• Soft Bike bag
    • Hardcase bike box
    • Cardboard box from the LBS
  2. 2. I had no problems flying my bike with:

• Kulula
    • SAA
    • Mango
    • BA

Seems everyone is expecting you to package it, which I think is good. Issue I have is, that on BA, it seems like you only allowed 1 carry on bag limited to 7kg..for CT to JHB..so if you check in your bike, you will have no real baggage allowance.

I need to take my Laptop as carry on so no space left for clothes (if you mix business travel with a bike ride) :thumbdown:

You can take one piece of hand luggage, as well as a laptop on BA flights.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_za

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone tried to fly in the USofA with their bikes?

No, but i did fly internaly and back from the states with a mtb front suspension, 2 rims, 2 hubs and spokes all packed into my suitcase. This was quite a few years ago...16 and 21/09/2001, needless to say the suitcase was unpacked both times by a BIG marine.

Flew to Canada from JNB via London once with my bike in dedicated bike box, no problems, but i did inform the airlines before hand and did not pay for excess weight, even tho i was slighty over the 23 kg limit. The guys that took bikes without being packed in a box or without prior arrangement had no problems going there but on departure they had to pay $$ for excess weight.

Proper bike box imo is a good investement if you intend to travel by plane more then a few times, make sure its the right size for your bike without having to remove to many parts i.e. the front suspension on mtbks. My road bike fits nicely into my bike box but the bladdy zula is just a few inches to long and have to take the front suspension off :cursing:

Guest Omega Man

Yeah bike boxes are great but they weigh an absolute ton.

Another 2c

Cardboard boxes work fine. I usually buy an extra roll of tape to strenthen the corners. I have a shop pack my bike. they charge me R100 and do a much better job than I am prepared to.

When flying abroad with a bike Emirates is a great choice of airline. They have a 30kg checked baggage limit whilst most other airlines that fly to Europe from here are 23ish. Their carry on limit is 7kg. I carried my helmet in my hand in addition to the 7kg bag. When it comes to the carry on don't use those trolley cases. they are k@@@k heavy so you are wasting. A nice light togbag is the way forward.

If travelling in a group consolidate your tools so you have one of everything instead of a whole bunch of allen keys and no pump. (Yes. Been there) Also. Any tools longer than 100mm will get confiscated from your carry on so it's best to check them.

Try to pack clothes and bits in to your bike box bearing in mind the airlines weight limit but pack a set of riding gear in your carry so that if your bike doesn't arrive you can maybe bum/rent/steal a bike to use until yours shows up.

If you are transferring remember that some poor oke has to carry your bike around so he's gonna leave it for last so if your transfer time is too short there's a chance it won't make it on to the plane with you. (Been there too)

If you are transfering internally. e.g. BA flight to JHB Qatar flight to Geneva Collect your bike in JHB and then check it on to the international flight. It's a ball ache but if you don't guaranteed your bike will arrive a day late. (been there)

Edited by Omega Man

Seems everyone is expecting you to package it, which I think is good. Issue I have is, that on BA, it seems like you only allowed 1 carry on bag limited to 7kg..for CT to JHB..so if you check in your bike, you will have no real baggage allowance.

I need to take my Laptop as carry on so no space left for clothes (if you mix business travel with a bike ride) :thumbdown:

A laptop (and a womans handbag) bag doesn't count as a carry on luggage. You can still have a 7kg bag in addition to that.

Last flight in Aug I didn't even let my tyres down & packed the bombs in the bike bag, no problem. SAA from Jhb to CT return. Bike bag packed with bike, one wheel & other luggage. I was told that allowance is 23kg plus 25kg for sports equipment. And hand luggage (1 piece).

A question from my side then that is almost related to this topic, but what are the best companies to 'ship' your bike by train/truck to Cape Town for the Argus?

Oh ja if going the bike box route especialy LBS cardboard style and doing lots of in between walking ...try and factor in some wheels into the design / construction so u can move it around without having to carry it

A question from my side then that is almost related to this topic, but what are the best companies to 'ship' your bike by train/truck to Cape Town for the Argus?

Elliott thru Cyclelab

Where are u? There's a chap (Andre) who is / used (2010) to be based near midrand (JNB) that does this for the big bike events, pm me if u would like his number

Guest Omega Man

Last flight in Aug I didn't even let my tyres down & packed the bombs in the bike bag, no problem. SAA from Jhb to CT return. Bike bag packed with bike, one wheel & other luggage. I was told that allowance is 23kg plus 25kg for sports equipment. And hand luggage (1 piece).

When they say sports equipment they generally mean golf clubs.

I use Vanload Bike Transport, super efficient and very friendly (and cheaper if you book early on). Jo-Ann even called me afterwards to check if I was satisfied with their service! I can really recommend them!

You can take one piece of hand luggage, as well as a laptop on BA flights.

http://www.britishai...in/public/en_za

Most of the CPT-JHB flights are operated by Comair....see the drop down for "flights operated for us by franchise airlines" (BA6200-6449 Flights are included) there it states only ONE peace..

Same goes for the detail on my ticket..but gonna give it a go anyway and see what happens...

Guest Omega Man

Clubs, bikes, skis etc.

M. I'd make 100% sure of that cos not all airlines are the same. Every airline I've dealt with stated very clearly on their websites that bikes are NOT part of your sporting allowance and that it forms part of your std baggage allowance. The key here of course is to make sure by looking at their websites. What airline are you talking about?

Emirates

Etihad

Qatar

BA

Swiss Air. (With them you pay 150 Euro each way irrespective)

Edit: I've just looked at the SAA website and it seems bikes ARE sporting equipment They do state that the argus is an exception tho. Hahaha.

Edited by Omega Man