Bike commuting and Gautrain

I FLY

What about leaving a bike locked up in the station carpark? I'm talking about a pretty cheap bike, or a very insured bike!! Like I would leave on in sandton and use it very second evening. But it would basically spend most of it's life at the station. This is defiantly happening in euroup. Who is selling a bike

cheap??

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you take bikes onto the train on weekends? I'm thinking of riding up to Rosebank Station, train to Pretoria and then a short hop and skip to do a bit of Groenkloof Trails.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cajees (no idea on spelling sorry) are selling that folud up for for about R4000.

They are not too bad to ride but are fairly horrible to carry. I have not tried to carry it in the bag maybe that makes it better.

Chatted to a guy this morning on the train who had one of these. R3200 apparently. It has a 50 at the front and 6 gears at the back (biggest one 21 teeth). Sounds like it's a pure commuter (read: big first world city) bike so doesn't really cater for the hills. Weighs 12kg so it's pretty heavy and bulky.

• 1 month later...

Can you take bikes onto the train on weekends? I'm thinking of riding up to Rosebank Station, train to Pretoria and then a short hop and skip to do a bit of Groenkloof Trails.

Pretty keen to try this myself did you manage to do this?

It is not a good time of the year to judge but this morning I was the only person in the commuter carriages.

Now that you've been doing this for almost a year and through winter, what are your thoughts on Gautrain bike commuting? Do you still take your bike bag on with no issues? What's the space like in a full carriage?

Pretty keen to try this myself did you manage to do this?

Fat chance! They wont even allow you to take a take-away Coffee past the gates, seriously annal about their rulez

seriously annal about their rulez

Thank god they are. Can you imagine what those trains would look like if they weren't?

Thank god they are. Can you imagine what those trains would look like if they weren't?

But (some of) their rules are silly and feeble.

But (some of) their rules are silly and feeble.

Like some a lot most of their train users.

I see the way my fellow souf effrikans treat their own property, IU have no doubt they'd f&^k up that train in two days flat.

Yes, the middle to upper class wankers that can afford it. I've seen their cars and inside their houses. They're complete slobs.

Commuter bike either side, it's the answer and recon the stations are fairly safe. Next problem are the hills between my house and the station.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that you've been doing this for almost a year and through winter, what are your thoughts on Gautrain bike commuting? Do you still take your bike bag on with no issues? What's the space like in a full carriage?

My feedback:-

1. Weather - riding through winter was not as big an issue as I had anticipated - decent lights ( I have magicsahine lights front and back) and clothes ( decent jacket, gloves, ear and knee warmers) are a must though. The worst morning was in July when I experienced cold, dark, wind and rain. But even then my Gore jacket kept me dry and warm. Only on one occasion was the rain hard enough for me to stand at a petrol station and wait for it to stop.

2. Bike Issues on Gautrain - absolutely none. All the train guards look out for me and talk to me. The taxi drivers outside the Sandton station know me by name.

3. The commuter carriages running to airport at 7h24 and to Sandton at 17h00 are still not well used so I have no problems putting my bike across a door.

4. By the end of Dec I will have clocked up about 7500kms on the Gautrain and the same on my commuter bike. I have had one delay on the train and had 4 punctures on my bike.

• 1 month later...

I have just had my commuter SS bike serviced for the 1st time after a year of commuting.

I had to replace:-

1 x set of brake pads ( front and back)

1 x chain

1 x rear socket

1 x headset

During the year I replaced

3 x tyres ( two because of sidewall cuts)

1 x rim

1 x rear hub

1 x set of grips

Considering that I drove my car 15 000kms less than normally I think that I got a good deal :clap:

• 1 month later...

So I did the Gautrain thing this morning from Pretoria to Midrand, told the guy at the counter Im new and he needs to tell me what I need. Bought my Gold Card and boarded the train, 17min later I was in Midrand.

If only the CHOP at Pretoria station told me the busses wernt working yet... The striking bus drivers STIL not working!!!... So there I was at Midrand station with my bike safly locked up at home(in Pta) and no busses running.

Had to call my one techie to come pick me up on his way to the office. Will try it again though, with my bike!

Archived