• Soft Bike bag
    • Hardcase bike box
    • Cardboard box from the LBS
  2. 2. I had no problems flying my bike with:

• Kulula
    • SAA
    • Mango
    • BA

Any updates to travelling with a bike? Looking at going from Dbn to Cpt return. Will have my bike in a box weighing less than 20kg and the rest as hand luggage.

I see mango is R275 per sector for a bike. Is this regardless if your total checked in baggage (just the bike) is less than 20kg?

I also believe mango does not allow any other items in the box such as blankets, sponge etc. is this correct?

If my bike box is less than 20kg and this is my sole checked in luggage on Kulula is there still an additional fee?? (not from what I can see on the website)

Any help would be great.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a SciCon AeroComfort2 roadie bag, total weight is less than 17kg with my bike securely packed in it.

I always travel Kulula, they don't charge a penny for hold luggage provided it's within the 20kg limit. Other airlines will charge exorbitant rates per sector.

Never had any problems with my SciCon bag, Kulula or my bike after unpacking it. Happy days! :thumbup:

post-39984-0-43315900-1383170956_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brogue

• 2 weeks later...
Guest notmyname

I just purchased a soft bag for my 9'er don't think it will be more that 19/20kg's.My question is the Gautrain? It's a better option to get to ORT than a texi.

• 1 month later...
Guest notmyname

Wow! I must say the Gautrain was a great idea. Kalula... Not so much. Baggage handlers manhandled my poor "bird" and dinged the rear wheel, right at the top of how it was positioned(FML). So after many emails and back and fourth and back and back.The powers have pretty much said tuff luck(FML x 2).

Guest notmyname

I didn't have the dosh for a hard case. What I did do is purchase a handful of the hollow pool noodles from Game. I split them length ways and slipped them on everywhere possible for more protection. Bag and bike still only came in at 18kg's.

• 2 weeks later...

and from our friends at flySAA

The following Sport equipment mentioned below (cycling being one of them) will allow an additional 20kg per passenger - this is valid to both the Weight and Piece Concept.

Anyone know if this info is still correct/the latest?

Is the 20 kgs extra in one piece of luggage or is two prices allowed?

Cardboard box

Emirates

Bike hard cases and bags are all fine and well until you're trying to make it under a certain weight limit without having to pay excess baggage or bike transport fees.

Emirates allows 30kg check in luggage. A DH bike ranges between 16 and 20. Add protective gear, tools, spares, and all the items not allowed in ones carry on, and one will seen see that an 8.6 kg bike bag (like the Evoc one) is not really practical.

Evoc bike bags are the best. Wheels protect the frame and you can fit a lot of extra stuff in there. I have 3 bags and regularly travel with 2. And yes, SAA accepts one bike for free. Under 20/23kg. Just ensure that they have space on the plane for it. Always a good idea to book the bike, even if free.

I flew Cpt - Jhb - Sydney - Auckland with my carbon MTB no problem in a EVOC bag from CWC.

Cpt-Jhb was SAA, rest was Quantas though

• 3 weeks later...

When they say sports equipment they generally mean golf clubs.

I am flying SAA to Cape town next Sunday. I have phoned them and they said no extra cost for a bike bag.

For those thinking of flying somewhere abroad, Qatar Airways is not only very well priced, but one gets 30kg baggage allowance (to Europe), plus 10kg extra for a bike. So total 40kg allowance. No one bag can be heavier than 32kg though.

Last year I flew to Mongolia to ride the Mongolian challenge. Used an EvOc bag for my carbon Mtb. Flew on 6 flights in total via Hong Kong, from Australia. Not a scratch or dent. Removed the brake rotors and rear derailleur. Qantas as were fantastic. Am flying to SA for joberg2c in April. Will use same bag.