Should I buy this MTB?What is a reasonable price?

AndrewF

Ok - so the story is, he is a mate of my CEO. Couple months ago fell at Emmarentia and ended up in ICU for 2.5 weeks. Broken ribs, collar bone, collapsed lung - HARD CORE. Now getting out of MTB'ing

So know he's not a dodgey guy at all

If he is not dodgey why is it being sold as a 2005? Check this

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116669

http://xterrafirma.com/BoarderPhreak/TrekFuel/fuel90_2002.jpg

http://sepedaku.com/forum/showthread.php?27765-wts-Frame-Trek-Fuel-90-SLR-(fulsus)

if you do get it make sure you sort out those bar ends!!!

Lol! Yeah, first thing I noticed. Asked him if he was deformed :blink: haha! It was from the accident. Hasn't touched it since as has pretty much been in and out of hospital since...

Any recommends on other bikes? Any steals you know of???

Lol! Yeah, first thing I noticed. Asked him if he was deformed :blink: haha! It was from the accident. Hasn't touched it since as has pretty much been in and out of hospital since...

Any recommends on other bikes? Any steals you know of???

Speak to Kevin at Cycle Fusion in Weltervreden Park, he will give you a good deal on a brand new Silverback Alpine. Tell him Chris sent you. It is a hardtail but 2011 technology is way ahead of 2002

Edited by chris_w_65

Don't do it! It looks like it has had better days. Check the Hub Classifieds, you can do a lot better than that! Urban Cycles in Durban have a few good deals but they go quickly. Next time you are in Durban give Jerry a call on 084 811 4339. They are a division/extension of Cycleshpere. Mate of mine has picked up a few bargains from them in the form of parts to build his daughter a bike. MTB on a budget. :P

Ye dude...just the fact that the bar ends are not right says to me the previous owner did not take any care of the bike himself...

Just on principle that'd be enough to stop me buying this bike.

If u were in George I'd say head to George Cycle and Sport...they have a new Silverback Nabraska (not 2011 or 2010 model I presume) for a little over 5k...Considering thats like half price I would say get the friend to pitch in :)

But ye, as everyone says...just post here in the classifieds and you will surely get a much more awesome bike for your price than that...

Also, is that a carbon rear triangle...? What is the fatigue like on carbon over so many years, does it not loose stiffness quite significantly?

if I am not mistaken these earlier treks were not rated at all well in the suspension dept - a far cry from the latest ones. Flexy and so on. i'd give it a miss, unless he pays you :)

as you are in jhb, you should go check out westdene cycles. they often have stock of older model bikes at good prices.

That bike is a 2002 model

Yip, that's right, 2002. I had one of these. In fact, this may even be my old bike - some parts look familiar! I rode it hard man :)

The bushings in the suspension wear badly and need to be replaced often. I cracked the frame twice, front and rear triangles. Got free replacements from Trek, but with serious downtime.

I reckon your mate would be better off with a trusty hardtail if R4k is what he wants to spend.

Edited by RacerX

I would definitely have a much wider look around... Don't rush into buying this bike. You seem to have a good heart as you are giving this to your buddy as a gift... but he might hate you for making him ride a cart horse! :P

Seriously dude, a decent hardtail would be better than this entry level full susser... and atleast he will thank you for it :D

Good luck with your choice.

Check out bikebay.co.za they also have some good deals. There is a mongoose meteore ht there for R4500