Hear Rate .... how accurate

Vetseun

Yes, go test yourself or push as hard as you think you should be going!!! If you're doing an interval, it's gotta hurt. If you're cruising, its gotta be easy.

Takes notes and remember where these HR numbers lie. After a while you'll know exactly where your HR needs to be for what type of training / racing

Also, as you get fitter, your lactate threshold, anaerobic threshold and all these things will change too in relation to your max HR, so in a year from now your HR limits / zones can be way different from what it is now, even if you had it tested in a lab...

Edited by rudi-h

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A great, and enjoyable max HR test.

Steps

- Put on Polar and get a heart rate reading.

- Start up PC, connect to the internet

- Open Google Images

- Type Megan Fox in search box

- Open any pic to full screen view

- Ogle for 30 sec

- Record heart rate off Polar

- Max HR = recorded HR * factor of 1.759

I used what the guys at Polar told me at it was pretty much the same as what I got when I had a proper fitness assesment done.

Warm up on you bike for a good 15 mins or so. Then get yourself a nice long hill. 5% gradient will do. Then sprint it out as hard as you can. Try it three times. Take your highest recorded reading and add 5 to it. It worked for me.

Funny enough in my case the 220-age formula was pretty accurate when I first started using a HRM (long time ago).

I believe everyone should do the max hr test once and then rather do Lactic Threshold tests.

And if you going to do the max HR test do it properly under supervision with another person who knows what is required otherwise chances are you will not do it properly hard enough.

EDIT: I dont think Megan Fox is qualified to supervise.

Edited by SwissVan

Bru you need help :lol:

I normally do pyramids for threshold endurance intervals(85-89% of max), then you cough copper blood...trust me

The HR level you are doing there = basic endurance, and yes it should feel like you are cruising(75-85% of max)

And then i also do overload endurance and lactate production intervals(90-100%) which is where i want to slip into a coma but that's another story

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A great, and enjoyable max HR test.

Steps

- Put on Polar and get a heart rate reading.

- Start up PC, connect to the internet

- Open Google Images

- Type Megan Fox in search box

- Open any pic to full screen view

- Ogle for 30 sec

- Record heart rate off Polar

- Max HR = recorded HR * factor of 1.759

I saw a trainer at the gym doing a max test on a chick the other night. She genuine looked as if she was going to puke and then pass out. I agree you need somebody to push you otherwise you wont give it your all.

Funny enough in my case the 220-age formula was pretty accurate when I first started using a HRM (long time ago).

I believe everyone should do the max hr test once and then rather do Lactic Threshold tests.

And if you going to do the max HR test do it properly under supervision with another person who knows what is required otherwise chances are you will not do it properly hard enough.

EDIT: I dont think Megan Fox is qualified to supervise.

Agent - didnt read the whole tread - did you use a HRM or did you just calculate?

Reeason Im asking is this ex:

Max 200 bpm

50% is not 100bpm because you resting HR might be 60BPM

Thus: MHR - RHR = 140 BPM

The formula is (MHR - RHR) = HRR Heart rate reserve

Carvonin Formula

THR =(MHR - RHR) X % + RHR

Lets try the ex again:

MHR 200BPM

RHR 60BPM

HRR 140BPM

80% = (200 - 60) X 80% + RHR

= 140 X 80% + 60

= 112 + 60

= 172 BPM

200 BPM X 80% = 160 BPM

See the diff?

I been told by some elites....how you determine your max Heartrate, you cycle as fast as possible up a steep climb till you can't anymore, at that moment you stop....then that is your max Heart Rate....

Formulas don't work, according to cualculations mine is around 193...i can go way over if I push myself hard up a hill or a sprint

I did that once. :excl:

I vaugely remember a paramedic saying something about "low ....load and go"

What part of elite did I misunderstand?

I started a new program, yesterday I had to do an interval session. Had to be @ 80% of max heart rate. Problem is at 80% of my calculated heart rate I was cruising.Intervals should hurt, this was a joke. Could have stayed in that zone for hours. I used the 220 minus your age calculation to determine my max, I now seriously doubt if it is accurate.

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated

That formula is rubbish. A rough guide. I was 4 beats over my "max" today just riding to MTN Bike Park

If you have to guesstimate a max hr, there is another formula...

MaxHR = 208 - Age * 0.7

This one doesn't work for me either

Here's another one:

New Mathematical Formula Age/Weight Predicted Maximum Heart Rate

Males: 210 minus 1/2 your age minus 5% of your body weight + 4

Females: 210 minus - 1/2 your age minus 1% of your body weight + 0

Let me give you an example. I am 50 years old and weight 130 pounds. My arithmetic formula then would be as follows:

210 - 25 (50% x 50 years) minus 1.3 + 0 (female) = Max HR of 183 bpm

That's fairly close (within 10 beats) of my actually tested maximum heart rate which is 193 bpm.

If you ever go to an athletic club or gym and see the Max HR charts you have to be cautious. They aren't very accurate. Maximum heart rate is genetically determined, it simply isn't going to decrease according to those charts.

A few tips about Max HR which you may be curious about. It's altitude sensitive and increases as you go higher and it also is affected by drugs such as beta blocks and even antihistamines. It cannot be increased by training and a high Max HR does not predict better performance.

Extract from http://www.howtobefit.com/five-heart-rate-zones.htm

This is closer to what I think my max may be at the moment

Stop wasting your time with HR training. Get a power meter or ride on RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion).

Time trial (running) is a nice way to see your max. When you are less than 1km from the finish and you see you are going to smash your PB (and your friends). When you get to the end if you don't feel like collapsing and puking then you haven't hit your max

Time trial (running) is a nice way to see your max. When you are less than 1km from the finish and you see you are going to smash your PB (and your friends). When you get to the end if you don't feel like collapsing and puking then you haven't hit your max

I know max is max but some people say you have a running max and a cycling max. Is there any truth in this? I could push my HR much higher running than I ever did on a bike.

I started a new program, yesterday I had to do an interval session. Had to be @ 80% of max heart rate. Problem is at 80% of my calculated heart rate I was cruising.Intervals should hurt, this was a joke. Could have stayed in that zone for hours. I used the 220 minus your age calculation to determine my max, I now seriously doubt if it is accurate.

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated

I can tell you now you are going to struggle to get to your max heart rate on the road. I have done extensive testing on the road and at various high performance centres with an olympic level coach for the past 3 years and I have never got close to my max on the road.

Highest on road ever achieved in testing, intervals and max heart rate tests was 197. In a proper lab set-up whereby you can increase your power incrementally until VO2max and beyond for heart rate in terms of time I hit a 206. That is nearly 5% difference and a big difference when it comes to intervals.

There is also another thing to consider, as you get fitter you lactate heart rate increases as you are effectively becoming more efficient.

So, if you want an accurate max heart rate test I suggest you either spend the R300-R500 at one of the University or Sport Science labs and also get your current lactate heart rate or you do the test on an indoor trainer by simulating a lab test. If you have a power meter or can borrow one it will be great.

You will however need to repeat the test every 8 weeks or so as your lactate heart rate will shift as you progress through the season.

Are you with a coach now?