More drawing pins at the Cradle this morning

GuyP

So where do you draw the line? It is illegal to ride two abreast. Period.

Just because lunatics speed in their cars or on their motor cycles doesn't make it right for cyclists to ride two three and sometimes even four abreast.

You say that motorists must be patient, but why should they be if cyclists are breaking the law? :unsure:

You talk of compromise. The only compromise is for everyone to obey the rules. Unfortunately, nothing will be done until our rather useless police force actually do something about corruption and put an end to bribery, and they start doing their jobs properly.

Oh and Krutch, lycraloon says "welcome to his world, now go back to your car forum." :P

Is one cyclist allowed to overtake another? Then they would be 2 abreast. I have seen trucks overtake each other, takes a while but I am sure it is legal

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all the helmets fault me thinks. Cyclists are normal sane people..... most of them that I have met....... but when they put their helmets on the Hyde part of their creepy character takes over. The become lawbreaking cussing handsignswinging bad examples of mankind thinking they own the road peoples!!!!!

Come to think of it you can say the same of bikers..... and the common denominator??????

Law should be made where a license MUST be dispalyed on every bicycle with name address and licence number. Maybe it is the warped "freedom" and lack of identification they have that makes them react the way they do...... I know ..... I have my own "dark" side once on a bicycle!!!!!!!!

And how is that going to help? Drive down William Nicol on a sunday and you will see every second BMW with the back numberplate removed. Motorists still drive badly even with both numberplates. Oh, sorry, I forgot - you in Nigeria and not SA.

this is funny - 1 week before 94.7, if you drive around the Cradle I'm sure you can find pictures of dumb cyclists riding 3/4/5 abreast.

These pictures look more like cyclists behaving 'well'

Just because lunatics speed in their cars or on their motor cycles doesn't make it right for cyclists to ride two three and sometimes even four abreast.

You say that motorists must be patient, but why should they be if cyclists are breaking the law? :unsure:

You talk of compromise. The only compromise is for everyone to obey the rules. Unfortunately, nothing will be done until our rather useless police force actually do something about corruption and put an end to bribery, and they start doing their jobs properly.

Oh and Krutch, lycraloon says "welcome to his world, now go back to your car forum." :P

Actually two abreast is not illegal, although a friend who is head of ministry for Western Cape Transport tells me the law (at least for us Capies) may soon change to prohibit 2 abreast in most situations. The new law will be proposed hand in hand with another dictating a mandatory 1.5m passing distance for cars overtaking cyclists.

That said the photos I saw on the other Cradle thread were not 2 abreast, more like 4, 5, 6 abreast, or perhaps, to use a term borrowed from physics, Brownian Motion is a better description.

Edited by Luke.

And how is that going to help? Drive down William Nicol on a sunday and you will see every second BMW with the back numberplate removed. Motorists still drive badly even with both numberplates. Oh, sorry, I forgot - you in Nigeria and not SA.

Ya maybe you are right...... BMW owners and cyclists are very much the same.....

Yes, yes , I know its illegal, but... if I'm riding with 10 other people on a quiet road..I'm gonna take it easy, ride 3 abreast and relax. But... I also look behind often, and check for approaching cars, and take the necessary action if a car approaches.

(Note:its only illegal if you get caught :D )

I think there is an invisible "switch" built into the chamois of our cycling pants, and into the lining of our helmets. No matter who it is, Docter, Lawyer, MD, CEO, no matter who, the moment they pull the lycra on, put the helmets on, and place their backsides on the saddle of a bicycle, the "switch" activates and switches their brains (or at least rational thinking part)off. They then become invincible and tougher than Chuck Norris, no car or truck, no matter how big, can do them any harm.

Show them the error of their ways and you get abused and fingers waved at you.

