Pedal spanner

JacquesT

Does a gedore spanner fit into the narrow gap between the pedal and the crank. My standard spanners are too thick.

Mine does.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found a Gedore spanner works 100%, and a little grease or wax lube keeps the threads clean. (Watch the chainring: I've had a tooth go right through my fingernail when the spanner slipped.)

Buy Look pedals, then you dont need a spanner, you can use an Allen Key :P

My Shitmano pedals use an allen key B)

i bought most of my tools at cash crusaders, if you buying a spanner just to use for the pedals , you might save 50 %....

The Park tool is excellent. pedals have a thread so that if the bearings arent great, they actually tighten by pedalling forward... to loosen unscrew it in the opposite direction as the pedals move when peddaling.

Does a gedore spanner fit into the narrow gap between the pedal and the crank. My standard spanners are too thick.

You get them with thin walls... can't go wrong with Gedore!

I've found a Gedore spanner works 100%, and a little grease or wax lube keeps the threads clean. (Watch the chainring: I've had a tooth go right through my fingernail when the spanner slipped.)

I have also taken the skin off my knuckles too many times, now I put the chain on the large chainring, works great when washing/servicing the bike as well.

You get them with thin walls... can't go wrong with Gedore!

If you break a gedore I'll buy you a new one. I've only used Gedore on my pedals, never needed a pedal spanner.

Any Chrome Vanadium spanner of the correct thickness should work. Gedore spanners are really good and of industrial and commercial quality, but if you are buying it for only one application at home, Gedore spanners are expensive, a No-Name brand of "Chrome Vanadium" spanners is quite sufficient for the home mechanic / handyman.

Indeed, in my engineering company we stopped buying Gedore / Stahlwille / Snap On etc as we generally lost dozens of them on an annual basis and you could replace 2 or 3 Chrome Vanadium spanners for the price of one Gedore / Stahlwille - I cant ever remember the guys ever breaking one either, and thats in a commercial enviroment.

Any Chrome Vanadium spanner of the correct thickness should work. Gedore spanners are really good and of industrial and commercial quality, but if you are buying it for only one application at home, Gedore spanners are expensive, a No-Name brand of "Chrome Vanadium" spanners is quite sufficient for the home mechanic / handyman.

Indeed, in my engineering company we stopped buying Gedore / Stahlwille / Snap On etc as we generally lost dozens of them on an annual basis and you could replace 2 or 3 Chrome Vanadium spanners for the price of one Gedore / Stahlwille - I cant ever remember the guys ever breaking one either, and thats in a commercial enviroment.

They are quite expensive, I recently had to replace one and I was shocked at the price. I "inherited" a full set from my dad(inherited in qoutes cause he's still alive, the spanners just aren't his anymore :D ). He's to old to use them anyway.

They are quite expensive, I recently had to replace one and I was shocked at the price. I "inherited" a full set from my dad(inherited in qoutes cause he's still alive, the spanners just aren't his anymore :D ). He's to old to use them anyway.

:D - Do's he know that though.? :D

Yeah, a Gedore set will knock your glasses off price wise, I think they are great and built to last a lifetime, but when you are in a commercial enviroment like me and the guys leave them out on site, in bakkies, outside to get stolen, the "life" of the spanner is probably less than a few months - of course in a home enviroment its differant and a well crafted spanner is a thing of beauty, but if ya just gonna take your pedals off with it - well, maybe its overkill.! :D

:D - Do's he know that though.? :D

Yeah, a Gedore set will knock your glasses off price wise, I think they are great and built to last a lifetime, but when you are in a commercial enviroment like me and the guys leave them out on site, in bakkies, outside to get stolen, the "life" of the spanner is probably less than a few months - of course in a home enviroment its differant and a well crafted spanner is a thing of beauty, but if ya just gonna take your pedals off with it - well, maybe its overkill.! :D

I think he must have realised something is up when I showed up at his house to borrow A spanner and left with the whole set :D The only reason I bought another Gedore is to keep the "set" intact. He's quite proud of it, always reminding me that he bought them over a period of 20 years or something as and when he needed a certain size.

My brother and I also got a full Stahwile socket set - since my brother has more insurance than me, its at his place

Thanks for the advice. I'm building up my tools, spanners and sockets has been last on the list due to price. I've wanted a full Gedore set but your post has convinced me to rather get something else.

Then again, I've got access to a full Stahlwille socket set if I really need to show off ;)