Pedal spanner

JacquesT

I use an allen key socket and a power handle to remove my pedals. Just remember which way you should turn to loosen and whick way you should turn to tighten them ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice. I'm building up my tools, spanners and sockets has been last on the list due to price. I've wanted a full Gedore set but your post has convinced me to rather get something else.

Then again, I've got access to a full Stahlwille socket set if I really need to show off ;)

The next thing I'm eyeing in my old man's toolshed is the Gedore sockets :D It makes me kinda sad knowing that all the tools I've bought and saved for and appreciate my kids are just gonna take one day. But I guess thats life!

Thanks for the advice. I'm building up my tools, spanners and sockets has been last on the list due to price. I've wanted a full Gedore set but your post has convinced me to rather get something else.

Then again, I've got access to a full Stahlwille socket set if I really need to show off ;)

Yeah, Stahlwille is just superb stuff, but for a home mechanic its overkill unless you just like high end spanners, of course, then, its fine.

I would not suggest buying spanners at a retailer like say Mica, Builders Warehouse etc, they sell mass market products, and Gedore is in that market, The Masstores group have their own brand "Mastercraft" (which if you ask me is the American "SEARS" brand just renamed here for them??) its also very good and sometimes you can get specials, but look for a tool distributor in your area, here in JHB there are lots, they service the engineering shops, workshops etc and will sell and stock the imported Chrome Vanadium spanner, simply because few commercial shops buy Gedore etc they are just too expensive, and thats where their business is, but honestly the No Name brand Chrome Vanadium spanners are really quite good enough for 99% of all applications.

Whatever you do do not buy a BBB pedal spanner.

I did and I had a pedal that was a battle to get off.

One of the jaws snapped off and cut my cheek just missing my eye.Drew blood the swine.And I know which way to turn the spanner

Indeed, in my engineering company we stopped buying Gedore / Stahlwille / Snap On etc as we generally lost dozens of them on an annual basis and you could replace 2 or 3 Chrome Vanadium spanners for the price of one Gedore / Stahlwille - I cant ever remember the guys ever breaking one either, and thats in a commercial enviroment.

My dad used to be in the Engineering sector. He had all the tools taken into a cage like shed. And when someone used a tool, he checked it out by signing for it. When it didn't come back, it got substracted from pay! End of those problems of tools going missing!

One of the reasons I service my own bike most of the time was I was sick of some hack spanner jockey tightening my pedals to the point where I needed the 15 spanner and the long handled allan key and conan the destroyer to loosen it.

uhm, I'd say don't go for the set. You're probably never going to use all the stuff in there and it costs a fair whack. I'd buy Gedore spanners etc as I need it. Don't need to, my dad has a workshop full of tools.

One of the reasons I service my own bike most of the time was I was sick of some hack spanner jockey tightening my pedals to the point where I needed the 15 spanner and the long handled allan key and conan the destroyer to loosen it.

In the spirit of the hub I must comment. . .

Conan was a barbarian, I think the Destroyer was someone else.

It's absolutely crucial that we get these little details right, else nobody will respect us.

It's absolutely crucial that we get these little details right, else nobody will respect us.

LOL

but Conan ( or Arnie) was both, Barbarism didn't work so he just chose to destroy everything.

We'll Arine was not arround that day and did not say when he'd be back,

So in his absence I had to use his steroid using alterego

We'll Arine was not arround that day and did not say when he'd be back,

So in his absence I had to use his steroid using alterego

Huh, now what kind of a Giant are you? :D

The Destroyer is lifeless on its own - although it can act independently for short periods [9] - until animated by the life-force of a sapient living being. Even when so animated, the Destroyer retains a rudimentary base personality that will eventually subvert the host unless a strong-willed individual is in control, such as Thor or Loki.[9][2] Odin is also able to cast a spell that can force the animating persona from the armor and deactivate it.[2] Once animated, the Destroyer possesses the strength to exceed beings such as Thor and is almost totally invulnerable, withstanding even a million tons being thrown onto it and not even falling over. The armor also has the ability to project blasts of energy/heat/concussive force, emit a disintegration beam activated via its visor, manipulate electro-magnetism and molecules allowing him to turn solid stone to lava and achieve flight.

(wikipedia)

Sounds kinda like TERMINATOR. . .

He was the Destroyer in the 1984 sequel to 1982's Conan the Barbarian.

He was the Destroyer in the 1984 sequel to 1982's Conan the Barbarian.

You are absolutely right, I withdraw my obnoxious comment and invite all those with other obnoxious comments to tread on over to the "32 Gee, I don't know" thread and share your obnoxious comments there.

My dad used to be in the Engineering sector. He had all the tools taken into a cage like shed. And when someone used a tool, he checked it out by signing for it. When it didn't come back, it got substracted from pay! End of those problems of tools going missing!

Yeah, its the only way, but I dont know, I never got it right. The tradesmen like the toolmakers, turners etc were fine but they never left the shop, it was the fitters who went out to site with 30 spanners and came back with 3 that drove me to drink.

I would shout and scream and go all red in the face, but it never made the slightest impression, eventually I just gave up. :(