Climber or a Racer ?

CharlV

After reading the "Bonk" thread I realised I needed to understand the general perception on Climbing vs. Racing and how you can minimise your weak points during races :

My predicament is that I just can not perform well in races with lots of hills like Done2Dome(03h18) Jacaranda Classic(03h40) and 94.7(4h18!!!!!!!) :thumbdown: ,even during training I just dont seem to improve my times over dedicated training routes with hills in it . On the Flip side I do really well on Flat races like Carnival City and Lost city Classic ,relative to my group placing and age group of course .

How do you sort this problem out in your training programme ?:angry:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are riding on a flat coarse, gravity is not a factor. So if you are eg. 90kg powerfully built fit guy, on a flat race you are going to be tough to shake off!! BUT, the minute the road tips upward, the 70kg guy next to you, with chizelled legs, is gona drop you with ease. You can train hills all you like, you will obiously improve because you getting fitter, but until you loose weight you at a serious disadvantage!!!

If you are a lightweight, and you are having this problem, then Angazi!!!

When you are riding on a flat coarse, gravity is not a factor. So if you are eg. 90kg powerfully built fit guy, on a flat race you are going to be tough to shake off!! BUT, the minute the road tips upward, the 70kg guy next to you, with chizelled legs, is gona drop you with ease. You can train hills all you like, you will obiously improve because you getting fitter, but until you loose weight you at a serious disadvantage!!!

Thats my problem...I climb well tho, but just need that extra bit....busy with a diet but I will get there

OK ,so I've just turned 40 dry.gif , 1.89m and 104.8kg's about 6 kg's overweight ,which will be less Come Monday morning! ,

Surely weight is only a portion of the sollution ,what about riding strategy going up and down hill , do I give it pipes down hill, and slow uphill , or the other way around ?:blink:

but it hurts!!!!!!!!!!:unsure:

then do the repeats to the background tjoons of Rammstein, Slipknot, Infected Mushroom etc etc. Anything with a hard, constant beat will help you to forget the pain... and helo you to overcomme the barrier that is always there. Just remember to make the music soft, otherwise you won't be able to hear the traffic. Either that, or go to a secluded place where nobody drives and do it there...

Or you can get one of BradJackson's mobile boom boxes!

I climb reasonably well because I'm light weight but I struggle like hell when a sterk oke starts powering on the flats and on the down hills.For me to keep up on a down hill I must trap like 120rpm :P

But I agree, weight is the answer here.

then do the repeats to the background tjoons of Rammstein, Slipknot, Infected Mushroom etc etc. Anything with a hard, constant beat will help you to forget the pain... and helo you to overcomme the barrier that is always there. Just remember to make the music soft, otherwise you won't be able to hear the traffic. Either that, or go to a secluded place where nobody drives and do it there...

Or you can get one of BradJackson's mobile boom boxes!

OK!

OK ,so I've just turned 40 dry.gif , 1.89m and 104.8kg's about 6 kg's overweight ,which will be less Come Monday morning! ,

Surely weight is only a portion of the sollution ,what about riding strategy going up and down hill , do I give it pipes down hill, and slow uphill , or the other way around ?:blink:

lose 25kg's as easy as that. harsh but true.

try another approach to the hill, start off at your own pace at the bottom even if you see okes going past you stick to your own comfort zone and soon you will over take all the vinige fannies closer to the top,

Move to the front of the bunch on the fast sections so that you start the climb at the front. Then hopefully if you are not to fat you will be at the back of the bunch when you reach the top. (If too fat then you will be off and never see them again) In that case I recommend to get into traithlon as you will need the time trial skills for those long lonely sections. An Ironman or 2 will also help with the weight.

try another approach to the hill, start off at your own pace at the bottom even if you see okes going past you stick to your own comfort zone and soon you will over take all the vinige fannies closer to the top,

that is such good advice. many hubbers I have spoken to all say that. and it really works.

i'm no expert, but what does help is to keep your momentum through at least the bottom of a dip starting the hill. If you're going at 50km/hr, and you maintain that for 10 seconds going into the hill, you get quite far up the other side before slowing down to normal climbing pace!

I'm also reasonably heavy (86kg @ 1.85m - 5 kg's heavier than the heaviest guy in the Pro Peleton) and also find it hard to stay with the lightweights! Much stronger than them in time-trialing though!