Another cyclist Killed...When will it stop??

Capcha

Cyclist killed during Midmar Dam race

2010-10-10 17:00

Johannesburg - A cyclist was killed when she was hit by a car during a race at the Midmar Dam on Sunday, KwaZulu-Natal paramedics said.

"A woman in her forties was entering the Midmar Dam venue for the final stretch of the race to the finish when she was knocked off her bike," said ER24 spokesperson Vanessa Jackson.

"It is believed that a woman driving a Toyota Avanza cut in front of the cyclist on the R103 at the entrance to the dam, knocking the woman with extensive force."

Her injuries were severe and she was declared dead at the scene.

"The local police department arrived on the scene and detained the driver of the car for further questioning," Jackson said

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad news indeed.

Condolences to friends and family.

The saddest part is that she leaves behind a young family.

Prize giving was already on the go when the accident happened.

Not sure of exactly what happened but it sounds like the rider was turning and the car overtook at the same time.

These races need to be more controlled by the traffic cops, I spent the day in the lead vehicle and there were far too many riders in the middle of the road even though there was not any road closure.... Please ride carefully, its the best thing you can do to protect yourself.

sympathies to the family :( :(

for this to happen during a race is very worrying, so where were the marshal's and it shows the blatant disregard the motorists have and show even during a cycling race.

Condolences to the family. This was one of my favorite races when I lived in KZN. Does anybody have details as to who she was

Very sad, condolences to the family. The announcer said her name was Olive.

There were 2 marshalls and a traffic cop at this intersection and half the road was closed off with highly visible cones. It appears this motorist was not licenced and I surmise she panicked when the cop waved her down.

Very sad, condolences to the family. The announcer said her name was Olive.

There were 2 marshalls and a traffic cop at this intersection and half the road was closed off with highly visible cones. It appears this motorist was not licenced and I surmise she panicked when the cop waved her down.

Speculation or Truth?

I rode in this race.

We had a Police car as a lead vehicle in our group.

On a fast downhill section (Happy Hill) where we were clocking 80kph+ we had a car pull into the group from behind.

He totally disregarded the Police vehicle and acted like a complete ass endangering everybody.

My opinion is that the marshals seemed to be doing a fairly decent job.

However the lack of full road closure can cause problems when it's combined with dangerous/negligent drivers and a lot of cyclists.

It makes my blood boil. :angry:

My condolences to the family of the lady killed.

Condolances to fsamily and friends..... always sad when a cyclist dies.

We should however start to care for the living. Our giref is normally an edification of our guilt.

Such a sad day - my heartfelt sympathy to her young family and friends.

I was there too with my little one on the tandem and it was a very well organised race as it always is.

The marshalls did a superb job all the way - how do you stop a car if you stand at the intersection with just a flag - you can only just hope and pray they'll respect you enough!! How many of us every actually say 'thank you' when passing these very marshalls??

Sad news indeed, I suppose nothing will happen to the driver of the car though. Prehaps all the cycling clubs should band together to have a good lawyer on standby to assist in prosecuting these drivers that have no respect for the law and cyclists?