Chain Cleaner Gadget

Christopher Brunsdon

I feed the excess to my pitbill. That is why he is called Diesel. Fights like a Tasmanian Devil after the fact.

Is a pitbill some kind of bird that fights. Dalk het hy die African Grey's doodgemaak???????

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also have the Park Tools cleaner, takes off most of the grime quite quickly and efficiently.

I find Clean Green foams a bit with brushing, going to try some Pink stuff from Jacks that apparently does the same as Clean Green without foaming.

Is a pitbill some kind of bird that fights. Dalk het hy die African Grey's doodgemaak???????

One day I will see you at a race and then we can talk about it in person.

One day I will see you at a race and then we can talk about it in person.

Threat???????

:thumbup:

Guys. The use of petrol, diesel, paraffin etc to clean chains is plain criminal.

Where does the excess go. How do you dispose of the stuff?

Please don't answer the question, you may incriminate yourself.

Getting this stuff in the soil and in the water system is not kosher. Don't do it.

Most of earth's pollution doesn't come from mega disasters like oil tankers hitting the rocks. It comes from incrimental pulluting events like bike washing with diesel.

Don't do it. Use soapy suff.

:clap: :thumbup:

My way to clean the Tandem.......

Chain - Sunlight Liquid and BBB clamshell washer

Cassette and chainwheels - Sunlight Liquid and brush

Now wash off all suds with a hosepipe (Do not use pressure) on the bike and wash the whole bike with a car wash shampoo

Leave bike to dry and oil chain and other other with your favourite lubricant

For a final finishing spray some Mr Min on a soft cloth and wipe the frame down. Works like magic

Guys. The use of petrol, diesel, paraffin etc to clean chains is plain criminal.

Where does the excess go. How do you dispose of the stuff?

Please don't answer the question, you may incriminate yourself.

Getting this stuff in the soil and in the water system is not kosher. Don't do it.

Most of earth's pollution doesn't come from mega disasters like oil tankers hitting the rocks. It comes from incrimental pulluting events like bike washing with diesel.

Don't do it. Use soapy suff.

How should one dispose of Parafin etc?

There is a better way. Buy a nice paint brush with long bristles and some diesel or meths. Simply "paint" the whole drive train with the dipped brush whilst rotating the cranks backwards. Get into the gears, etc. After about 1min it should be spotless. Then spray it with water and wipe it down. Allows to dry and then lube.

This is how the pro team mechanics clean a drivetrain. To complete the bikewash just dip the same paintbrush into a big bucket of soapy water after rinsing and do the same to the whole bike. 10min and your bike should be spotless.

DO NOT USE PETROL OR BENZINE - FLAMMABLE AND A CAN CAUSE CANCER

Luckily Diesel and meths are not flamable?

The waste departments in big cities have disposal facilities. Pikitup in Jhb where I live, have oil collection tanks at all the major Pikitup self-service depots.

Basically, go to the place where you dump stuff (it makes for a nice family outing to go treasure hunting....not) and ask for the oil tank.

Alternatively take it to your nearest mechanic and ask if you can dump it in his oil collection drum.

You can also go to www.rosefoundation.org.za for a list of such depots.

All the old oil and hydrocarbons are used to fuel cement kilns in South Africa. A very, very small percentage of our old oil gets re-refined and recycled. It mostly gets burned.

You will agree that all this is a schlepp and therefore 99% of people don't do it. They just dump it.

My view on this is to not create the problem in the first place. Rather use soapy degreaser that can be disposed down the drain or even in the garden.

The best is probably burn...soak dried used teabags in used parafin, works just like blitz...If anything it gives you an excuse to "tan n vleisie" :thumbup:

The waste departments in big cities have disposal facilities. Pikitup in Jhb where I live, have oil collection tanks at all the major Pikitup self-service depots.

Basically, go to the place where you dump stuff (it makes for a nice family outing to go treasure hunting....not) and ask for the oil tank.

Alternatively take it to your nearest mechanic and ask if you can dump it in his oil collection drum.

You can also go to www.rosefoundation.org.za for a list of such depots.

All the old oil and hydrocarbons are used to fuel cement kilns in South Africa. A very, very small percentage of our old oil gets re-refined and recycled. It mostly gets burned.

You will agree that all this is a schlepp and therefore 99% of people don't do it. They just dump it.

My view on this is to not create the problem in the first place. Rather use soapy degreaser that can be disposed down the drain or even in the garden.

So what If Im using a tray while cleaning it, the excess goes into another bottle to be used again. Then I will re-use and when its finally dirty enough, it gets used to make fire lighters. Re-used & recycled.

Luckily Diesel and meths are not flamable?

Meths and petrol are F%$&en flamible, but Diesel / parafin, burns but its not nearly the same... infact, if you had a can of diesel in one hand and burning meilie cob in the other (ie. burning fire breaks) you can put the burning mielie cob out by dipping it in the diesel.

Meths and petrol are F%$&en flamible, but Diesel / parafin, burns but its not nearly the same... infact, if you had a can of diesel in one hand and burning meilie cob in the other (ie. burning fire breaks) you can put the burning mielie cob out by dipping it in the diesel.

I saw a guy who got burnt when diesel exploded that he wanted to use to light a braai fire....... not a nice sight..... snaaks genoeg dit was mieliestronke wat hy wou aansteek.

I saw a guy who got burnt when diesel exploded that he wanted to use to light a braai fire....... not a nice sight..... snaaks genoeg dit was mieliestronke wat hy wou aansteek.

I think you must be mistaken. Diesel does not explode unless it is under a very high compression ration. It then auto combusts together with a bit of heat added.

At worst, if it was diesel you saw, it would have maybe just burnt, but not exploded.

I think you must be mistaken. Diesel does not explode unless it is under a very high compression ration. It then auto combusts together with a bit of heat added.

At worst, if it was diesel you saw, it would have maybe just burnt, but not exploded.

Whaddever.... I saw the person.... He said explode.... Like in whoosh allover him. Why do you need to get nitty gritty with every fkn issue.... It is very irritating.

OK OK back to the topic....

I use paraffin and just flush it down my stormwater drain that I drilled into the main sewerage line!