Trail Running

Weight Weenie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the club running every Wednesday and how may people are there? Looks exciting. Am am looking to get into adventure racing as from next year as well

Ghostman, where did you buy your Inov's? ive been looking for them but cant find any info as to who stocks them

I know the Running Inn in Hatfield, Pretoria sells the Inov8 shoes. They are truly amazing shoes. Super light and very comfortable.

does weight weenie use those vibram five fingers shoes?

i do all the outdoor sports, not really for cross training, but to keep the boredom on the downlow. And i'm equally average at them, so i do okay when they're all combined. The one thing i have picked up is that doing lots of riding helps with the really hilly footraces. so i would think the opposite is true. this has no basis in science, i don't really think about training past what the weather looks suitable for today.

Is there any other running shoe ?

Yeah, I am trying to get into it again. Unfortunately, anything over 4k and my knee aches like a sunavabeetch. Need to ease myself into it. Far more entertaining than road running, and makes you fitter faster. Also means you have to think about where you put your feet.

Funny that I used to race my mates down Berg trails when I was a lightie though. In veld-skoene nogal!

Is there any other running shoe ?

We don't all have your "hub Ninja" skills remember, so we do need some actaul cushioning :P

Will try the Vibrams at some point, but first a pair of Innov8 F-lite 185's :drool:

Grondpad currently its only me, Celeste and Stewie911 (Werner) and Bigello has also joined but with the club we are trying to make it a regular thing, a nice mid week break from the rat race ! Also I suggested it as it fits my training regime and its boring to allways run alone.

Cant make it this wednesday but we are provisionally going tomorrow (tuesday) at 5pm for the 10km yellow trail. Ill be going at around 3pm to mtb before that as well, lemme know if u wana join

Started trail running during the winter and really enjoy it, so less cluttered than riding and it really kept me going through winter.

Was wondering who else also does trail running to suplement their riding ?

Any tips on how to incorporate this into your bike training ?

If you're in Pretoria gimme a shout and we can go run in Groenkloof or the like.

Or any other cool running trails in the area you may know of...

Cheers,

WW.

I broke my bike at the end of last summer and did quite a bit of trail running. I only did the one event - the 2 oceans trail run - and enjoyed it apart from the bit where I needed to go for stitches.

A few things I noticed as a cyclist :

• I found I was able to run uphill much better than a lot of the field, but on the flats they started to pull away from me.. and I weigh about 85kg but ride a lot of hills.
  • My average heart rate for the event was much higher than in my hardest ever race, about 3 or 4% higher.
  • Cardio wise I had no issues whatsoever, but my legs, tendons and muscles, felt like a truck had run them over after every long run.
  • Blisters are hell.

Guest agteros

I broke my bike at the end of last summer and did quite a bit of trail running. I only did the one event - the 2 oceans trail run - and enjoyed it apart from the bit where I needed to go for stitches.

A few things I noticed as a cyclist :

• I found I was able to run uphill much better than a lot of the field, but on the flats they started to pull away from me.. and I weigh about 85kg but ride a lot of hills.
  • My average heart rate for the event was much higher than in my hardest ever race, about 3 or 4% higher.
  • Cardio wise I had no issues whatsoever, but my legs, tendons and muscles, felt like a truck had run them over after every long run.
  • Blisters are hell.

Rule of thumb (read guideline / rough estimate) is that running HRmax is about 15 bpm higher than cycling (road I'd say, with MTB slightly higher than road)

I've found that while my legs could keep going, my cardio system was rubbish, couldn't get in enough air it seemed, thought I may have started smoking in my sleep or something :lol:

DOMS is a biatch until you get used to the pounding.

Did a run in compression socks the other day and did seem to reduce vibration on the muscle and thus less soreness afterwards.

Guest agteros

@Luke: The blisters are due to one thing only: Incorrect shoes. Wrong size, shape for feet. You might make it better with different lacing pattern

@Weight Weenie: Do cardio whilst running, and cycling cardio will NEVER ever be a problem again! Your uscles are sore simply because they are not used to the running / pounding. Use the compression socks for recovery afterwards, and just run. Your legs WILL adapt and get stronger. Remember we were 'designed' for running, not cycling, our legs WILL adapt. Cycling makes our legs 'soft' and not used to real hard work like they can.

@Luke: The blisters are due to one thing only: Incorrect shoes. Wrong size, shape for feet. You might make it better with different lacing pattern

@Weight Weenie: Do cardio whilst running, and cycling cardio will NEVER ever be a problem again! Your uscles are sore simply because they are not used to the running / pounding. Use the compression socks for recovery afterwards, and just run. Your legs WILL adapt and get stronger. Remember we were 'designed' for running, not cycling, our legs WILL adapt. Cycling makes our legs 'soft' and not used to real hard work like they can.

Thanks AgterOs, I wore a new pair of Salomon XT Wings and they utterly destroyed my feet. At least I looked the part though. :lol:

Socks can also cause them - I bought Falke trail running socks and they are absolute rubbish !

Got some First Ascent Swift trail running socks - Heaven ! No blisters, padded and breathable. Low cut and good elastic to keep crap out the shoes