MTB RIDING RULE UP AT TOKAI

Trance23

Hey

I think alot of people have very valid points here. But, maybe simple is better and that keep left when going up and allow fellow riders to pass on your right coming down.

I just want to enjoy my riding up at Tokai and not have people thinking they have the right of way and want to argue about it on a ride. NOT COOL AT ALL:)

And I think then maybe another sport is for you maybe EFC fighting since you have so much anger. The bell idea is a good one actually but, on a Mountain Bike I am not sure. I might work for some and not for others. Maybe a polite passing right or coming passed is fine.

I think the single tracks need to be sign posted as directional signs and a rule as to who has right of way where.

Make life much easier for everyone.

Especially for new comer's to the sport/hobbie:)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right of way for people plodding up the single track makes no sense if there are guys flying down it at 30km/h +

Am I missing something here?

If you are spinning up and you have to stop to let a guy fly past that already has momentum and gravity on his side, you might not be able to get going again. Some places it is just not that easy, then you might have to push a long way before you can mount again.

It is much easier for the guy going down to get going again.

A bit of common sense and mutual respect is all that is needed. Either way going up or down the singletrack you should be looking ahead of you, and if you don't have the decency to slow down a bit, pass the fellow rider with a "thanks" or "hi" then you need to find yourself another sport/recreational activity.

I ride both up and down singletrack at Tokai, and always slow down or come to a stop to allow fellow mtb'ers a bit of room to pass - no need for road rage.

Agree 100%. We all out to have some fun. Some are a bit more serious than others.

If I`m riding with a Lady and a guy coming up the single track tells her to f#*k off, then he gonna get a hurt real bad!

You dont have a bell on your mtb?

Lucky Luke sounds like tis you who needs to advance into the AD era or 21st Century. :rolleyes:

All though come to think of it when i lived in SA i never dreamed of having a bell on my mtb, however here in hiking, walking the dog, horse riding, smelling the flowers paradise its a seriously good idea.

I ring my bell and people, dogs, horses give way...

Hey, nothing against bells Swiss, but as you say, not many people have them here.

If you are spinning up and you have to stop to let a guy fly past that already has momentum and gravity on his side, you might not be able to get going again. Some places it is just not that easy, then you might have to push a long way before you can mount again.

Exactly, well summed up.

I agree that it makes sense to keep left on wider jeep roads to let oncoming cyclists kep to their left as you do in traffic...makes sense.

I also think that if you are riding up singletrack, although you may have right of way, a guy coming down at speed is not going to be able to stop so easily, so use your common sense and judgement.

I also think that most guys that ride Tokai are friendly, and greet or just let faster riders pass. Course as with anything in life, you always get the A&$#H0!#$ that want to stuff it up for everyone.Same as driving!!!!

A bit of common sense and mutual respect is all that is needed. Either way going up or down the singletrack you should be looking ahead of you, and if you don't have the decency to slow down a bit, pass the fellow rider with a "thanks" or "hi" then you need to find yourself another sport/recreational activity.

I ride both up and down singletrack at Tokai, and always slow down or come to a stop to allow fellow mtb'ers a bit of room to pass - no need for road rage.

+1 :thumbup:

The mutual respect thing is the key... Every situation where two riders meet will be different, so a bit of common sense goes a long way to assessing the conditions and 9/10 times you can pass each other without any major interruption.

Agree in some ways but if this happens on a blind corner then the rider coming down might not be able to stop in time! This might be a nasty site!

http://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

This is what IMBA has to say.

This is also one of those recurring topics of who has right of way. Anyway, let me get the popcorn...

Ja Morewood, this topic is gonna go round and round...PSST, can you top me up with more popcorn as Im almost finished! LOL!! ;)

Just joking everyone, but seriously, carry on with the topic as I am enjoying reading different viewpoints.....

I generally give way to the baboons that live on the mountain.

Other than that, I normally give way to guys coming down so as not to spoil their fun.

But both up and down riders keeping left does equal CRASH :D

Hey guys

I agree with alot of you on certain pointers and they are valued I will so that.

But, wouldn't it be nice if there was sort of structure on the MTB as to who has right of way.

Mr 16V shot for not taking abuse from other guys that like to swear at a lady on the mountain.

I think that it is shocking that some guy's say that to us ladies that ride. And yes we can take it but, in some cases it is not necessary at all for that type of language on the mountain. Especially for the fact that families ride there too.

It should be just common sense sometimes when riding where to ride and get off and allow for others to pass. It's funny when night riding everyone seems to be nice and cautious too and each party gives way, No why can't it happen in the day light.

I ride tokai twice a week. I love riding up and down the singletrack. My take is this the downhill rider should have the right of way as its such fun going down you dont want to stop everytime someone is huffing up the track. When im huffing up the track and i see some guys flying down i move to the side they zip past and i carry on ..no worries. Then when its my turn i expect the same treatment.

On weekend mornings if you ride up the single track you a chop im sorry to say but you are. Riding downhill singletrack is the spirit of the sport to muck that up would really be taking the fun out of MTB. SO thats that then teh rule is made uphill move over on singletrack and let the dhill guys rip and no uphill on sat/sun am....and remember im watching u

I ride tokai twice a week. I love riding up and down the singletrack. My take is this the downhill rider should have the right of way as its such fun going down you dont want to stop everytime someone is huffing up the track. When im huffing up the track and i see some guys flying down i move to the side they zip past and i carry on ..no worries. Then when its my turn i expect the same treatment.

On weekend mornings if you ride up the single track you a chop im sorry to say but you are. Riding downhill singletrack is the spirit of the sport to muck that up would really be taking the fun out of MTB. SO thats that then teh rule is made uphill move over on singletrack and let the dhill guys rip and no uphill on sat/sun am....and remember im watching u

As long as you don`t drink pink drinks from your water bottles StevieF, and remember, I`m watching you :P

Totally agree. If I'm going up I'm watching out for fast traffic coming down and will keep left when guys are coming at me. I'm happy to have to remount on an uphill if necessary. Rather that than expect the right of way going up, but the guy is coming down too fast, and the next thing you are both on the deck.

Also agree some kind of rule or structure would be helpful - even if it's just a notice at the gate as mentioned earlier. Even if the rule is the opposite of what I'm suggesting above, I think it would be better than no rule at all. Helps to eliminate confusion.

Edited by Luke.

I think Tokai needs some nice green, red & black signs (like Oak Valley) for the new riders out there who are not sure where to go, nor what difficulty some of the trails are.

Also makes the trails look very professional :clap: