CSA Licencing

levett

While I agree that race entries are getting more expensive (and undoubtedly some of the more 'popular'races are a rip-off), I actually feel that I am getting something tangible for my money. I would have thought it is the race organisers that negotiate with land owners, not CSA.

This is not the case with CSA - as far as I can see, the money I pay to CSA gives me absolutely no benefit at all!

Has anyone ever met anyone from CSA at a Race? what do they do for their R1.1 Million plus salaries, and their R350K travel and accommodation expenses?

With Race Entry Fees, you can pick and choose which races to enter - and if that is on cost, then you are at liberty to pick and choose. With CSA, it is 'Pay Up'or you can not enter any race!

Who gets paid that much as CSA? Thats ridiculous if they are, is that each?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who gets paid that much as CSA? Thats ridiculous if they are, is that each?

That's my 'estimate' of the total for 2010 - based on their published figures for August, and extrapolating (on a linear basis) to the end of the year. I don't know how many people they employ - hopefully quite a few if they are spending R350k on travel and accommodation!

Edited by levett

While I agree that race entries are getting more expensive (and undoubtedly some of the more 'popular'races are a rip-off), I actually feel that I am getting something tangible for my money. I would have thought it is the race organisers that negotiate with land owners, not CSA.

This is not the case with CSA - as far as I can see, the money I pay to CSA gives me absolutely no benefit at all!

Has anyone ever met anyone from CSA at a Race? what do they do for their R1.1 Million plus salaries, and their R350K travel and accommodation expenses?

With Race Entry Fees, you can pick and choose which races to enter - and if that is on cost, then you are at liberty to pick and choose. With CSA, it is 'Pay Up'or you can not enter any race!

I suppose some of those costs go towards development as well as training camps for up and coming riders. I am not saying that CSA has had their sh!t together all along, rather that they are now realising that the cash needs to spent on something useful so they are now charging every "racer" a license fee to generate funds. I am pretty sure that government aren't going to finance it...

As far as meeting a CSA official, Mike Bradley who used to be Chairman of the SAMBC was at most of the KZN and some of the Gauteng races both riding and just being there. I think the problem is that most of us are not aware of who works for CSA and what they look like. Perhaps they should wear a target...

Edited by Grebel

Perhaps they should wear a target...

I like that idea :D

Perhaps they could were distinctive shirts, and they could follow the 'Report Bad Driving' principle!

It could say:

Cycling SA Official

Hi My name is *** *****

I'm a CSA Paid Official

You are most welcome to discuss ANY CSA issue you have with me

I like that idea :D

Perhaps they could were distinctive shirts, and they could follow the 'Report Bad Driving' principle!

It could say:

Cycling SA Official

Hi My name is *** *****

I'm a CSA Paid Official

You are most welcome to discuss ANY CSA issue you have with me

Was just on the CSA website and after much hunting for contact details (small Click here at the bottom of one of the subsidiary pages...) they have an email address info@cyclingsa.com I suppose you could always drop them a mail and vent...!? Use your mates computer...

Was just on the CSA website and after much hunting for contact details (small Click here at the bottom of one of the subsidiary pages...) they have an email address info@cyclingsa.com I suppose you could always drop them a mail and vent...!? Use your mates computer...

SA-MTB is the division of Cycling South Africa that is directly responsible for mountain biking in South Africa.

SA-MTB, together with Road and Track, BMX and Recreational Cycling, form Cycling South Africa (CSA).

SA-MTB Contacts

# Name Position Mobile Phone Number

1 Andrew Nicholson Director 0824956276

2 Johann Wykerd High Performance 0828573735

3 Richard Durrant Technical 0834000620

4 Grevile Ruddock Selectors 0827813551

5 Antionette Harding Border 0834411108

6 Charl Joubert Eastern Cape 0720812802

7 Charles Roberts KZN 0833232222

8 Sam Nienaber Southern Cape 0833013375

9 Christelle le Roux Western Cape 0827825338

10 Brett Coates Mpumalanga 0827745821

11 Derek Palmer Gauteng North

12 Retief Frysen Gauteng North 0833766771

13 Terence Casey CGC 0722243536

No, would still work out cheaper having the full licence - Say 1 or 2 races a month @ R35 a time, kinda adds up. Also youre only allowed 3 day licenses according to CSA :unsure:

I ride more than 3 races a year. The beauty is that CSA does not have the means to police the 3 races per year rule. You fill in the boekie at the tannie that looks after the day license stand. Next race you do the same - different tannie this time, and no they do not have a laptop with a database. They are too much interested in the MONEY.

This is how it worked this year, am sure it will be the same next year. Might work different for the stuff you have to enter online.

I ride more than 3 races a year. The beauty is that CSA does not have the means to police the 3 races per year rule. You fill in the boekie at the tannie that looks after the day license stand. Next race you do the same - different tannie this time, and no they do not have a laptop with a database. They are too much interested in the MONEY.

This is how it worked this year, am sure it will be the same next year. Might work different for the stuff you have to enter online.

Agreed with the policing, many of these races have on day entries and dont have time to police the 3 limit. They also usually charge extra for late entries so it benefits them not to turn people away

Simply open your own club at no cost to members if need be for social riding/racing

In Gauteng will work as follows:

Group of guys cycle together as club"mampara" your payment for year: CGC R75-00

CSA R75-00 Total R150-00 done.

Other provinces clubs pay an affiliation fee per club to province + R75-00 for CSA no big deal.

In cycling every event rips us off and yet we contiunue doing them yet the national/provincial body gets slapped for their fees.

In Gauteng we used to do the inter-club events(old GPPA under Len Kline) at R20-00 per rider they were well supported with clubs entering around 4/5 teams nowadays you pay R110-00 per rider and the events still takes place without questions on the fee escalation.

Mallo, CGC were the one's charging R110 per rider for the inter-club, not the clubs that have organised the event.

Payment had to be made online (entelect) or on the day to CGC.

You'll be pleasantly surprised how much gets paid to online event companies to facilitate the online entry process... that to me is a rip-off

You'll be pleasantly surprised how much gets paid to online event companies to facilitate the online entry process... that to me is a rip-off

And they charge an additional R10 per person admin charge to the people entering.

Agree Frosty, just pointing out how our administrators are taking us for a ride. Good example to follow is the people out in the Nort West who after getting an opportunity to rake in big bucks felt it better to contain their entry fee for the AGA (Two Provinces race) after Bakwena was cancelled

Well done to Liefie and company

Well at least the address is right now. It was info@cycling.co.za for about 6 months - which doesn't belong to CSA, so some poor schmuck received a hole heap of pissed off emails for no reason. Hopefully they'll be able to fix all the broken links that's pointing to the old site before the 2020 Olympics. But don't hold your breath.

Entry fees keep going up and confusion reigns over CSA Licensing - has anyone considered what toll fees are going to add to all of this just to get to some of the races.

Just another cost to take into consideration. :blink:

Mich

Entry fees keep going up and confusion reigns over CSA Licensing - has anyone considered what toll fees are going to add to all of this just to get to some of the races.

Just another cost to take into consideration. :blink:

Mich

Interesting point, especially if one looks at all the toll booths been proposed, and already been erected in and around JHB.

I heard it said it could end up costing someone living in the north of JHB and working in Pretoria (or vice versa) in the region of 100 bucks a day in tolls.