• Soft Bike bag
    • Hardcase bike box
    • Cardboard box from the LBS
  2. 2. I had no problems flying my bike with:

• Kulula
    • SAA
    • Mango
    • BA

Anyone know where I can get a cardboard box for my bike? Couriering it down for the Argus next week and Solomons don't have, apparently

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah bike boxes are great but they weigh an absolute ton.

Another 2c

Cardboard boxes work fine. I usually buy an extra roll of tape to strenthen the corners. I have a shop pack my bike. they charge me R100 and do a much better job than I am prepared to.

When flying abroad with a bike Emirates is a great choice of airline. They have a 30kg checked baggage limit whilst most other airlines that fly to Europe from here are 23ish. Their carry on limit is 7kg. I carried my helmet in my hand in addition to the 7kg bag. When it comes to the carry on don't use those trolley cases. they are k@@@k heavy so you are wasting. A nice light togbag is the way forward.

If travelling in a group consolidate your tools so you have one of everything instead of a whole bunch of allen keys and no pump. (Yes. Been there) Also. Any tools longer than 100mm will get confiscated from your carry on so it's best to check them.

Try to pack clothes and bits in to your bike box bearing in mind the airlines weight limit but pack a set of riding gear in your carry so that if your bike doesn't arrive you can maybe bum/rent/steal a bike to use until yours shows up.

If you are transferring remember that some poor oke has to carry your bike around so he's gonna leave it for last so if your transfer time is too short there's a chance it won't make it on to the plane with you. (Been there too)

If you are transfering internally. e.g. BA flight to JHB Qatar flight to Geneva Collect your bike in JHB and then check it on to the international flight. It's a ball ache but if you don't guaranteed your bike will arrive a day late. (been there)

So did you use a hard box? Is that the only item that you checked? I'm going through Dubai later this year and need to borrow a bag or a box, don't know which.

Anyone know if there is anywhere I can store my bike at Joburg airport for a day or two? I cant get someone with a big enough car to pick me up when I land tonight. Funny enough the big enough car is at the airport Carpark but someone has the parking ticket with them and only lands on Saturday. Alternatively I got the spare key to the car. Would I be able to get the car out without the parking ticket????

Anyone know if there is anywhere I can store my bike at Joburg airport for a day or two? I cant get someone with a big enough car to pick me up when I land tonight. Funny enough the big enough car is at the airport Carpark but someone has the parking ticket with them and only lands on Saturday. Alternatively I got the spare key to the car. Would I be able to get the car out without the parking ticket????

Go to entrance and pull a new ticket. :ph34r:

Go to entrance and pull a new ticket. :ph34r:

Hahaha...

Mmmmm, now why can that NOT be workable solution?

I think the car gets scanned with the ticket. Or linked somehow. Might have to pay for a lost ticket.

I've flown numerous times with both a laptop and carry-on and have had no problems.

Kulula and BA will allow one piece of carry-on (supposedly <7kg's) AND laptop bag for DOMESTIC flights.

I fly every week (for my sins) and use the largest legal carry-on bag I could find (NB: DO NOT undo the widening zip, as bag will then NOT fit into std overhead locker) AND a karrimor daypack with my laptop, lots of documents, toiletries and my LARGE specialized helmet...

Somebody.....

Anybody!!!!!!!!

r

Phone +27-11-3902318 thats the luggage storage in the airport. I left mine there overnight as I was coming in late and going out early and biing picked up by my accomodation. Its several years ago say 4? but worked a treat back then.

edit the full text from airport website

There is a luggage-storage depot on the upper level of the underground parkade, near the main lift lobby in International Arrivals. Mastercard and Visa accepted. Open 24 hours 7 days a week. Phone +27-11-3902318 to check what the current storage rates are.

Edited by The Crazy German

Lesson learnt.

Flew SAA JNB to PLZ and bike goes for free.

Flying back tonight and they tune me,...

Sir you are 22kgs overweight. We'll have to charge you.

REALLY?!? I thought the bike goes for free?

Nope! That's with SAA sir. You're flying SA Express tonight. Only golf clubs goes for free.

...Errmmmm. Okay!

• 4 weeks later...

I actually just asked SAA about this for a JHB-Nairobi flight. In the end I'm flying Kenya Airways ($80 for a bike), but in case useful to anyone else, this is what SAA customer service said:

On our direct SAA flights, you are entitled to 1 additional piece at 23kg for your Sporting equipment at no additional charge. This allowance excludes SA Airlink, SA Express, code share and star alliance partners.

On our direct SAA flights, you are entitled to 1 additional piece at 23kg for your Sporting equipment at no additional charge. This allowance excludes SA Airlink, SA Express, code share and star alliance partners.

Yeah. Tried my luck booking on SAA for an Emirates flight (code share) and I was told no free transportagion for the bike. I was trying my luck though, trying to get the 30kgs on Emirates plus the bike for free :devil: :ph34r:

Guest Omega Man

So did you use a hard box? Is that the only item that you checked? I'm going through Dubai later this year and need to borrow a bag or a box, don't know which.

Sorry boss. Only saw your post now.

When flying Emirates you are allowed one piece of 30kg checked luggage. plus an additional 7kg of carry on luggage.

I use a cardboard box. I've done 3 trips and touch wood it's been fine every time.

This is my advice.

1. Use a cardboard box. The bike bags and cases weigh a ton.

2. get a bike shop to pack your bike. They've done it more than you and plus they'll have boxes. Expect to pay around R150 for the service.

3. Get the shop to leave the top of the box open so you can stash extra stuff inside

4. Get them to weigh the box so you know how much you can stash inside.

5. once you've dropped the extras inside tape it up well and reinforce the corners.

6. You might want to throw in a roll of packing tape for the return journey.

7. When uppacking take note of how they packed your bike so you can do the same on the return journey.

8. DON'T GO OVER! It's R600 a kilogram for excess luggage on Emirates and a smile won't get you out of paying.

9. Your carry on. Get the cheapest lightest togbag you can find. Expensive generally means heavy. Don't use a wheely case. They are heavy.

10. Carry your helmet in your hand. And maybe accidentally drop your gopro and gloves in there too.

Disclaimer* I've only traveled with a DH bike which weighs 17kg on it's own. If you are traveling with a roadie bike you'll have weight to burn. then I'd go max protection. But don't go over that 30kg.

Edited by Omega Man

• 6 months later...

Virgin Atlantic is great for bikes. They allow you to bring one piece of sports equipment, so also one bike in a bag or box, for free next to your normal luggage. The only limit they put on it is the weight: 23kg. Flew with them before with my bike in a box and everything was all good and free.

Edited by Mattin