Swift01

Definition of the words "Brand New"  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Definition of the words "Brand New" when you buy something on the Hub

• Does it mean Brand New, never been used still in the box
    • Does it mean Brand New, came off a brand new bike BUT never been used
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it for 5km
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it for 100km
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it scratched it, worn the one part out but it's ok to sell it as Brand New?

Probably one of the first two, but I have seen some secondhand brandnew bikes in my life. I supose it depends on the seller.

The perception of the seller is always different to that of the buyer.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jis pappie, dis 'n goeie een :thumbup:

Jy bedoel seker "papa"...

Daai manne wat so praat van die search function het 'n ding beet...

i know this forums' software allows for a reputation button, where posts can be repped up or down, and the posters rep tally moves accordingly. The thing i would like to see, is if this can be applied exclusively to the Classifieds sections only. Otherwise rep scores can be made up just from posting crap that some think is rep-worthy :P

Admin: any idea if my request is possible? oh and can the list of emoticons be increased. I know there are more, way more! :P

I have asked Admin for some advice and if they are willing to setup something to help people being warned about certain sellers/buyers etc.

As for the "The perception of the seller is always different to that of the buyer" in some cases this is true, but when you get a part that you have to straight away put into the bin then they took it too far. I would have ignored the scratches but a new rotor is R400. It changes the whole deal. He was just trying to off load his old used parts in a dishonest manner. I even spoke to him on the phone and he confirmed they were brand new from a new bike.

I have asked Admin for some advice and if they are willing to setup something to help people being warned about certain sellers/buyers etc.

As for the "The perception of the seller is always different to that of the buyer" in some cases this is true, but when you get a part that you have to straight away put into the bin then they took it too far. I would have ignored the scratches but a new rotor is R400. It changes the whole deal. He was just trying to off load his old used parts in a dishonest manner. I even spoke to him on the phone and he confirmed they were brand new from a new bike.

Unfortunately there are some people out there who have no problem sleeping at night... That is where the rating would be good.

Unfortunately you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is nothing stopping him from sending you a photo of new stuff and sending you old cr@p! That just sucks. :angry:

We need to know who these idiots are.

The calipers as displayed in the picture by stratus5 on page 3 is definitely NOT the same as those displayed by Swift01 on page 2 (different finish and colour)

In my opinion, that is nothing less than FRAUD !!

I agree with Grebel, you might as well mention his name since anybody that can use the search button will find the culprit. You gave him chance to rectify the problem as well as give his side of the story and nada...

He is also selling other goods, so you could save someone some tears.

I see the same dude sold a frame this morning... He changed his username too...

Is that not what the scammers post at beginning of the classified section is for?

Kind of sort of...

Think it should definitely be utilised more regularly...

Also those purchases which went well and both parties were happy - should be noted...

@Thug those are the correct Photo's they are a different colour either side of the calipers, so it depends on what side you look at. He was clever in his photo.

I have a response from Admin

Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry to hear of this unfortunate situation.

While these make up a small percentage of transactions, it's certainly something we're looking to stop (or at least minimise as far as possible).

We're currently developing a revamped classifieds section, with one of the key new features being "Trader Rating and Feedback". This will allow buyers and sellers to rate each other and provide comments (positive or negative) following a sale. This rating will be very visible on the item listing so buyers will have a bit more info at hand to assess the sale.

While this will help to a large degree, it's still not a perfect solution as ultimately someone has to provide negative feedback (i.e. experience a bad sale) before others will know about it. However, we hope that users will be able to make a more informed decision and better understand the risks (e.g. with a new / unrated seller) and thus minimise cases like this.

For now, I'd suggest first contacting the seller to negotiate a refund (although given your message I'm sure you've tried this route already). The next option would be to name and shame - you could simply start a new thread in the General Notices forum for this.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.

Kind Regards,

We have to take a stance here. Bring the devil into the light! :devil:

hahahaha... and now he changed his name on his profile to boris bekker... :lol: what a roach!

and he was reading this thread... profile views are so cool :thumbup:

Edited by MariusL

As per the the request I will start a new topic about him to name and shame. I will also insert him into the scammers section as it is clear that he does not wish to respond at all.

The brakes are brand new and as i said to the buyer on the phone the one rotor was slightly used but i think his technical knowledge is limited.

the scrathes on the caliper were not there when i posted them,possibly damaged by the postal service??

you got them for a bargain price,i think you just want your money back because you changed your mind!