Entry fees

husky

For my 2 cents

I am a family of 4,

my son and i would do the longer distances which i do not mind paying for because we race.

But for my wife and younger son who do the fun rides paying over R30 for 10-15Km is taking it to far

The fun races held at northern farm is just a rip off, as the costs must be very low.

I have just come back from KZN and with the MTB races the family aspect is well looked after and is inexpensive and well attended.

There should be a set cost per KM for a race/fun ride so that we are not screwed over

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is that we the cyclists have no idea what fair value is for an entry fee.  We have been treated with cheap rides for years (especially the Capies) and now that the events firstly cost more and provide more' date=' we complain about the rise in fees.  Tour Durban last year ran at a loss, which meant the organisers (who organise events for a living) were not able to take their full share.  Rather think about entry fees as a purchase.  Think what you would be willing to spend on your favourite race as a maximum.  That is the fair value to you.  For most I imagine races are still cheap relative to amount you would be willing to pay before you chose not to enter.[/quote']

nice way of looking at it.Claptotally agree. hoose not to enter that many races. so i don't make the purchases. but, sorry to harp on a bit, but let's get at the development thing. make the kiddies' races cheaper and it'll draw more people to the sport

for guys forking out 10k plus for a bike a few bucks for a ride should not be an issue 55 bucks for funrides in cape town is dirt cheap cant even buy a case of beers Wink of wat se jy holy ??? might just be able to squeeze a nice smooth merlot or pinotage Big%20smile

To be honest I don't know how you guys all afford all the races and travelling etc that goes along with it... if I didn't have sponsors to cover my expenses I would probably be forced to give up just cause of the sheer cost of the sport...

for guys forking out 10k plus for a bike a few bucks for a ride should not be an issue 55 bucks for funrides in cape town is dirt cheap cant even buy a case of beers Wink of wat se jy holy ??? might just be able to squeeze a nice smooth merlot or pinotage Big%20smile

remember, we get wine cheaper up here than you guys doLOLbit too hot here at the moment for merlot or pinotage, although as reds go, it's never too hot for a pinot noir. have been tucking into chilled rieslings and sauvignon blancs (without the flavour additives!) i prefer riding riding by myself and doing my drinking with buddies. sometimes the latter can seem like a raceLOL 

btw, R55 will get you a case of castle (yuck) or hansa at the lbs - local beer shop!LOL

good morning sammajoor!

Howzit holy one

I do not think we will ever get consensus over entry fees granted people must make a living and money buys the whiskey, but if you look at costs on the whole then it does look rather dull

4 people entry @ 120 each ========== R 480     +

travelling to venue - Tank petrol======= R 200     +

Food to keep children quiet========== R  150     +

Spplements and drinks============= R   200    =====

Total                                                          R 1050

Thats if you don't have a fall or pop a tyre so look at the broader picture and then it becomes a ripp off

good morning sammajoor!

Howzit holy one

I do not think we will ever get consensus over entry fees granted people must make a living and money buys the whiskey' date=' but if you look at costs on the whole then it does look rather dull

Thats if you don't have a fall or pop a tyre so look at the broader picture and then it becomes a ripp off
[/quote']

you left something out:

Whiskey=====================R 120

Total                                                          R 1170

holy roller2007-09-25 23:23:11

good morning sammajoor!

Howzit holy one

I do not think we will ever get consensus over entry fees granted people must make a living and money buys the whiskey' date=' but if you look at costs on the whole then it does look rather dull

[/quote']

you left something out:

Whiskey=====================R 120

Total                                                          R 1170

Soory forgot the cough syrup for adultsLOLLOLLOLLOL

You can never just look at an ENTRY FEE as your actual cost - there are a whole host of EXTRAS the organisers would rather you forgot about as Sammajoor has pointed out, a big one now been the extra cost of collecting your number, some folk end up driving 40 -50 kms to do so and the waste of time and extra effort is unacceptable.

The committee I sat on once did a cost amortisation and it was estimated the cost to a cyclist travelling 50km to a race and back, was in the region of R400.00 including an entry fee of R150.00 - thats for one person.!

Now think of the cost to a cyclist travelling 800 KMS or more to a race and back, and perhaps overnighting.

So, obviously, the problem is a price point issue (ie) Organisers know the cyclist will pay XYZ to do the event, and raising the cost will probably reduce entries, so its a constant battle to keep the cost within a certain price range, and inevitably, somewhere costs have to be cut or cross subsidisation occurs. 

You can never just look at an ENTRY FEE as your actual cost - there are a whole host of EXTRAS the organisers would rather you forgot about as Sammajoor has pointed out' date=' a big one now been the extra cost of collecting your number, some folk end up driving 40 -50 kms to do so and the waste of time and extra effort is unacceptable.

[/quote'] Exactly the reason why I'm not doing the Amashova this year!! Catch me once as they say... and the trip was 180km so that they could get us to go to some silly expo!!!Delgado2007-09-26 08:35:05