on SA operating flights only. (SA 1000; 7000; 8000 series excluded)

The following Sport equipment mentioned below will allow an additional 20kg free of charge per passenger - this is valid to both the Weight and Piece Concept. Please note that this is not applicable to special events such as the Argus.

•Angling

•Archery

•Basketball

•Bowls

•Cricket

•Cycling

•Diving: (scuba equipment) ◦Please note that the tank must be empty

•Fencing

•Field hockey

•Football/Soccer

•Golf

•Lacrosse

•Netball

•Motor-cycle gear ◦Protective riding gear and helmet; motor-cycle to be sent as cargo

•Rugby

•Shooting/hunting ◦Firearms and ammunition – subject to correct transport and safety procedures

•Snow/water ski equipment

•Tennis/squash

•Ten pin bowling

•Ice hockey

•Surfboards/kite surfing/paragliding: smaller than 200cm

•Volleyball

•Rock Climbing Equipment (including helmets, rope bags, climbing harnesses and crash pads / bouldering mats if not exceeding 200 cm in length).

For interlining and through-check-in on routings where other carriers are involved, give the passenger the choice of checking-in the sport baggage for all the SA Airways 3-digit flight numbers free of charge and to check-in new for all non-SA Airways or do a through check-in and charge passenger for all sectors on the 1.5% per kg or applicable PC excess baggage rates. Confirmed SSR-reservation is mandatory, except for shooting or hunting equipment.

Edited by jcza

Guest Omega Man

From SAA website

Special Baggage Charges - (for International and Domestic Journeys valid to both the Weight and Piece Concept)

Special Baggage Regulations are applicable on SA operating flights only. (SA 1000; 7000; 8000 series excluded)

The following Sport equipment mentioned below will allow an additional 20kg free of charge per passenger - this is valid to both the Weight and Piece Concept. Please note that this is not applicable to special events such as the Argus.

•Angling

•Archery

•Basketball

•Bowls

•Cricket

•Cycling

•Diving: (scuba equipment) ◦Please note that the tank must be empty

•Fencing

•Field hockey

•Football/Soccer

•Golf

•Lacrosse

•Netball

•Motor-cycle gear ◦Protective riding gear and helmet; motor-cycle to be sent as cargo

•Rugby

•Shooting/hunting ◦Firearms and ammunition – subject to correct transport and safety procedures

•Snow/water ski equipment

•Tennis/squash

•Ten pin bowling

•Ice hockey

•Surfboards/kite surfing/paragliding: smaller than 200cm

•Volleyball

•Rock Climbing Equipment (including helmets, rope bags, climbing harnesses and crash pads / bouldering mats if not exceeding 200 cm in length).

For interlining and through-check-in on routings where other carriers are involved, give the passenger the choice of checking-in the sport baggage for all the SA Airways 3-digit flight numbers free of charge and to check-in new for all non-SA Airways or do a through check-in and charge passenger for all sectors on the 1.5% per kg or applicable PC excess baggage rates. Confirmed SSR-reservation is mandatory, except for shooting or hunting equipment.

Ja i just saw that. Great news

Most of the CPT-JHB flights are operated by Comair....see the drop down for "flights operated for us by franchise airlines" (BA6200-6449 Flights are included) there it states only ONE peace..

Same goes for the detail on my ticket..but gonna give it a go anyway and see what happens...

I've flown numerous times with both a laptop and carry-on and have had no problems.

Guest Omega Man

I've flown numerous times with both a laptop and carry-on and have had no problems.

Ja they kind of look at it like a woman's handbag.

The Kulula conditions (also by Comair, and on the same plane as BA on some routes) mentions one 7kg bag and a handbag, laptop bag or similar.

I interpret the British Airways restriction for Comair as applying only to the actual baggage item. The normal weight is 23kg, but goes down to 7kg on those flights.

I'm flying to Canada and US next year. Flying Virgin Atlantic from Joburg to Vancouver = bike transport free for 1st 23kgs. not included in your luggage allowance of 23 kgs. pay per kg thereafter

Vancouver to New York = (Delta Airlines) local carrier charges per kg for all luggage (bikes, check-in luggage and carry on luggage). I may need to find a courrier company or the like to transport our bikes from Canada to New York

New York to SA (SAA) = bike is free for 1st 23 kgs. Not included in your check in luggage allowance of 23 kgs. pay per kg thereafter.

