Your DH Machine

Mitch21

Awesome. Shot Nige, I'm really looking forward to getting it on the trails. Quite a bit that still needs doing, and my funds are limited at the moment. Waiting for my road bike to sell before I finish her...

And you might be right about the 2000 boxxers being 180mm... Will have to do a bit more digging though.

For the moment though, I can concentrate on cleaning it up and getting it all SPARKLY!!!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice cptmayhem... welcome to the real mountainbike club ;)

ps. don't let the lycra-lads hear me say that. They'll kick down the jumps I've built on the spruit :lol:

LOL! Shot mate.

And don't worry, I still wear lycra (under my baggies)!

Awesome. Shot Nige, I'm really looking forward to getting it on the trails. Quite a bit that still needs doing, and my funds are limited at the moment. Waiting for my road bike to sell before I finish her...

And you might be right about the 2000 boxxers being 180mm... Will have to do a bit more digging though.

For the moment though, I can concentrate on cleaning it up and getting it all SPARKLY!!!

pity you're in CT, cos I have a bunch of unused things lying around that you're welcome to.

Maxxis High Roller 2.5 tyres (haven't got tons of grip, but still some k's left in them)

Race Face Diablous Bars 720mm wide, 30mm rise

If you have a mate coming from JHB to CT maybe we can organize?!

Edited by patches

Just got this. Well, I got it last week, but I broke it to the wifey this evening whilst out to dinner. So she couldn't say anything...

Lookin forward to givin it a go when she's properly built up!

Oh - that's my XC machine in the background...

Frame: 2000 GT DHI

Weight: F**** knows. She heavy

Fork: 2000 Boxxer 150mm. Damn

Rebound: Stiff spring only

Preload: See Reload

Compression adjustment: See Preload

Pressure: See Compression

Adjustment of Fork: See Pressure

Shock: RS Deluxe Pro - 7" travel

Wheels: Alex DX 32 front, Mavix DH 521 Rear

Hubs: Formula front, Hope Pro 2 rear

Crank: Bargain basement (42 tooth - OUCH!)

RD: XT (oooooold)

150mm rear 12mm maxle rear, and proper 20mm thruaxle front.

Bars: Not yet

Shifters: Not yet

Chain: Not yet

Tires: Not yet

Ready to rip it when it's ready... Hell yeah!

post-3056-0-20130900-1312323563.jpg

Congrats Mayhem! I see the hardtail is still standing in the background. Is that just for effect? ;) Cos' once you go full suspension there ain't no turning back boet! The first few rides will probably feel funny coming off a hardtail. Will feel like riding on a nicely padded couch! Enjoy. :thumbup:

Congrats Mayhem! I see the hardtail is still standing in the background. Is that just for effect? ;) Cos' once you go full suspension there ain't no turning back boet! The first few rides will probably feel funny coming off a hardtail. Will feel like riding on a nicely padded couch! Enjoy. :thumbup:

Thanks mate! And I know all about riding fast couches - had the pleasure of riding Capricorn's M9 FRO. Oh. My. Hat. It's a totally different experience!

Anyway, it needs cleaning up, and there's a bit of stiction in the rear shock, but that's normal for an 11 year old bike. Just need to give it a good service, i suppose...

Can't wait to get on it!

As for the XC machine, I'll still be riding her. And I still do ride her. She's a lekker bike, and that's what I will be doing my cardio training on. Kinda hard to do that on a DH bike, you know!

Thanks mate! And I know all about riding fast couches - had the pleasure of riding Capricorn's M9 FRO. Oh. My. Hat. It's a totally different experience!

Anyway, it needs cleaning up, and there's a bit of stiction in the rear shock, but that's normal for an 11 year old bike. Just need to give it a good service, i suppose...

Can't wait to get on it!

As for the XC machine, I'll still be riding her. And I still do ride her. She's a lekker bike, and that's what I will be doing my cardio training on. Kinda hard to do that on a DH bike, you know!

