do I need a wetsuit for IM

rudi-h

The Break said it, under a certain temp and it's compulsory to swim with a wetsuit.

This year at Ironman the water was freezing on the Saturday and warm on the Sunday so it can change quit quickly.

You can also pick up some very good Wetsuits for just more than R2000.00 like the Orca s3.

Check out this website and contact them for some very good prices.

www.sportbru.co.za

You will seriously reap the rewards of a wetsuit... I'm not a good swimmer at all, but having a wetsuit gave me a bit of a mental push, and it seriously helps with keeping your legs boyant (saves you from using your abs to kept your legs straight - more efficient, think speedboat)...

I got mine for R1.2k, an entry level ORCA S2 - apparently a very very very good entry level wetsuit... I figured i swim poef anyways, so not gona spend thousands on a super duper wetsuit - not gona help me that much. I've used it for numerous events including x2 70.3 and x1 full IM, works brilliantly!!!

But get one, you won't regret it at all...

a wetsuit = 10 seconds per 100m so on the 70.3 that would equate to about 3 minutes that you gain in terms of speed so not much difference for the average triathlete, it does make a huge difference in terms of comfort in really cold water! cold water is strange in that in a sprint race you would probably swim faster in cold water than warmer water but on longer swims ie ironman were hypothermia can play a role a wetsuit is almost a must have.you are only allowed to use a wetsuit in water temps under 21 deg c for swims upto 2000m my personal opinion is a wetsuit cannot make up for lack of swim training!! you wont win a triathlon on the swim but you could loose it on the swim

R3 grand to save 5 minutes?There's my answer.

This is where you make the mistake. It is 5 minutes in the water yes, but then 30 minutes on the bike (due to extra energy) and then another 30 minutes on the run. (these are obviously thumbsucks, but I'm trying to prove a point.

I'm all for going minimalistic when trying out a new sport, but then do a minimalistic race like a tri sprint. IM is another animal. When you start hiking, your old running Nike's will be fine to climb up table mountain, but it wil not get you to the top of Kilimanjaro...

Check this out for R1800 (I'm not any part of this website, but buy all my stuff from them being CT based)

http://www.fluidlines.co.za/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=39&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55

Edited by gadget

Just remember that it's not as simple as saying R3k for a 5 minute faster swim. The energy you save in the water, both as a result of staying warmer and the increased buoyancy, will save you time on your cycle and your run.

It's just like a time trial bike. It might only save you 5 minutes on the cycle, but it'll save you 10 minutes on the run because of the save in energy in your running muscles.

So there's a lot more to think about, it's more complicated than such a basic approach.

Nobody said it was easy :P

So there's a lot more to think about, it's more complicated than such a basic approach.

I agree, but people seem to lose sight of the fact that he's doing it to finish and not really going to use the suit afterwards. I'm a little cautious of the money that gets spent in this sport, not all of it is justified.

ps. found a chick yet? :thumbup:

bwahaha!!!

So, Punt... Have you?

topic-focused now...

I'm firmly in the wetsuit camp. Just for the fact that it provides much-needed comfort and buoyancy in colder waters, and helps retain much-needed energy for later activities. Fact is, you can stay in cold water for much longer with a suit on, and go for much longer afterwards, no matter the subsequent activity. Plop in some cold water for the same period without a wetsuit, and you'll feel the effects for a long time afterwards. Your body will be consuming more calories to get your core temp back up to where it should be, thereby prevent your body from giving the level of performance & efficiency that you need in order to do well, or ENJOY an event.

Plus, on a lighter note, you'll look a lot more dedicated and prepared for the event. Also, it's better to have it and not need it than wish you had it...

Get a wetsuit, that water is not that hot...and 40 minutes in that will drain you!

We do also get blue bottles here from time to time. That could really ruin a day.

it would appear not, I think surf ones are from neoprene? are they scared reef and billabong would take their market share?

how many people do ironman pe in a speedo?

What are the current legal swimwear/speedsuits?Effective September 1, 2010, all swimwear/speedsuits at Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events MUST be comprised of 100% textile material such as nylon or lycra and may not include rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. Swimwear/speedsuits may NOT cover the neck or extend past the shoulders or knees. Swimwear/speedsuits may contain a zipper. A race kit or trisuit may be worn underneath swimwear/speedsuits

Originally from: http://ironman.com/faq/rulesfaq#ixzz16BwB1Zz4

A surf wetsuit can be used. The reference above is for a speedsuit or swim suite which is not the same as a wetsuit or trisuit. The speed suites are what you would see on the olympic swimmers and are purely aimed at speed and rear end boyancy. Wetsuits serve as thermal insulators for the most part of their application.

Get a wetsuit, that water is not that hot...and 40 minutes in that will drain you!

More like 60-120min for the IM. :)

cptmayhem summed it up nicely.

Another way to justify the purpose of purchasing a wetsuit, is are you planning on doing triathlons after the IM? It's one of those pieces of equipment that once you have it, and you take good care of it, it will last a long time.

You don't need a top of the line wetsuit, just something to keep you warm. I started out with a shorty, i.e. above knees and sleeveless, but have since upgraded to full wetsuit, but I use it in training and about 6 races a year.

The obvious benefits, is warmth and bouyancy. And you never know what the water temperature is going to be like come race day, and if after a big rainfall the temp drops just enough that you can't compete or finish the swim comfortable, you're essentially wasting all the hours spent training for this race.

So in short, if it was just a sprint or olympic distance, and maybe even a half, I would say it's not necessary, but for IM it's definitely a good piece of equipment to have, even if it's just for peace of mind.