Edited by Wannabe

Is one cyclist allowed to overtake another? Then they would be 2 abreast. I have seen trucks overtake each other, takes a while but I am sure it is legal

Legally, one cyclist may only ride next to another while overtaking. Imagine of motorists decided to ride two abreast on a two way roadway and you were coming in the opposite direction. Would it be safe to say you'd be :angry: ?

Hell I get angry with every dumb@ss schmuck who overtakes in his /her car when clearly they can see me on my bike coming from the opposite direction. :angry:

The rules of the road are there for the protection and safety of all. They are there because without them, people are just to dumb to exercise a little bit of intelligence and self restraint.

Anarchy is what happens when law fails and I think this is a prime example of a situation close to anarchy. One group does something (tack son the road) and another wants revenge (find them and beat them). Or the other side of the coin, One group abuses the road by taking over the place and the other extractes revenge by putting tacks on the road....

Like I said yesterday, it would never be a "hubber" because we are all squeaky clean and would never break the law. We all ride single file on all of our rides and never exceed the speed limit. ;)

It can only be the weekend warriors training for 94.7 in which case, by next week it's all over, and everyone will be happy because all these bikes will be parked until next year when they get dusted off for the next one. :)

SA law also says you can ride 2 abreast, it also says a car can't pass you closer than within 1m

From PPA site

4.4 Cyclists may ride two or more abreast, provided that they do not impede the flow of traffic unreasonably.

7. Every cyclist shall keep as far to the left of the road surface as is safe having regard to the circumstances and conditions, including the need to take a lane when appropriate.

Taking a lane means taking a proper position in the lane as a car would

Oooo, wanna see fun with trucks overtaking. On the N1 N, just after Maraisburg. those motorists are a laugh. Fat red faces, fingers, hooters... :clap: :clap:

Classic.

I said it in the ''carnage in the cradle'' post but Ill say it again

Its all as a result of everyone disrespecting each other, cyclists do what they like, motorists do what they like.

Until people learn to respect one another and uphold the laws then you gonna have this prob for the rest of time.

agree 100%

i was also advised by the ppa to demand your space on the road ie don't be squeezed up against the left

of the road/gutter when cycling on public roads with lots of vehicles. well , i won't take that chance

i will rather be as far left as possible than stick my ass into passing traffic.

Actually two abreast is not illegal,

According to every source I have read on bicycles, it is....

For one thing, (if a cyclist is capable of thinking), consider the speed differential. Maybe a bike can do say 60 down a steep hill, but a car is doing maybe 80 to 120 depending on where this happens. For this reason alone, I never ride on a freeway even if it's not illegal. The speed differential is too great. Going up a hill, the speed differential is greater.

Therefore, when I ride, I ride further left the slower I'm going. (On the law of averages, I should soon be a MTB rider because I'm just getting slower as I get older. :lol: )

That said the photos I saw on the other Cradle thread were not 2 abreast, more like 4, 5, 6 abreast, or perhaps, to use a term borrowed from physics, Brownian Motion is a better description.

Very good description of a bunch of arrgant dickheads on bicycles.

We also tend to forget that it doesn't make a huge difference if a cyclist is in the "right" in an accident with a car. He will always comeof second best in a two horse race.

Surely this is incentive enough to be extra careful instead of being an extra ********. :unsure:

Don't know, maybe I am just a poefter roadie who is just too scared to push the envelope. :blink:

Rather a live coward than a "flat (read as dead) hero".

I once had a training ride in the cradle thanks to some planning by a fellow hubber. If ever invited for another, it is not the drawing pins that would keep me away. I just don't need that extra amount of worry that some irate motorist s going to ram me from behind because of some arrogant behaviour from a fellow "cyclists".

From PPA site

4.4 Cyclists may ride two or more abreast, provided that they do not impede the flow of traffic unreasonably.

7. Every cyclist shall keep as far to the left of the road surface as is safe having regard to the circumstances and conditions, including the need to take a lane when appropriate.

Taking a lane means taking a proper position in the lane as a car would

Exactly!