Northern Farms - attempted murder

Scooterza

Hi Folks

I have been asked to post the following account of an attempted bike jacking that happened to Julian Damstra recently:

I am fortunate to be alive after yet another hijacking incidence I have had the misfortune to be caught up in. I was riding at Northern Farm on Sunday afternoon and one of two thugs tried to shot me but the pistol must have jammed or something. I was riding anticlockwise around the farm (route marked in yellow).

I crossed the Fish Eagle Dam wall and was crossing the spill way (marked by a blue flag). At the last moment I had decided to bomb through the water when two guys jumped out from the reeds in the spill way. I saw a gun and heard a “click”.

These guys did not shout or run after me. I sped away as fast as I could not knowing if they would shoot again. What was fortunate for me was that they did not stand in the path and stop me directly with their pistol, thank God.

A number of years ago I was attacked next to the Lion Park by a “organised gang”. They had one guy ahead on the path who stopped our 1st rider with a gun. When the rest of us turned (three bikes) two guys jumped out from their hiding place next to the path, a number of meters before the guy with the gun. They pulled two riders off their bikes behind me. I was fortunate to be the one to keep my then very cheap (est) Avalanche MTB.

This last Sunday it felt as if they just wanted to kill me for my bike. They did not seem to have any other accomplices ahead of me unless I choose a route they did not expect. I am sickened by the thought of the shear cold bloodedness of the attack. By the time I reached the subway at the car park my chain broke!

I am very encouraged by all the support I have received from the biking community and others. Thank you. Learnings: ensure your bike is insured, register on eBlockwatch and carry some form of self defence (pepper spray) just in case you do have a chance to fight back (seriously not recommended).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats it, Im done with NF, rode there just two weekends ago, thought it was al sorted.

Not going there soon again, very unfortunate for the comunities who benefit from this but it is not going to be at the cost of a life.

Guest eyecandy

OMG...so sorry u had to go thru that...TWICE :o

glad u still here!

I wont b going back there, thats for sure :(

@ eyecandy - are we now safer on the spruit?

I have a training partner with a fondness for tequila so I end up riding alone most weekends. Used to got out to NF by myself all the time.

isn't there some bos bef*ked ex recce out there that wants to go ride there on a weekend afternoon, complete with glock and spade? I'll sponsor his entrance fee!

I ride there most weekends by myself and I was also under the impression that they had cleaned up their act. I know it is a big piece of property and the lads on the quads cannot be everywhere but something must be done because it is very popular. I was concerned 2-3 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon to find the lads on the quads sitting chatting at the main gate, not suprising they still have these issues. When did this take place, a week ago, 2 maybe 3 or longer. If it was in the last month they will not see me there ever again. What makes Teek Place supposedly safe? Just my 2c.

As a preventative measure, we have arranged an additional guard from RSS from this weekend onwards and will place him on the road leading to the fish eagle dam.

We have also arranged an additional quad bike patrol in that area in the afternoons.

We are also doing investigations with the security company. If we all stop riding there then these guys would have won. I think with any area you always need to be vigilant and unfortunately unless we fence the whole farm, which is impossible due to cost, we just need to be aware and not try to ride alone anywhere on or off the farm.

Let's continue to support each other and support the farm so that we can continue to keep the development project running and make a difference in South Africa - your contribution to the LEAD SA initiative.

Edited by ianhoy

Thanx Ian. please clarify though. I often see pedestrians walking through the reserve. Not your standard twitcher type, more like your unemployed gardener type (I hope that that is PC :)) I understand that there are people that live on the farm and that they have domestics etc. How do the security guys differentiate. It would be a good start to identify and limit casual access. I also accept that this is not up to NFRUG but by now NF mamagement or even management should be concerned!

Edited by TiBones

Thats it, Im done with NF, rode there just two weekends ago, thought it was al sorted.

Not going there soon again, very unfortunate for the comunities who benefit from this but it is not going to be at the cost of a life.

Yup,

I must agree, things are just impossible to sort out there due to its openness and free access. Drugs guns and alcohol are all to freely available to these predators.

I often ride alone and/or with my Family(2 kids 10 and 1 years old) and I will not risk their lives any more. :thumbdown:

As a preventative measure, we have arranged an additional guard from RSS from this weekend onwards and will place him on the road leading to the fish eagle dam.

We have also arranged an additional quad bike patrol in that area in the afternoons.

We are also doing investigations with the security company. If we all stop riding there then these guys would have won. I think with any area you always need to be vigilant and unfortunately unless we fence the whole farm, which is impossible due to cost, we just need to be aware and not try to ride alone anywhere on or off the farm.

Let's continue to support each other and support the farm so that we can continue to keep the development project running and make a difference in South Africa - your contribution to the LEAD SA initiative.

Awsome Ian. More measures will result in the continued success and pleasure of riding at NF. Thanks for the prompt reaction and determination to sort this issue out.

Sorry right now the risk (loss of life) far outweighs the gain (lead SA?) :(

the predators roaming there dont care, there are no real consequences for them, they have nothing to lose... I do.

Edited by Rude