Cyclist manners

Grebel

uhm, best is not to waste your energy on them if you have greeted and they didn't. When someone don't greet I just think to myself "ah well, f*** them!" My blood pressure didn't go up, my ride is just as relaxed as before and next time I'll remember. And when I happen to pass them, and they need help... I'll return the favour. Go past without looking at them.

Ditto

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!

I've just finished reading some Dale Carnegie - does it show?

<rant on>

I'm not gonna should or shouldn't do anything - if I wanna greet I'll greet - if not my bad - I'm not in a greeting mood. Sometimes I'm lost in my thoughts - sometimes you wave in an overly energetic manner that makes me a bit nervous and sometimes I'm having too much fun to be bothered by peer "rules", public pressure or mortal affairs.

Perhaps your default should be "no greeting" that way you will be happy with even a single greeting. Anybody who gets "peeved" by a non greeter really should realign their peevedness rating.

<rant off>

uhm, best is not to waste your energy on them if you have greeted and they didn't. When someone don't greet I just think to myself "ah well, f*** them!" My blood pressure didn't go up, my ride is just as relaxed as before and next time I'll remember. And when I happen to pass them, and they need help... I'll return the favour. Go past without looking at them.

So someone not greeting you gets a black mark against their name for future revenge? Plus you ante up from not greeting to not even helping. I do love the irony of your posting. Ohhh the angst.

Do you take cell phone pics or do you just have a elephantic memory?

Repeat after me "whooooosah - I shall not clutter my mind with useless little cyclist feuds - whooosah".

UUUUUUMMM Just me or should I expect the greeting based on your rules or do you greet except under those circumstances.

damn! there's no waving icon

How are your nails ?

Digging a little deep there, maybe to deep for someone with your observation and skill.

Oi

Are you not meant to be focussing on Stage 4

Unless someone stole your name :blink:

Dont get me going on that one. It irritates me more than gratuitous greeting.

There are two of us in the cycling world. Sometimes two of us in the same race. At the Epic 2006 there were two of us booked on the same flight and I was denied my flight because I had apparently already checked it and can't go on twice. It was a R1900 flight on SAA. They refused to refund me and after I complained to everybody, including CAA, they reported me to the SAA fraud department who harassed me until I gave up. Now I steal their cutlery and spare wheels off the planes to make up for my loss.

No, but I have had a gripe for years with cyclists not acknowledging one another, as a cyclist when I see other cyclists I at least feel like we are all part of the same family, so a little nod , wave, hi or even the middle finger would be welcome.

The problem is that every second cyclist sits on his egotistical high chair thinking that when you see him you should be impressed with him as he is the next "big thing"

Gosh, the running community are much friendlier, perhaps because they all have something in common, and that is the fact that they respect one another as runners.

I am a motorcyclist. Should I be greeting other motorcyclists?

Don't know, I am not a motorcyclist so I don't understand the thinking within that community.

I agree so much with what is said about these guys attitudes. Bbox and ALOT of other hubbers just go after everyone. What happened to if you cant say something goos, rather shut up...

You know what, i've found out in my life that its the empty tins, that makes the most noise. I'm not mentioning any names but on the for sale forum about 2 weeks ago ther was a guy going on and on about another guys post and prices. Later i found out this guy is a bicycle macanic... Nothing wronf with the occupation but he says he has a PhD and going on about his achievements when in real life he's to ashamed of himself so he has to try and SLANt other people...

Cycling is suppose to be in good spirit and a hobby. Not a D*c measuring contest. The hub is also for cyclist to interact and get info on new stuf. But 90% of the time there comes an IDIOT who takes it to far and everything gets ugly and everyone wants popcorn...

What type of people are YOU???

Greeting can be a wave, a nod or a word.

Do something to acknowledge another human being, I say...

But, phew, when I am going at 95% effort, it is tough!

Edited by AirBender

I know most motorcyclists greet each other when they are on a Sunday morning run... not when they are dodging their way through mid week traffic and their attention is on staying alive... so yes, given the circumstances you should greet :D

Looks like I may have started a sh!tstorm here... ;) As I said before, there are differenmt types of people out there. The greeters, the non greeters and the **** you's. All I am saying is that it costs you nothing to say/gesture "Hi". If you greet, then back at ya! If you don't, then no loss. However if I make the effort to say hi then the least you can do is grunt back. If there is no response then **** you very much!

Again, why not - Just dont crash :clap: