Late entries

Harry Potter

If you receive your number at the begining of the year how would you move up/down the seeding ladder which indicates your batch start. Some riders starting out are capable of improving in leaps and bounds, it would be unfair for them to wait a whole year to get resseded.

The orgs judge the sizes the groups will be by the pre entries, without indications you will have 20kh cyclists mixed with 45+ cyclists...eish.

Well the seeding system should work pretty much the same as the PPA seeding system. Do a seeding run once a month or every two months. If a rider wants to upgrade then he does so. If not, he just stays in his group.

You guys keep thinking big numbers and big races, I am talking about the normall PPA funrides.

If it is a big event where big numbers apply, then pre-entries would also apply as per normal.

If the event organizer wants to re-seed the riders and give them different numbers to use, then it is their responsibility to get those numbers to the riders, either via post, email, courier or collection at the event on the day. (If they expect us to pre-enter, I expect my number before the event, without getting into my car to collect it!)

Look at the numbers from the last couple of races, it is nothing major: (long routes)

Klein Joostenberg - 727

Durbanville High - 666

Westcoast - 840

One Tonner - 854

Tour de Worcester - 487

Those are definitely not big numbers or big groups.

Edited by Tankman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two bigges races in WC - apart from funride world champs:

Die Burger - 3363

and the 99er - 1529

It is on very rear occasion that the 1000 mark is breached

I think that races should allow a specific number of entries per race. Say the magic number is 1000, close the entries when you've got to the magic number. This encourages early entry and gives you a good indication on the logistics.

I also like being able to enter last minute, but I also understand that there is additional cost as well as a penalty component thereto. The intention is not to rip the riders off, but to rather encourage early entry.

Wording plays an important part.

Rather call the pre-entry the discounted rate, and the late entry the normal rate. The emphasis is then on rewarding early entry iso penalising late entry.

nail on the head.

it's a tax on the indecisive. you won't believe how much extra hassle race organisers go through wondering if the extra people turing up on the day are 50 or 500. If missed out on races i've pre entered before too, so if i'm going to decide on the day then i'll pay the extra if it's reasonable.

If its really steep then avoid the race but send an email to say you didn't do it because of the discrepancy.

Ok. So it seems clear that the replies, shows that we can only assume, why the extra. R100.

All entries have a closing date. So organizers should stick to that then. If it is so difficult to get extra water, medics and marshals, then why do they allow for late entries??? If it is really to accommodate cyclist witch for what ever reason could not do a pre-entry, limit it to 50, (on the fun ride route only, and only ask the fun ride fee.

To me, it is so they can make an additional buck, because they can

Ok. So it seems clear that the replies, shows that we can only assume, why the extra. R100.

All entries have a closing date. So organizers should stick to that then. If it is so difficult to get extra water, medics and marshals, then why do they allow for late entries??? If it is really to accommodate cyclist witch for what ever reason could not do a pre-entry, limit it to 50, (on the fun ride route only, and only ask the fun ride fee.

Probably right. Its just an accepted principle thats been around for years and because it is possible, organisers will do it.

Ten years ago it was a lot more difficult to arrange things as you probably had to find a telephone or send a telegram, businesses didnt work on weekends and retailers closed on a sunday. So, Yeah there was a need to plan ahead and impliment a cost to those who didnt.

Today the world has changed, and most events have a good idea of how many riders enter based on history, its unlikely all of a sudden there will be an unnoticed spike in interest in your event and you get 500 entering on the day, but even if there was (again I stress its unlikely) but I doubt theres anything today that cant be arranged today on short notice.

However because they have implimented this cost for the last 10 years, they will continue to do so, even if its unnecessary.

Okay but what about this Nissan mtb Van Gaalen on the 13th Nov, entries closed on-line on the 7th Nov, today at FPC (the 9th) I entered at the registration desk and get charged R170 + R50 'late entry'. And it's cash only. I couldn't really care about not getting the goody bag because of the low of all lows 'Late Entry', but really.. R50 extra on top of R170 for what?

Okay but what about this Nissan mtb Van Gaalen on the 13th Nov, entries closed on-line on the 7th Nov, today at FPC (the 9th) I entered at the registration desk and get charged R170 + R50 'late entry'. And it's cash only. I couldn't really care about not getting the goody bag because of the low of all lows 'Late Entry', but really.. R50 extra on top of R170 for what?

For being late thats what !Its a penalty to discourage late entries

Although I feel its a bit harsh at registration.

On the day of the event I fully agree with it as a race organiser

They are trying to discourage late entries. They should rather not allow late entries.

Why?

As long as they limit the number to their capacity (water, group sizes, etc) it allows disorganized people to ride a race they might have missed & makes the organisers more money.

Why?

As long as they limit the number to their capacity (water, group sizes, etc) it allows disorganized people to ride a race they might have missed & makes the organisers more money.

Spot on and fair I would think.

Late entry fee on the event day, fine, justifiable: four days before the event, nooit we're getting fleeced.

And what about those who cant enter on-line, maybe they don't have a credit card or even bank account, now they are forced to pay the extra at registration, days before the event. That's not really fair is it?

It's ridiculous and makes no sense at all. Last minute hotel rooms are cheaper, last minute flights are cheaper, why not last minute race entries. Every race organiser wants to brag about their numbers and the size of their race - why not make it easy for spontaneous folks who decide the night before (or the morning of) the race to join in the fun?

Other folks - like me spend heaps of time travelling and can't, for business reasons, plan races too far in advance!!

It's ridiculous and makes no sense at all. Last minute hotel rooms are cheaper, last minute flights are cheaper, why not last minute race entries. Every race organiser wants to brag about their numbers and the size of their race - why not make it easy for spontaneous folks who decide the night before (or the morning of) the race to join in the fun?

Other folks - like me spend heaps of time travelling and can't, for business reasons, plan races too far in advance!!

How would a race organizer know how many people to expect? He could thumbsuck that it could be around 1000. What if 2000 turn up? What if it rains and nobody comes?

Feniks = nail on the head!!

It's got nothing to do with trying to organise extra this or that...I've organised a couple of races and let me tell you...it's a fair amount of guesswork BEFOREHAND...on the day there is no time to go and collect extra water /coke / race numbers whatever...

So, yes, the extra bucks are to discourage everyone from entering late...admin is there already! If 100 or 1000 late entries suddenly rock up - it's chaos!! No extra admin peeps are on standby just in case...