NCR: Vibram Five Finger Shoes

HowellingWulf

'sup Hubbers.

Have any of you tried these? They look mighty strange and comfy. Thinking of getting a pair for the December holidays and for after cycling. There is a long list of reasons why you should wear them, I'm not sure if it is all propaganda ala Powerbalance. I've read a couple of online reviews, I'm interested in a honest, no holds barred opinion - not the sales talk. Let me know .

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

post-7306-0-33483900-1292304876.jpg

Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

speak to dangle, RIcky i know he runs with them! i saw a guy at a trail run race once that did a 21km trail run in them and he says its the best thing ever!

Edited by Face Plant

I'm sure Dangle will be able to tell you more. :thumbup:

I had a look at them at an outdoor shop around here the other day. Prices not too bad...around R1800-00 me thinks.

You have to "phase" them in over a certain period of time. you're bound to get a lt of stares wearing those in public I guess, but dont all racecar drivers love that? :lol:

I ran with someone who has started wearing them recently, and she loves them. She has suffered with knee problems for some time, but seems to be a bit better off with the fivefingers on. They do look odd, but then so do compression socks!

Guest agteros

Are there perhaps Lycra wearers amongst those who laugh at the Vibram Five Fingers...?

Somebody recently told me about a book they read re. the natural dynamics of running, and what crucial role the arc of your foot (acts as a elastic curved beam) plays in the whole process. Apparently, according to the book, running shoes, which supports your arc instead of allowing it to flex "as per design", negates the effect and actually screws up the whole dynamic.. Or something like that. Don’t quote me on this, but it seems vaguely plausible, so who knows, maybe these are on to something..

If you wear that I will point and laugh.

+ 1

Don't know how many of you subscribe to Runnersworld, but when someone, tested the Vibrams, they reported on it. I killed myself laughing.

Having a chuckle at the pic of those already, needless to say I would like to try them out.

If i were you i have a look at the INOV-8 brand... very light, awesome shoe and they have a recovery shoe as well - recolite 190...!

The best and lightest natural minimalist trailrunning shoe in the world!

www.inov-8.com

Guest agteros

Somebody recently told me about a book they read re. the natural dynamics of running, and what crucial role the arc of your foot (acts as a elastic curved beam) plays in the whole process. Apparently, according to the book, running shoes, which supports your arc instead of allowing it to flex "as per design", negates the effect and actually screws up the whole dynamic.. Or something like that. Don’t quote me on this, but it seems vaguely plausible, so who knows, maybe these are on to something..

Barefoot running has become quite big in the running world. Obviously most of us have soft feet from being ensconced in shoes all day long, never mind the harsh, artificial surfaces strewn with sharp objects we use for running , so minimalistic shoes, and then the Vibram Five Fingers are actually making huge inroads.

It forces you to run naturally again, with a midfoot/forefoot strike and not to dig your heels in on every step.

I have wanted a pair for a few months now, and wud also love an honest opinion, though I don't intend running in them. And the new designs on the website look so much better than the multicolour ones that were available until not so long ago.