Futurelife Cereal

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These links only point to articles about foods that have been modified to include a pesticide. The one study found "

The 90-day-long tests are insufficient to evaluate chronic toxicity, and the signs highlighted in the kidneys and livers could be the onset of chronic diseases."

Hardly a convincing argument: "It is realistic to say that in the present day standards, it is impossible to monitor what some of the chemicals in GM foods will do to our bodies as they build up over time, because many feel that not enough research has gone into this field."

And lastly: "Should the research survive scientific scrutiny -- a serious hurdle -- it could prove a game changer in many fields. It would mean that we're eating not just vitamins, protein, and fuel, but gene regulators as well."

There is nothing concrete listed in those links, and much like cell phone base stations, this seems very much like a 1st world problem.

Edited by Velouria

I have no problem with GM foods. Love the taste and performance of Futurelife and will continue using it and other GM products. No-one cares about my glow-in-the-dark goatee after all...

I have no problem with GM foods. Love the taste and performance of Futurelife and will continue using it and other GM products. No-one cares about my glow-in-the-dark goatee after all...

Ok I don't have the goatee but I'm ok with GM foods. Personally I think GM foods is one of those paranoia phrases that most people have a knee jerk reaction to without really thinking about it. Like I said - seedless grapes are loved by one and all....

FutureLife were in the process of modifying their packaging, and will reflect the GM ingredients.

Yes, but not out of the goodness of their hearts. There is legislation pending which will compel all packaging in SA to carry this information.

That is my question too - what makes GM foods "bad". We all wolf down seedless grapes without fear or concern - why is GM maize and soy a problem?

For me, the problem with GM foods is not the food itself, although the nutritional content may be altered from the natural state.

For the problem is a massive socio-economic one. The same flavour that got the #OWS crowd all steamed up, and the same flavour as the comments made by a certain ex VP of Goldman Sachs in an op-ed piece in the times.

It's all about greed.

Here's an example:

Percy Schmeiser is a farmer from Bruno, Saskatchewan Canada whose Canola fields were contaminated with Mohttp://www.percyschmeiser.com/images/Percy%20Field4small.jpgnsanto's Round-Up Ready Canola. Monsanto's position was that it didn't matter whether Schmeiser knew or not that his canola field was contaminated with the Roundup Ready gene, or whether or not he took advantage of the technology (he didn't); that he must pay Monsanto their Technology Fee of $15./acre. The Supreme Court of Canada agreed with Schmeiser, ruling that he didn't have to pay Monsanto anything.. ....

http://www.percyschmeiser.com/conflict.htm

There are drought resistant crops available, the kind of mielies you could grow in the Sahara, but at $15/acre (in 2000) as a yearly license fee? How we gonna feed all the humans?

So, for me, I am anti GM foods, because I don't support some corporation dictating who gets to eat and who doesn't.

I v been using it only On training and race days and does me good. Tastes ok ish .I mix it with oats + pro nutro , sorts

You out .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

In response to the question of how healthy this cereal is for you I would also be concerned with the soy and GM aspects of it, but what I wonder is why no one has mentioned the amount of sugar in the cereal. Per serving which usually is about 100grams right? There is 15grams of sugar. Thats about four teaspoons! I would never put four teaspoons of sugar on my cereal in the morning! They label the sugar as 'sucrose', but that's just a different name for table sugar.

Am I the only one who is concerned by this? Or have I got it wrong?

Hi there,

In response to the question of how healthy this cereal is for you I would also be concerned with the soy and GM aspects of it, but what I wonder is why no one has mentioned the amount of sugar in the cereal. Per serving which usually is about 100grams right? There is 15grams of sugar. Thats about four teaspoons! I would never put four teaspoons of sugar on my cereal in the morning! They label the sugar as 'sucrose', but that's just a different name for table sugar.

Am I the only one who is concerned by this? Or have I got it wrong?

It's higher than some, lower than others. What cereal are you not adding sugar too? Maybe it's got the sugar already?

Pronutro wholewheat has 20g of sugar/100g and gives 1551 kJ of energy

Normal Pronutro has 14g/100g and gives 1608 kJ

Normal Wheatbix has 1.8g/100g and gives 1323 kJ

Cornflakes have 5g/100g and give 1513 kJ

Special K has 33g/100g and gives 1674 kJ

Cocopops have 36g/100g and give 1525 kJ

It's higher than some, lower than others. What cereal are you not adding sugar too? Maybe it's got the sugar already?

Pronutro wholewheat has 20g of sugar/100g and gives 1551 kJ of energy

Normal Pronutro has 14g/100g and gives 1608 kJ

Normal Wheatbix has 1.8g/100g and gives 1323 kJ

Cornflakes have 5g/100g and give 1513 kJ

Special K has 33g/100g and gives 1674 kJ

Cocopops have 36g/100g and give 1525 kJ

Oh my goodness, to think of the hundreds of boxes of coco pops I consumed as a child! I'm a home made muesli or porrige gal now and I try to keep the fresh fruit I add minimal, but I guessing it all adds up quickly. Oh sugar, you are so bad for me but how I love you so!