Trail Running

Weight Weenie

Quoted from the site : http://www.southernstorm.co.za/ I would like to attempt this one but need training advice. First leg of the race is to run the OTTER trail in 8 hours

What is the Southern Storm?

The Southern Storm presented by Hi-Tec has been dubbed “The Impossible Race.” It is a 6 day, staged, full service, offroad duathlon featuring Mountain biking and Trail Running that traverse some of the most spectacular natural and wilderness regions in Africa. The Storm follows a new path every year. Participants are accommodated in tented race camps which are moved daily.

What is the History of The Southern Storm?

The inaugural Southern Storm was staged in September 2009 and ushered in a new era of staged Storm Racing (Sport Traversing Oceans Rivers & Mountains). The first Storm, which attracted some of the best endurance athletes in Africa, was described by hardened multisport competitors as the most physically challenging event ever. The combination of two of the fastest growing trail sports into one staged event of an individual format provided a race of strategic intrigue for followers and proved exceptionally popular with competitors.

The 2009 Storm started in the Tsitsikamma section of the Garden Route National Park and, over six days, completed a full traverse East to West of the park finishing in Ebb and Flow at Wilderness.

What is the format of the Southern Storm?

The Southern Storm is divided into 6 daily stages. Each stage comprises of one or a number of Legs. Each Leg is completed either by Mountain Biking or Trail Running. Distances of the Legs vary from 4km to 42km for the trail running Legs and 10km to 100km for the mountain bike Legs.

Leg, Stage and Overall Times are recorded and presented on a Race Leader-Board each day. Leg winners, Stage winners and overall Race Leaders are acknowledged in a daily ceremony held in the evenings in the Race camp. Competitors are ranked on the leader board according to their overall times and the leader at the end of every stage is presented with a yellow jersey. The number one ranked competitor at the end of the final stage is declared the winner of the event.

Races can be run in a “time trial, “chasing” or “straight race” format. Transition times will be included in overall race or stage time however some transitions many have a set minimum time allocation or be neutralised. Bonus times may be awarded for race wins and or hotspots. More information on the race format will be provided in the Race Rules and Competitor News Letters.

Timing is done electronically with a bi-directional chip-based system.

Race rules will be strictly implemented in 2010. A copy of the rules will be made available to all competitors.

Ooooooooh :drool: :drool:

I like this.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I find cycling spikes my HR far worse than running for some reason. That said a long outing on the bike doesn't hurt nearly as much as a long run, for obvious reasons.

Socks - The best socks I've had to date are the Injini's - some people love them, some people don't.

Shoes - you'll eventually find a brand that suites your feet. NB & Salamon seem to work for me. That said often the most cost effective shoes are my shoes of choice. I think trail running shoes (due to the uneven terrain) are an easier choice than road shoes. One day when I'm big (and psyched on running again), I hope to try the Inov8s ;)

Hydration - For me I mix between a handbottle and a hydration pack. For long events I use both (handbottle for juice & hydration pack for water). I've tried the waist pack & never enjoyed it as it creeps up your body and eventually rests on your gut.

One day when I'm big (and psyched on running again), I hope to try the Inov8s ;)

Injini's are awesome :thumbup:

Wuss, Luna sandals or Fivefinger :thumbup:

While I can understand the idea behind the Luna's & the 5 fingers are any big event (ultras) winners actually running in these?

there seems to be alot of discussion about the various trail shoes have any of you tried the new asics trail running shoes? with their running heritage they should be good. i have tried alot of different trail shoes and found the following:

new balance: very comfy probably the best ive tried

Nike: too flexible for trail running no real toe protection

Hitec: very robust, great in the wet, very hard midsole ( dont think you still get them?)

adidas: very hard sole not good in the wet

solomons: narrow dont fit my feet well... feet go dead after awhile

inov8: next choice

Asics: i use asics running shoes so i will be trying their trail shoes

the inov8's looks like a "race only" shoe with that thin sole?

they have a big range Amoryns i like the look of the roclite 285 seems to be a good allrounder

Dangle - go buy the go-multi mag with Ian Don Waschoupe(?) on the cover, theres a big write up on the southern storm.

Im getting one of these for long runs as soon as theres stock in feb - will probly attrackt 35% duty ?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/camelbak/delaney-dc-waist-mounted-bottle-holder-ec025681?query=camelbak delayney

You get 2x gel flask, 2x 710mm insulated bottles, bungee cord for a jacket and pocket for bars, keys, phones etc and its not too expensive either !

that man is a machine...runs the otter in 4 hours...what the hell..definitely not a mere mortal

I've also had a set of Montrail Hardrocks. They were really robust/stable shoes but were definitely a bit too bulky. They work really well as approach shoes though.

The Salomons only work for me if I walk a lot in them with the lacing system fully undone for a couple of weeks (before running in them), it seems to stretch them out. After that I've had no issues, but now that the Salomon factroy outlet is no longer in JHB :unsure: (AFAIK) I doubt I'll be buying a pair at full price.

My 1st pair is my current pair - Montrail Rockridge.

Love the shoes and fit my flat feet well. Sole is agressive and grippy, wearing too fast though cause of the soft rubber.

Solomans for example are too narrow for me and the insoles hurt my feet with the wedge as I have little to no bridge on my feet.

Personally I wouldnt by trail shoes from a road shoe company, like Nike for example that have just adapted the road pegasus.

Theres a nice looking Timberland on the back of the Runners world, keen to check that out.

Also would like some of the Innov8 like the flite 195 for short distances.

Hi-tec wise, the old shoes were very hard in the midsole, but they are launching their new infinity range, with waterproof or water resistant uppers - looks very nice

While I can understand the idea behind the Luna's & the 5 fingers are any big event (ultras) winners actually running in these?

On the Fivefingers guys are winning lot's of trail events.

Races are being won in Leadville and a few other serious ultra's with New Balance MT 101 's

Anton Kuprica actually has quite a bit on his blog and also announced the New Balance Minimus, this is the shoe I will take with me if I was to do something like the race Amoryn mentions here, the Vibram's just don't offer enough for sharp rocks.

These minimalist shoes encourage forefoot/barefoot style of running.

I know Micah True was given a pair of MT 101's and for a man who did Leadville in sandals to rave about shoes, it has to say something.

they have a big range Amoryns i like the look of the roclite 285 seems to be a good allrounder

Just picked mine up today, let you guys know once I've run in them!

post-2742-0-32177000-1294231317.jpg

Dangle - go buy the go-multi mag with Ian Don Waschoupe(?) on the cover, theres a big write up on the southern storm.

Im getting one of these for long runs as soon as theres stock in feb - will probly attrackt 35% duty ?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/camelbak/delaney-dc-waist-mounted-bottle-holder-ec025681?query=camelbak delayney

You get 2x gel flask, 2x 710mm insulated bottles, bungee cord for a jacket and pocket for bars, keys, phones etc and its not too expensive either !

I read the article, sadly Woodchopper is not human :lol: :lol:

I tried on one of those waist packs from Camelback the other day, very nice.

Just picked mine up today, let you guys know once I've run in them!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Here comes the lower calf building.

I read the article, sadly Woodchopper is not human :lol: :lol:

I tried on one of those waist packs from Camelback the other day, very nice.

Ja Woppo is another beast entirely !

Where did you see the Camelbak waist pack ?

Im lusting after one big time, as currently I cant really go for with one bottle if its hot ( I tend to drink allot versus Celeste for example, always bumming water from me :D )