New Roadblock Protocols

Caerus

Christmas time is coming and they want their bonuses!

It`s just like when an MD of a company comes to visit the office, all of a sudden the office must be cleaned, what a joke!

Why not keep it that way in the beginning! :blink:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I havent heard of it, but they cant just infringe on your rights without this been passed through government and been gazetted, has this happened?, cos I havent heard about it.

No Chris-65 as far as I know theres no law that says a passenger has to carry their ID book, in fact theirs no law that says a driver has to carry his ID book, just his / her license.

Maybe its all something they plan to do in the future.?

As I have said before, this country is turning into a nanny state, the state is encroaching more and more into the average civilians life, I for one am not too fond of it.

A nanny state for the small percentage of licence carrying, law abiding citizens. How do you impose any sort of rules or law on someone who doesn't really care? (Taxi industry for example. they strike if they feel they are being victimised)

They should have breathalizers for pedestrians in December. Look at the road fatality stats and see how many of the deaths were pedestrians.

They should have breathalizers for pedestrians in December. Look at the road fatality stats and see how many of the deaths were pedestrians.

Good point.

Pedestrian deaths are VERY high (and the motorist is blamed)

But H.T.F. are you going to monitor that?

Good point.

Pedestrian deaths are VERY high (and the motorist is blamed)

But H.T.F. are you going to monitor that?

Problem is the drunk pedestrians stagger around at night and they are non reflective

A nanny state for the small percentage of licence carrying, law abiding citizens. How do you impose any sort of rules or law on someone who doesn't really care? (Taxi industry for example. they strike if they feel they are being victimised)

Absolutely.

SA is great at creating and passing new laws continously, however they are very poor in implimenting these same laws, so their solution is then to create another law to control the law they didnt impliment in the first place.

Absolutely.

SA is great at creating and passing new laws continously, however they are very poor in implimenting these same laws, so their solution is then to create another law to control the law they didnt impliment in the first place.

Bwah ha ha :lol: So true.

Why do they always roll out this parade by december? What about the other 11 months of the year? The roads are just as busy over easter and July.

Kissing butts for a special Christmas bonus?

@ chris w 65 - Now this is THE F****ING absolute best point i.e your comment that pedestrians should be tested. I respond to many, many, many idiots who have been knocked down by motor vehicles. Especialy in the city area (Cape Town). The average pedestrian in these times has the road sense of a Goat! They do not look before crossing. They do not look while crossing. And, when drunk, generally have no idea of what hit them. As in the freaking hard surface of a car, and then the tar, leaving a sober driver to be seen as the protagonist.

Perhaps it can be a case of hit and then test.. with a foot in the face!

This might infringe on my rights, but so does the drunk/unlicensed driver of a unroadworthy/stolen vehicle. I will opt for the former infringement thank you very much.

All of us Mitch and Boan about the fact that the cops are about as useful as breasts on fish, but then they try and do something and we are once again all over them for attempting to sort stuff out.

When it is shown to be ineffectual, then we can give them hell. Until then, I think law abiding citizens should be supportive.

To say they are all corrupt and looking to supplement their bonuses is like saying all Roadies are idiots. I may in fact be one, but a lot of my tar-brothers are not.

Steady on guys. They are trying to sort out a situation that admittedly they created, but they are none-the-less trying.

This might infringe on my rights, but so does the drunk/unlicensed driver of a unroadworthy/stolen vehicle. I will opt for the former infringement thank you very much.

All of us Mitch and Boan about the fact that the cops are about as useful as breasts on fish, but then they try and do something and we are once again all over them for attempting to sort stuff out.

When it is shown to be ineffectual, then we can give them hell. Until then, I think law abiding citizens should be supportive.

To say they are all corrupt and looking to supplement their bonuses is like saying all Roadies are idiots. I may in fact be one, but a lot of my tar-brothers are not.

Steady on guys. They are trying to sort out a situation that admittedly they created, but they are none-the-less trying.

I dont have an issue with it in principle, but its got to go through the right channels first and be put into law.

You cant have a police force just deciding on their own what they can and cant do, then we may as well just abandon all hope, if its passed into parliment and becomes law then I dont mind, but right now the issue is, its not, therefore its illegal, and infringing on our rights as free citizens.

If they go ahead with their illegal arrests/ interrogations etc I will be out looking for them, this way I get to sue them , then maybe I can afford some of the "Bargains" on the hub...biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I dont have an issue with it in principle, but its got to go through the right channels first and be put into law.

They are allowed to demand proof of identification from anyone who could be considered over 16 according to the Idenification Act.

The Police Act says they can seach any vehicle at a properly set up road block without a warrant.

Certain rights in the Bill of Rights, such as the right to privacy are not unlimited:

1. The rights in the Bill of Rights may be limited only in terms of law of general application to the extent that the limitation is reasonable and justifiable in an open and democratic society based on human dignity, equality and freedom, taking into account all relevant factors, including ­
    1. the nature of the right;
    2. the importance of the purpose of the limitation;
    3. the nature and extent of the limitation;
    4. the relation between the limitation and its purpose; and
    5. less restrictive means to achieve the purpose.

They was an article in the Mail & Guardian a while back about this. The author, a former criminal attorney, concluded that it was legal for them to search you at roadblock, provided they follow the proper procedure.

http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/traps/2010/09/28/please-put-heading-9/

Speaking as an ex-policeman...

1. Although no law says you have to carry ID on you, a policeman has the right to detain you until your identification is proven adequately.

2. A policeman has the right to stop and search anyone provided they have cause, and a high crime rate is considered justified cause.

3. A roadblock can be set up with warrants, though these are generally small and are referred to as vehicle checkpoints, most of the big roadblocks do have their paperwork in order including warrants issued by magistrates to stop, search, take blood etc etc...

During my police career I have been challenged in court many times regarding the legitimacy of stop and search and road blocks etc and cannot recall one instance where the magistrate ruled against the police. At the end of the day, just make sure your legal, carry your ID and you wont have a problem.

They had a road block outside of Magalies on Monday, the idiot running the show on the otherside of the road stopped about 6 cars, got all stroppy when no-one could park where he wanted them to (cause we would have been blocking the road, there was no marked out stopping area!), took everyone's licence, came back 5 minutes later and said we could go. The rest of them were stood around doing pretty good imitations of statues. Lights, discs, tyres etc were not checked, what a waste of time...job creation and nothing else.