Vigne-a-vigne

Carmichael

great......................... its 0825507751, i'm in Claremont,

Sorry to do this,

But i'm feeling a lot better today, and will have to wait until tomorrow to make a decision...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to do this,

But i'm feeling a lot better today, and will have to wait until tomorrow to make a decision...

Hi all still looking, I'm on 0825507751

still waiting for results from last year, personally its a rip off of a race, race entry is expensive for what you get, and no results or even a reply when you email them.

Race is a bit expensive, however today it was well marked, good marshalling and the organization was decent. Considering Lourensford is not usually rideable, I personally thought it was worth it.

Race is a bit expensive, however today it was well marked, good marshalling and the organization was decent. Considering Lourensford is not usually rideable, I personally thought it was worth it.

+1

and in terms of results, unless you were in it to win it results dont matter it doesnt help with any seeding.

one balls up was the long lines for the single tracks but that was expected....

BasinMTB.com club rides here every Saturday and Sunday, and also Thursday night rides. You can pitch up for R40 per ride but you have to stay with at least 2 other riders, one of which should know the farm, or just stay with the group.

A seeded/staggered start would have made a huge difference... I arrived late (my fault) and could get nowhere for the first 5km's. After that I just hated the ride overall and heard many ppl who shared that feeling - my view is that it's very easy to make a ride hard (just send you up every climb available as they did), but that definitely doesn't make it enjoyable. There was absolutely no "flow" to the route and you were never able to get any kind of rhythm going. Just include a few short flat sections in the first half to cover some distance and don't put hairpin bends at the bottom of every single reasonably fast section and it could be a very good ride. I ended up walking at one stage just because I got bored of climbing the whole time and my head just wasn't in it at all...

A seeded/staggered start would have made a huge difference... I arrived late (my fault) and could get nowhere for the first 5km's. After that I just hated the ride overall and heard many ppl who shared that feeling - my view is that it's very easy to make a ride hard (just send you up every climb available as they did), but that definitely doesn't make it enjoyable. There was absolutely no "flow" to the route and you were never able to get any kind of rhythm going. Just include a few short flat sections in the first half to cover some distance and don't put hairpin bends at the bottom of every single reasonably fast section and it could be a very good ride. I ended up walking at one stage just because I got bored of climbing the whole time and my head just wasn't in it at all...

But this is mountain biking, and mountains require climbing. I enjoyed the climbing and the route was much more fun than the ArgusMTB. The large amounts of singletrack did mean I lost a lot of time stuck behind snails, I would prefer a bigger climb at the start and some less singletrack, but it was still a great route. And believe me there is a lot more climbing that they could have added on that farm.

Edited by Berg Bok

I really enjoyed it!

The singletrack was amazing, the climbs were hard, rocky and long.

Crashed on 15km, went into cardiac arrest according to my Garmin, then had some gear issues, and lost my mix on 1hr.

But had fun! 1st long mtb event down!

But this is mountain biking, and mountains require climbing. I enjoyed the climbing and the route was much more fun than the ArgusMTB. The large amounts of singletrack did mean I lost a lot of time stuck behind snails, I would prefer a bigger climb at the start and some less singletrack, but it was still a great route. And believe me there is a lot more climbing that they could have added on that farm.

I expect climbing (normally lots of it), but at least mix it up a bit with a few faster sections to keep it interesting - 2+ hours of climbing (before the last few faster km's) is very tedious... Didn't do the Argus MTB so can't comment on that one (did a trail run that weekend which involved running up table mountain 3 times at night - there were flat sections in the middle so it was VERY interesting! :D )

I expect climbing (normally lots of it), but at least mix it up a bit with a few faster sections to keep it interesting - 2+ hours of climbing (before the last few faster km's) is very tedious... Didn't do the Argus MTB so can't comment on that one (did a trail run that weekend which involved running up table mountain 3 times at night - there were flat sections in the middle so it was VERY interesting! :D )

There were fast downhill sections, but relative to the amount of time spent climbing, they were insignificant!

What awesomely beautiful scenery and the singletrack was 10/10 (lucky enough to not get stuck behind others too often).

There were fast downhill sections, but relative to the amount of time spent climbing, they were insignificant!

What awesomely beautiful scenery and the singletrack was 10/10 (lucky enough to not get stuck behind others too often).

Of the last 15km 10 of them must have been down, at least.