Your DH Machine

Mitch21

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wont lie - that gun-metal grey looks cool!!! :thumbup:

My vote: the grey looks good, but the original colors kicks ass!

Banna - it needs a re-spray, and TBH the existing colour scheme isn't my favourite version of the DHI's offerings.

In addition, it'll be coming down to a cost issue as well as ease of application. Can you imagine trying to block out all those different colours on a home-job?!

I'll be buying a sticker-kit as well, but just for ease of application and a colour that will stand the test of time, the grey is winning out at the moment...

where are you getting your bike repainted?

I need to do something about my bike as well

Go for metallic gloss

Edited by Diepseun

• 2 weeks later...

Question - Metallic Gloss or Flat Gloss?

Colour will be a deep grey. Gun-metal like.

DUDE - go metallic - it must be GLOSS and SHINY! ... Matt-coloured bike look like ASS :thumbdown:

So hows the spraying going?

NIGE!!!

Getting the cans & sandpaper tomorrow. Going for a Rustoleum grey basecoat, with an Enamel Mettallic Gun Metal Grey topcoat (2 minimum) and then an enamel clearcoat to finish it off.

Decals will be designed & printed later, with inspiration taken from the net. I'll get them done before the topcoat is put on so that it's super hard and inpenetrable.

Fork will be sanded down, V Brake bosses ground down and then sprayed either the gun metal or a deeeeeeeep red.

The jury is still out on the fork...

I have a bar now - 780mm BooBar w/20mm rise (thanks Capricorn!) and am looking for stem, brakes, shifters and a chain. Then get her some High Roller super tackys, and she'll be ready to go.

Ideas are welcome!

No sorry Dude - you got 4 years to go still till id say its retro! I take it as 10 years or older!

@ Cptmayhem .... go onto PinkBike and got search in their Photos ... just type GT DHI ... there are some tricked out ones there to give you some ideas ... like these

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6297693/p4pb6297693.jpg

NOT ORIGINAL COLOUR I DONT THINK ... :thumbdown: but still looks cool with the red boxxer!!

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6051264/p4pb6051264.jpg

YES PLEASE!!!! - Thats TRICK!!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb4119385/p4pb4119385.jpg

Pretty sweet - but i prefer the white wheels!!!

Yeah, white is it! Gives it that responsiveness that black is lacking...

Oh - just found out that it's an '02 Boxxer, so 7" it is!

Saw the tech guide on the web, downloaded it and it was the first year to refer to the "external rebound / compression adjusters" so I upended the bike, grabbed a 3mm hex and DANG! Them threads at the bottom of the fork are HOLLOW! I Got me some compression & rebound adjustment!

I'll be sorting it all out and servicing the buggers while the lowers are being sprayed.

Oh - and the shock works. Tested the rebound screw, and at full in she backs up slower than an 80-year-old on prozac.

Saw the tech guide on the web, downloaded it and it was the first year to refer to the "external rebound / compression adjusters" so I upended the bike, grabbed a 3mm hex and DANG! Them threads at the bottom of the fork are HOLLOW! I Got me some compression & rebound adjustment!

I'll be sorting it all out and servicing the buggers while the lowers are being sprayed.

Oh - and the shock works. Tested the rebound screw, and at full in she backs up slower than an 80-year-old on prozac.

SWEET - thats a bonus BIG TIME!!!

Ag no man Mayhem... no I feel completely inferior with my measly 6 inches of travel...bastardo!

You must to itching to get that okie done? Get cracking swarrie!

Fo SHO!

Bought the paint and sandpaper today... (80 to get the stubborn bits of paint off, 320 to smooth off the ridges and 1000 grit to finish her off) Colour is Black Midnight Metallic. Not actually a black, but it was the closest to gunmetal grey in a metallic enamel paint. Also got one of those pseudo spray-gun grips that latches onto the top of the cans so that I can control the rate of spray more easily, and get a better spread of paint on the frame.

I will post progress regularly. Tomorrow (or tonight) marks the beginning of the dismantling process. Can't wait to get her finished!

Still in 2 minds about the colour of the fork though. Monoblock (same gun metal grey as the frame) or a deeeep metallic red, or even black. Hmmmmm....

Photoshop mock-ups to follow as well.

Myles: how come you didnt use paint remover instead? 80 grit will give u some serious grooves which will require even more work...on something that is pretty smooth to begin with, I personally would prefer paint remover.

Haha! Wondered when someone would ask that question... ;)

I needed the 80 for some woodwork projects I've got going. Got some reclaimed oregon pine that is SERIOUSLY bleached & pitted, and I need to smooth out a few sections with the coarse stuff before I take my sander to it.

I've got one of those stanley-blade endowed paint scrapers & some paint remover as well. Will be using the blade to get some stubborn chips off after the majority has been taken off by the stripper (did I just say that? :blush: )

There are some chips in the finish of the rear triangle at the moment anyway, so I don't really want to expose bare ally to those sections. I've seen some nasty things happen with solvents and metal surfaces! :nuke: (old man was head waterproofing & flooring engineer/tech for a.b.e for a good long time. Site visits to Illovo, Huletts etc were a common occurrence. Main problem - improper preparation. Amazing what raw molasses can do to a hardened epoxy floor, given the opportunity! :thumbdown: )

Saying that, the frame itself looks pretty solid wrt paint coverage, so that shouldn't be a problem with the stripper. I like strippers for that very reason - they manage to get down to the substrate exceeeeeedingly efficiently. :devil:

Edited by cptmayhem