Ha ha! I'm sure that DH bike will give you plenty of cardio if you cycle it up to the mast. ;) Hmmm...that makes me think... I wonder what would be the quickest time down from the mast? That could be an interesting race?

DUDE ... do me ONE favour ... PLEASE keep the colour scheme the ORIGINAL team colours ... If you have it resprayed do it in the same colours ... dont be a Fanus and spray it karki brown or something (like a mate of mine did with his team-edition Santa Cruz Super 8) :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Its SO cool seeing all the retro bikes making a comeback now! and they look SO trick in their original dresses!

DUDE ... do me ONE favour ... PLEASE keep the colour scheme the ORIGINAL team colours ... If you have it resprayed do it in the same colours ... dont be a Fanus and spray it karki brown or something (like a mate of mine did with his team-edition Santa Cruz Super 8) :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Its SO cool seeing all the retro bikes making a comeback now! and they look SO trick in their original dresses!

hells yeah!

But wait... what age does a DH bike have to be in order to be considered 'retro'?!

I have a 2005 Morewood Izimu... is that old enough... or not quite?!

But wait... what age does a DH bike have to be in order to be considered 'retro'?!

I have a 2005 Morewood Izimu... is that old enough... or not quite?!

No sorry Dude - you got 4 years to go still till id say its retro! I take it as 10 years or older!

@ Cptmayhem .... go onto PinkBike and got search in their Photos ... just type GT DHI ... there are some tricked out ones there to give you some ideas ... like these

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6297693/p4pb6297693.jpg

NOT ORIGINAL COLOUR I DONT THINK ... :thumbdown: but still looks cool with the red boxxer!!

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6051264/p4pb6051264.jpg

YES PLEASE!!!! - Thats TRICK!!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb4119385/p4pb4119385.jpg

Pretty sweet - but i prefer the white wheels!!!

Well, in order to stay true to the DH thing, it'd be prudent to go down from the mast and continue on the fire road until the start of the DH sections...

But of korse, don't be redikilus...

No sorry Dude - you got 4 years to go still till id say its retro! I take it as 10 years or older!

haha! well I plan on keeping it til it dies... so yeah, I'll check back in 4yrs :lol:

Just got this. Well, I got it last week, but I broke it to the wifey this evening whilst out to dinner. So she couldn't say anything...

Lookin forward to givin it a go when she's properly built up!

Oh - that's my XC machine in the background...

Frame: 2000 GT DHI

Weight: F**** knows. She heavy

Fork: 2000 Boxxer 150mm. Damn

Rebound: Stiff spring only

Preload: See Reload

Compression adjustment: See Preload

Pressure: See Compression

Adjustment of Fork: See Pressure

Shock: RS Deluxe Pro - 7" travel

Wheels: Alex DX 32 front, Mavix DH 521 Rear

Hubs: Formula front, Hope Pro 2 rear

Crank: Bargain basement (42 tooth - OUCH!)

RD: XT (oooooold)

150mm rear 12mm maxle rear, and proper 20mm thruaxle front.

Bars: Not yet

Shifters: Not yet

Chain: Not yet

Tires: Not yet

Ready to rip it when it's ready... Hell yeah!

post-3056-0-20130900-1312323563.jpg

Hope you enjoy her once you have her up and running.

Hope you enjoy her once you have her up and running.

Thanks mate. Sure I will have fun!

Nigel - It's a tough one... I'm in 2 minds about respraying original, or giving it a stealth gun-metal grey finish with the fork in black, a la

post-3056-0-28735900-1312400442.jpg

But the original paint finish does look good.

At the moment, the frame does need a re-spray, but it will be a slow process, as I still need to get hold of some parts so that she can be ridden. I see a few trips to Cape Town Cycles to get some 2nd hand bargains... That, and a Boobar with 30mm stem. Nice.

Still waiting for somebody to buy my road bike though...

Mast to car park in under ten minutes. Yes i rode my dh bike to the mast. Once. And then had to replace the back tire afterwards as all the knobs came off on the tar.