Entry fees

husky

I know we all going to need a licence to race next year, BUT don't you think Cycling SA should regulate the entry fee we pay next we will be paying R500.00 to ride the 94.7 and ARGUS.

Where does all the money go to it is rumoured that some event organisers put a lot of money in there own pockets, and the to big races put over 3mil in there pockets?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I organise a good, enjoyable event and it attracts a large entry why can't I put a whack of crispy notes in my pocket?

Surely the bigger the event, the more the costs of toilet hire, medical services, policing and workers required to run the event.

My views of license. Surely everyone should have one in order to enter a race.......... so why was I nailed R30 for a temp licence a few months ago and now I don't need one for 94.7 ............ HUH, c'mon tell me???

I think entry fees are at a respectable level for all one day races and that licence fees are also at a reasonable level. Just the seeding index must cost a lot of money to keep updated (even if it is always late, but that is another story) .

When it comes to MTB stage races they're a little steeper, but when Sani2C sells out in two hours at R 5200 - 00 per team, are the organisers not entitled to make a profit?

I think everyone is just so used to low entry fees and not paying licence fees that this is just someting to rant and rave about.

i've started doing a cost-per-kilometre calculation when i see entry fees for mtb races, especially the newer ones on the calendar. i think it's ridiculous when it goes up to R3 a km. 

and the cost of kiddies' races are just ridiculous. 

The people that feel there are no reason to complaint about race entry fees are usually the ones that has not got a whole family to enter ! A few months ago we coplained because the going rate was R1 a km , now we are already talking about R3 a KM .

I think its more ridiculous when you enter a MTB race and get a pink T shirt.Unhappy scotty2007-09-25 00:10:18

I think its more ridiculous when you enter a MTB race and get a pink T shirt.Unhappy

I like my pink t shirt i got yesterday try entering a whole family if four and then you bitch about entry fees not a pleasureConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

There is obviously two camps of opinion here on the license issue, and we all just go round and round in circles, so I wont even go there, but as far as race entries go (price wise) after sitting on the organising committee of the third largest event in SA for over 5 years I can probably say, with all conviction, - few people make any money from road races - obviously I cant speak for ALL races and I am generalising from my experience.

It depends on the the work involved and some major events are organised and run by commercial companies and of course they are paid relevant fees for their work, however most races are organised by clubs, the work is done by club members at no cost, sometimes the club will hope to take a small fee if possible, but most of what remains after everything is paid is donated to charity.

I have never heard of anyone person enriching themselves from a bicycle race, I would have no problem with it, but there just is usually not sufficient money left.   

widget, i agree with you to a point. what rankles me in particular are the ludicrous fees for kiddies races. surely, organisers could make these more accessible. generally mom or dad are gonna enter the big race. why not lay on the kiddies races for cheaper? i mean it's R50 for the 16kay funride. R20 normally gets you in to northern farm for a whole day. it says on entrytime that 40% of entry fees is going to prize money - the remainder to charity - so it seems the littlies will be subsidising the older guys and girls' races.    

Yes HR, I hear you, and to be honest, I dont have an answer.

Obviously there are costs to run a kiddies race, especially if there are medals etc involved, but, yes, I think there is a certain amount of cross subsidisation going on.  

I see no problem in someone making profit out of a race! Its a hell of a lot of work! How many of the cyclists out there will put in hours of work you don't get paid for??

I also don't think entryfees are that bad, especially if you look at the bikes people ride on! Whats R200 compared to the thousands people spend on a bike?

Well thats just my thoughts!

Have no problem with the making money issue , BUT when you charge something like R50 / Km for a kids race and you are using someone else's infrastructure then something is wrong or you are trying a get rich quick scheme.  R80 for a 10 km funride for my daughter is also a little??? bit expensive  or am I alone in this predicament

Try entering 3 people in a long distance race @ R 220 / person and the R80?? for a kiddies funride=====  financial displeasureShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

my 2 cent worth

The truth is that we the cyclists have no idea what fair value is for an entry fee.  We have been treated with cheap rides for years (especially the Capies) and now that the events firstly cost more and provide more, we complain about the rise in fees.  Tour Durban last year ran at a loss, which meant the organisers (who organise events for a living) were not able to take their full share.  Rather think about entry fees as a purchase.  Think what you would be willing to spend on your favourite race as a maximum.  That is the fair value to you.  For most I imagine races are still cheap relative to amount you would be willing to pay before you chose not to enter.