XT PROBLEMS!!!!

jcvwburger

Have you maybe bent your derailleur hanger??

got that checked aswell, i think i'm going back there today and fit another rear Der. i have a funny suspicion that is the problem!!!

Most of those "unsolvable" rear shifting problems are caused by bent hangers or sticky cables (but you have sorted that already).

By all means buy a new one as a spare, but often you can also bend the hanger back.

Best way is to remove the derailleur but leave the hanger on the frame. Make sure the hanger is tight on the frame. Then take another wheel, remove its quick release skewer and screw the thread of the hub into the hole in the hanger where the derailleur was removed (the thread is the same). Now you have another wheel sitting on the hanger next to your own bikes rear wheel and you can easily see if the 2 are parrallel. The hanger can now be bent carefully using the second wheel as leverage. When you have the wheels 100% parrallel, unscrew the second wheel and put the derailleur back. The result is a straight hanger.

If it does not shift perfectly, set the derailleur up from scratch. It's been messed about so much by this time that it often is simpler to start from square one.

I have ridden with xt for 3 years now. i have done the epic and many races on the same derailure.

The only thing I can suggest is learn how to set it up yourself and learn how the system works. i have never let a bike shop touch my bike. That way if there is a real probllem i know how to fix it myself. i can also judge whether the problem is parts related or cable related. Majority of time its just sticky cables or limits that aren't set properly. Cable problems can be fixed very easily by lightly oiling the cable and cleaning the housing with the oil. The housing at the derailure is usually the problem as it collects the most dust.

Maybe the lbs is the problem. :) I had a bent hanger - epic spotted it and sorted out months of poor shifting. Also try continuous cable routing - it is the only way to avoid dirt contamination of the outer. My 05 XT dual controls and rear mech still shift perfectly...

I have ridden with xt for 3 years now. i have done the epic and many races on the same derailure.

The only thing I can suggest is learn how to set it up yourself and learn how the system works. i have never let a bike shop touch my bike. That way if there is a real probllem i know how to fix it myself. i can also judge whether the problem is parts related or cable related. Majority of time its just sticky cables or limits that aren't set properly. Cable problems can be fixed very easily by lightly oiling the cable and cleaning the housing with the oil. The housing at the derailure is usually the problem as it collects the most dust.

thanx for the advice,, going to check everything today,, and c if i can make any conclusions!

Check the freehub is tight...not the cassette on the freehub, but the freehub itself.. ie. cassette isnt moving around

I'm also dealing with some issues with my XT Crank. The one arm keeps on coming off. I've fastened it a couple of times but no luck. It just keeps coming loose. I've spoken to a couple of people and apparently its common with the xt cranks. other than that there's nothing wrong with the xt components.However I like my SRAM components more on my full Suspension. works better. :)

There is luckily a cure for this. They call it SRAM

Yes just ask Andy Schleck, great shifting!drool.gif

XT is great!

i've been riding with XT since oct2007 and no problems other than when i snapped the hangar and now this weekend my bb decided to tell me to go climb a mountain... oh wait, i'd just done that... guess the bb was saying "no more!".

go to another shop - your lbs is bull%^&**&$# you