What's the hottest you've ever ridden in?

RodTi

It was so hot that the camelback started boiling. I then put three teabags in the camelback and drank tea the whole day.

Fortunately my core temp was below 30 degrees because I wore a power balance band. Amazing.............

see told you they worked !!!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting reading this - but I guess everything is relative... I started relaying all this info to the wife - who by the way, has another 6 weeks to go (more or less) before our 2nd one, and first boy, arrives...

Needless to say, I sort of changed tack - since the look I received pretty much convinced me that until the day comes that I experience Paarl's heat whilst 8 months pregnant, I should just shut up and HTFU... ;)

Look... I agree 56deg is out there. I can go down under now I have trained. BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. IT WAS SOOOO HOT. The part after the church where they added the extra 5k loop for no good reason, and we were poked. people were laying under the trees to get out of the sun. I had 4 punctures and had enough. ready to kill for a glass of cold water.

Edited by GTRacing

Interesting reading this - but I guess everything is relative... I started relaying all this info to the wife - who by the way, has another 6 weeks to go (more or less) before our 2nd one, and first boy, arrives...

Needless to say, I sort of changed tack - since the look I received pretty much convinced me that until the day comes that I experience Paarl's heat whilst 8 months pregnant, I should just shut up and HTFU... ;)

Never mess wif da preggy female dude :) and dont underestimate them they can move quite fast when it pleases them. But tell the misses pregnant in this heat she has my sympathy, and i blame you for bad planning but effective execution.

A couple years back I helped my brother out with a race (running not cycling) in the States. Started the race at 06h00 with temps of 38C and got up to 52C by mid-day. Needless to say it was quite warm and I was happy I was not the one out running in such extreme heat. The organisers considered that years race to be quite pleasent as we had fairly decent cloud cover for most of the day :blink:

On the local front, but also running related, during the Addo trail run a couple years back we got temps of 45C with no wind. Sections of that run felt quite unpleasant too.

2 years back the Nissan Mtb race in Hilton. We went into the valley with no wind and it reached 40 deg hot and humid. To top it off the organisers ran out of water at the water point. STUPID. So alot baled. I dehygrated and blew and walked out the valley. The marathon was called off from 110 kms and the did the 75k route. MADNESS.

On a JHB to Durban trip in mid December, on the road between Volksrus & Ladysmith 47C, reading taken in the following car. It felt as if our tyres were sticking to the tar.

Not the hottest I've ever trained in (Rustenburg gets a lot hotter, and is more humid), but late yesterday's ride gave me an avg of 35C, with min 33C and max 38C. Only managed 35km, almost emptied both my bottles. :thumbdown:

Apologies for getting all technical, but sometimes there's a need for an explanation...

There's a number of very good reasons why temp cannot be measured in sunlight, and therefore a very good reason why the 56 measured on someones Polar during van gaalens is way off. In a very simple explanation, a thermometer has a given volume which is much lower than the volume of your body.

If you put the thermometer (polar in this case) in the sun, the tiny volume of the polar easily heats up due to radiation. Also if you look at the shape of a polar, it is flat with a big screen, thus it has a very large surface area exposed to sunlight in relation to the volume / mass. The polar is also typically coloured dark, with a grey screen and maybe even with a matt type of paint on the sides.

Your body on the other hand, is light coloured (if you're white), you sit upright, thus the exposed area to the sunlight is way smaller in percentage terms, a lot of the radiation energy gets absorbed AND dissipated by your clothes. You also sweat, which cools down your body when the sweat evaporates. A polar doesn't sweat, thus it doesn't get the same cooling effect that you do.

The bottom line, is that even you and your polar are both in the sun, you (as a human) are not nearly "heated" to the same extent through sunlight as your polar.

Getting more technical, you can heat stuff by either convection (movement of hot air / water) or by radiation (exposure to sunlight). it is not practical and repeatable to measure radiation heat (which is also only a small percentage of the total heat that you experience when cycling anyway), but it is practical and repeatable to measure convection heat (shade air temperature).

If one would do some calcs regarding a specific individual, sitting on a specific position on the bike, with a specific colour top, with a specific wind temp and sweat evaporation rate, yes, then it is possible to determine the "actual temp" that that person is experiencing (maybe a degree of 3 higher than the shade temp).

Hope this wasn't too boring and makes sense. I'm not even gonna comment on the 76 degrees! :D

I get your explanation, and I also doubt these units are reliable enough to be used (have they been calibrated? doubtful), but it does given an indication of relative temperature. Plus, the polar/garmin unit does not have a way of regulating the "internal" temperature like we do as humans, so things would be different if our bodies failed to regulate the internal temperature.

a phrase a few of my mates learnt in school... why do we feel cold? the psychological phenomenon of the human anatomy due to the lack of ultra violet rays penetrating the pores of the epidermis

Glad to share the hub with someone as intelligent as you..... :clap:

Most guys I know would have blundered through that and then wondered why their scrambled eggs has broken glass in it :blink:

56deg at 13:00 doing the van gaalens nissin race a few weeks back. felt the heat come of the ground.

Agreed. KAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!

Get a new HRM, yours is stuffed.

Mine was 47 degrees through the karoo, about 70 kms out of Britstown.

I drank close to 15 litres of water that day on the 270 km stage between Kimberly and Britstown!!! Thank the Lord the next day was overcast!

45 degrees at last years MTB Argus. Had to take a 20minute break to get my hard rate down from 201 and get rid of the goose bumps, not a pleasent experience. Lesson learned, if you can't breath, just stop!