Edited by MorewoodMad

The Kulula conditions (also by Comair, and on the same plane as BA on some routes) mentions one 7kg bag and a handbag, laptop bag or similar.

I interpret the British Airways restriction for Comair as applying only to the actual baggage item. The normal weight is 23kg, but goes down to 7kg on those flights.

That is good news, thanks!

Anyone flown Kulula lately with a bike - did you have to pay in extra?

Website says a bike is allowed but that the normal weight restriction still applies

Anyone flown Kulula lately with a bike - did you have to pay in extra?

Website says a bike is allowed but that the normal weight restriction still applies

Yes. Last year I flew with just my bike bag (just under 23 kg) and carry-on and didn't have to pay extra. I also flew with the bike and normal checked-in baggage and did have to pay extra for the bike bag (R200 for the extra piece, if I recall correctly).

Hey Guys we have bike transport to the Amashova from Johannesburg but they wont do it from Cape Town unless there is a reasonable demand! Get your buddies to cross the big mountains and come up to KZN to ride the Shova and we will persuade Elliott for next year! Safe travels and see you at the SHova in October!

I flew down to Kimberley on Friday with my bike– had to do some work in Kathu and though while I’m there, I’ll do the Kumba Iron Ore Classic yesterday. My flight was on SAA – operated by SA Express. This was the first time that I’ve take my bike on a plane so I was a bit nervous about the whole affair. It turned out to be really simple, I think in the end the biggest effort was wrapping and boxing the bike! With SAA you’re allowed one piece of check-in luggage and if you only check-in your bike with no other luggage, then you don’t pay excess at all. And that’s really no problem because I packed all my luggage (in smaller bags), bike gear and pump into the bike box with the bike (with the additional advantage of protecting your bike from bumps and heavy handling).

I got a box from the friendly guys at Hot Spot in Pretoria (Cycle Lab in Lynnwood wanted to charge me R150 for the exact same thing!) and Google greatly assisted in boxing the bike in an efficient and safe way. At the airport, checking-in was effortless and the box was collected from the counters. No problems, did the race, re-boxed my baby and returned last night (the box was even 10kg overweight on the return flight but the guy said its ok…). Obviously the process will be more complicated (and the risks greater) for international flights, but I just realised that travelling with your bikes is not such a big deal.

Then, my 2c and a few tips on the whole thing:

- I don’t know much about bike mechanics and I really looked up to taking my bike apart to fit it into the box but it’s actually really simple and in my opinion, safer that way!

- The box that I got from Hot Spot still had the carton supports and wraps (for the top tube, down tube, shifters etc.) from the Scott that was shipped in it. I used this with bubble wrap to protect my bike – really worked well. When you get a box from your LBS, be sure to ask for all the padding that came with the box. And remember to also pack all the tools that you will need to assemble the bike again!

- Give yourself at least an hour plus to wrap the bike the first time. It takes a while to figure out what goes where etc. (And Google “Box Bicycle”).

- Try to be at the airport early and check in first–apparently they can refuse to take realllly oversized baggage if flights are very full.

- And this might sound stupid, but ask to have “fragile”stickers placed on the box. Last night at OR Thabo, the porter from SAA who brought out my bike thought it was a flat screen TV because of the stickers :whistling: ! Chances are that they will actually handle the item with care then!

post-36036-0-12721400-1348430794_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Flew with 1time both ways for sswc. Boxed bike in a cardboard box from lbs. They included bike as part of 20kg luggage allowance so I was overweight, but allowed me to check my other bag in as carry on. So no charge there. Only other hassle was forgetting to put leather an in bikebox, I had to donate it.

What I found to be best is to pack the bike in a cardboard box. They seem to handle it with more care and it also weighs a lot less than a carry-bag.

I also pack my bike like Karooryder - accept mine is a MTB so I put handle bar ontop of top-tube.

With SAA it is free most year round.

Guest Omega Man

For those flying to Europe Turkish Airlines allow bicycles up to 32kg's in addition to your 20kg std baggage allowance. Once again it's best to make 100% sure and get it in writing before you book tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

In June 2012 I brought a bike from Hamburg to Cape Town via Istanbul onTurkish Airlines.

It had to be in a box with the pedals off/inside and handlebars sideways.

It cost 90 Euros.

I recently came back from Hamburg to Cape Town on BA and it was the same story as Turkish Airlines except only 50 Euros although that time I did not actually have a bike - I just enquired.

Edited by timefly